Any suggestions on fixing this rust?

I would call the person who doesn’t point out safety caps when selling a Jeep dishonest. It takes away from the value of the Jeep. It should be made clear during the sale.

I understand what you're saying but something like filling rust holes with bondo then painting over it would be dishonest.

If the repair was done correctly, the frame is still solid and nothing is being hidden from the buyer I wouldn't call that dishonest.

I was originally against the idea of safety caps too. Not necessarily from a quality perspective but more because I thought it negatively affected the originality of my Jeep. The challenge however with the frame swap option other than cost was actually finding one. It’s not like Mopar is making anymore of these so either way originality was out the door. The safety cap repair exceeded my expectations. It looks brand new and as solid as it ever was. Cost was around $1300 and I think the engine will give out before the frame does. Mine only needed the middle section however so that makes it easier.

I understand what you're saying but something like filling rust holes with bondo then painting over it would be dishonest.

If the repair was done correctly, the frame is still solid and nothing is being hidden from the buyer I wouldn't call that dishonest.

If the Jeep was in an accident and the frame was bent, would you not tell a potential buyer that the frame was straightened? I think frame repair should be made very clear when selling a Jeep.

I was originally against the idea of safety caps too. Not necessarily from a quality perspective but more because I thought it negatively affected the originality of my Jeep. The challenge however with the frame swap option other than cost was actually finding one. It’s not like Mopar is making anymore of these so either way originality was out the door. The safety cap repair exceeded my expectations. It looks brand new and as solid as it ever was. Cost was around $1300 and I think the engine will give out before the frame does. Mine only needed the middle section however so that makes it easier.

This is true. Getting a frame is a complete PIA. What I’ve found recently though is that if you post in TJ Facebook groups asking to buy a frame, at least 10 people will respond saying they have one. I wish I knew that when I was searching for a frame.

Just for perspective, I spent $1000 on my frame, and about another $1000 transporting it from southern Tennessee to Chicago.

I am currently installing caps made by Pocono Metals, similiar to the Safe T Caps, except they are 10ga steel. I have owned the Jeep since new, it’s a 2000 and I have 215,000 mile on it! Now It’s our toy/spare vehicle. I installed a 4” lift with transfer case drop about 7 years ago and didn’t have any issues with the transmission crossmember, but missed the information on the design flaw allowing the frame to rot from within. The outside was cleaned and coated a couple times. Then when a wheel cylinder failed, I rolled under to investigate and noticed the rotted bolt holes the crossmember. That’s when I found the forum and the reasons.

I have the drivers side installed and am working on the passenger side now, will take the time to clean up everything and recoat it. When I cut open the frame, the bottom was pretty thin, but the top half of the frame was pretty good. I cleaned up the inside with a wire brush and plan to coat the inside after it’s all welded up.

I looked at this way, I recently retired, know how to weld and have a 220V MIG unit so might as well give it a shot. I have roughly $750 invested in the caps, new fuel tank skid plate, and new Magnaflow muffler. If I can get another couple years of enjoyment with light wheeling cruising around the country side.

Reactions: Fughuert and bromel
I am currently installing caps made by Pocono Metals, similiar to the Safe T Caps, except they are 10ga steel. I have owned the Jeep since new, it’s a 2000 and I have 215,000 mile on it! Now It’s our toy/spare vehicle. I installed a 4” lift with transfer case drop about 7 years ago and didn’t have any issues with the transmission crossmember, but missed the information on the design flaw allowing the frame to rot from within. The outside was cleaned and coated a couple times. Then when a wheel cylinder failed, I rolled under to investigate and noticed the rotted bolt holes the crossmember. That’s when I found the forum and the reasons.

I have the drivers side installed and am working on the passenger side now, will take the time to clean up everything and recoat it. When I cut open the frame, the bottom was pretty thin, but the top half of the frame was pretty good. I cleaned up the inside with a wire brush and plan to coat the inside after it’s all welded up.

I looked at this way, I recently retired, know how to weld and have a 220V MIG unit so might as well give it a shot. I have roughly $750 invested in the caps, new fuel tank skid plate, and new Magnaflow muffler. If I can get another couple years of enjoyment with light wheeling cruising around the country side.

We're actually in very similar situations. My Jeep is also one owner and I have 226,000 on it. I never knew of the frame rot issues until it was too late.

If you ever want to go wheeling at the cliffs of the badlands sometime, let me know. I've seen a couple safety capped Jeeps in person, but I've never really been able to check them out.

Nothing wrong or half assed with welding in new frame sections if done well. They’re not weaker than a factory frame if those are the fears associated with them. I haven't seen repaired frame Jeeps being offered for much, if at all, less than original frame Jeeps.

I don't understand the aversion towards them especially if you're planning to modify your Jeep, anything like the savvy mid arm, shock outboarding, coilover hoops, etc all require welding and cutting up your frame whats the problem with a patch?

Unless you're building a time capsule that will be stored away after a frame swap I would say its not a very smart move to spend that much money and time when a repair can be done in a weekend and you're going to end up doing weld on mods anyways.

I don't understand the aversion towards them especially if you're planning to modify your Jeep, anything like the savvy mid arm, shock outboarding, coilover hoops, etc all require welding and cutting up your frame whats the problem with a patch?

True, & funny, never thought about it like that. We bolt on & weave in so much non-original crap onto these vehicles but somehow it’s a mortal sin to touch the frame in a repair/reinforcement sense as opposed to a modification sense, makes no sense. Here’s to hoping I never face this dilemma but if I do I doubt I’d have a problem going the SafeTcap route.

Thanks for your input, I am getting bad reviews from people that have not used them and great reviews from people that have used them. Middle on mine a well, got my feelers out for a good welder.
How long ago did you get this done??

Thanks for your input, I am getting bad reviews from people that have not used them and great reviews from people that have used them. Middle on mine a well, got my feelers out for a good welder.
How long ago did you get this done??
I got it done in September of last year. Here is a link my post leading up to getting the work done. It was actually $1600 including some additional work for the exhaust hangers. It looks cleaner in person than in the pics and really seems solid. If it was a body or suspension mount, I would be a lot more worried about it but if it's the middle section, I see no concern with safetycaps.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/well-i-got-the-dreaded-news.14065/

What is a good product that can be sprayed into a good frame that could prevent this from happening. Lets say I get a garden sprayer and extend the wand with plastic tubing and pull it through the frame. Any ideas for a fluid that could be sprayed in???????

What is a good product that can be sprayed into a good frame that could prevent this from happening. Lets say I get a garden sprayer and extend the wand with plastic tubing and pull it through the frame. Any ideas for a fluid that could be sprayed in???????
Lookup Eastwood frame coating and similar competing products.