Anybody install an aftermarket cruise control system on their TJ?

Since no body had any information on a thread I started yesterday about the wiring harness for CC, I figured I'd look into aftermarket kits. Unfortunately for me, my 2006 was not a model that was pre-wired for CC. I've considered buying a full wiring harness off eBay, but I don't trust the users there enough to label their items correctly. I don't feel like paying $50-100 for something I already have. If I could find just the "overlay harness", I be more inclined to use factory CC, but these parts are becoming more rare and rare.

So, aftermarket it is. I found one on a website called The Cruise Control Store. They sell a brand called Rostra ($250).

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/1997-2006-jeep-wrangler-complete-rostra-cruise-control-kit/

Does anybody have any experience installing these?

I haven’t used their aftermarket products, but I have purchased OEM cruise control for another car (F150) from them. No issues; kit had everything I needed. I used factory parts on my install; though I had the wiring harness in the engine bay.

If OEM wasn’t available I would have probably gone with that product. I imagine the installation would be basically the same as installing a hand throttle just with extra wiring. Consider installing a hand throttle at the same time as the CC if you intend to install one in the future.

For larger rock formations. It acts as a governor to maintain engine rpm so you can concentrate on where your tires are going while not worrying about stalling. Also very helpful in maintaining a controlled decent on a steep decline.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Basically it’s a lever that duplicates the function of the gas pedal. When you’re bouncing over terrain, it’s easier to keep a hand on the throttle than deal with the jerking motion of your foot bouncing off the gas pedal.
Most hand throttles also lock in place so you can set a higher RPM than idle and let it run on its own.

Great for scenarios like @Goatman mentioned. Also handy if you need to raise idle RPMs to squeeze more out of the alternator when winching or more out of a belt driven air compressor when using compressed air.

While some people claim it can be used as redneck cruise control, do NOT lock in a hand throttle on the road. Unlike cruise control, it doesn’t disengage when you hit the brakes or the clutch, making it harder to stop or causing your engine to bounce off the rev limiter. (It also doesn’t react to speed at all, and you’d have to adjust it every time the slope or the wind speed change.)

I have Rostra, just gathering patience, sanity, and free time to waste on this job.
Considering that i am a potato when it comes to electrical, my face cringed and butt cheeks clinged when i opened the box and saw the amount of wires that thing has.

I have not seen any write ups for getting Rostra into a Jeep, so i may do one.

I had that setup on mine for a while and it worked great. I finally took it out because I needed the space under the hood for shock hoops to go. It is basic and works well. Wiring is pretty easy.

I saw a write up from @Chris I believe a while back about installing factory CC in a TJ that didnt come with one. He said it was one of the easiest mods he had done and only took 30ish minutes. I need to find it and see about finding parts as well.

Reactions: Chris
I saw a write up from @Chris I believe a while back about installing factory CC in a TJ that didnt come with one. He said it was one of the easiest mods he had done and only took 30ish minutes. I need to find it and see about finding parts as well.

If you are wired for it.
There was a post somewhere stating that if you don't have wiring, it will be a major pita to go factory rout.

I installed a Rostra system in my 97 TJ that didn't come wired for cruise control. Worked great. Not much harder than wiring a car stereo.

Their universal clutch pedal sensor bracket wasn't right and I never got around to making a proper one. I just tapped the brake before hitting the clutch.

They also have a nice selection of control devices if you don't want a new awkward arm on the steering wheel. I got the little panel that mounts to the dash.

Worked great. Worth every penny for my drives from OR to the Rubicon Trail every year.

I installed a Rostra system in my 97 TJ that didn't come wired for cruise control. Worked great. Not much harder than wiring a car stereo.

Their universal clutch pedal sensor bracket wasn't right and I never got around to making a proper one. I just tapped the brake before hitting the clutch.

They also have a nice selection of control devices if you don't want a new awkward arm on the steering wheel. I got the little panel that mounts to the dash.

Worked great. Worth every penny for my drives from OR to the Rubicon Trail every year.

I was thinking to to exchange traditional for a panel control. Where did you mount yours?
Also, did you have to order clutch pedal sensor? Mine does not have one, and i did not notice it being mentioned in the manul, so i figured it would utilize what ever Jeep already has in place.

There should already be a sensor in place for the clutch ignition interlock. Whether or not it can be used for the cruise control I have no idea.

I was thinking to to exchange traditional for a panel control. Where did you mount yours?
Also, did you have to order clutch pedal sensor? Mine does not have one, and i did not notice it being mentioned in the manul, so i figured it would utilize what ever Jeep already has in place.
Unfortunately I sold that Jeep, so I can't take a picture, but I put on the dash board, right below the temp sensor gauge at the seam between the instrument panel and the vertical panel below it. This allowed me to get away without cutting a hole in my interior.

The clutch pedal sensor has to be purchased separately. They assume most people have an automatic tranny.

There should already be a sensor in place for the clutch ignition interlock. Whether or not it can be used for the cruise control I have no idea.
You'd have to do some creative wiring to reuse that sensor. It's currently used to prevent you from starting the Jeep without the clutch in. If you don't like that feature, you could rewire it for disconnecting the cruise control. If you want both though, I think you'd have to wire the sensor to a double relay that will connect/disconnect both the ignition circuit and the clutch circuit. Interesting idea though.

Since no body had any information on a thread I started yesterday about the wiring harness for CC, I figured I'd look into aftermarket kits. Unfortunately for me, my 2006 was not a model that was pre-wired for CC. I've considered buying a full wiring harness off eBay, but I don't trust the users there enough to label their items correctly. I don't feel like paying $50-100 for something I already have. If I could find just the "overlay harness", I be more inclined to use factory CC, but these parts are becoming more rare and rare.

So, aftermarket it is. I found one on a website called The Cruise Control Store. They sell a brand called Rostra ($250).

https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/1997-2006-jeep-wrangler-complete-rostra-cruise-control-kit/

Does anybody have any experience installing these?

I bought one a few years ago for my 06. Pretty easy to install if you go by the instructions. I mounted my lever just under the turn signal arm. I'm always contemplating moving it, it's hard to see the lever while driving as the steering wheel spokes get in the way.

Now that I've had it for a while, I've noticed that the cable casing that goes thru the plastic lock, which mounts to the bracket on the intake, tends to slip. This slippage creates a drag and sometimes the accelerator is slow to retract. Between some tape and lock-tight, it's been okay.

Also, I frequently drive my Jeep from Colorado to Northern California and have noticed that from time to time, the cruise control will disengage for no particular reason. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.

I'd definitely like to change over to a factory setup, with wheel buttons....maybe down the line-

Ray

Also, I frequently drive my Jeep from Colorado to Northern California and have noticed that from time to time, the cruise control will disengage for no particular reason. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with it.
I never had problems with the slippage/drag, but yeah, the disengaging thing, I did. Never figured out a rhyme or reason for when, but it was my long trips from OR to CA it would just quit like i hit the brake and I'd have to set it a again. Pretty rare, but weird.

I never had problems with the slippage/drag, but yeah, the disengaging thing, I did. Never figured out a rhyme or reason for when, but it was my long trips from OR to CA it would just quit like i hit the brake and I'd have to set it a again. Pretty rare, but weird.

Totally sucks when you have a good 75-80 mph pace going, a semi coming up, then wham, instant slow down.... :)

Reactions: vinsanity
Totally sucks when you have a good 75-80 mph pace going, a semi coming up, then wham, instant slow down.... :)
Yeah. Our highly aerodynamic Jeeps running at 2800 RPMs, definitely jolt back pretty hard when you instantly drop the throttle to zero. 😮

Reactions: WWII Jeeper
How do you know if your Jeep has the wiring installed to add factory cruise? On say, an '06 Rubicon🤔? It has a normal steering wheel. No buttons.

How do you know if your Jeep has the wiring installed to add factory cruise? On say, an '06 Rubicon🤔? It has a normal steering wheel. No buttons.
There should be a random connector in the engine bay not connected to anything on or near the driver's side fender. As for the steering wheel, if there is a connector behind the area for the buttons you should be good to go

The unused connector in the engine should be easy to recognize if there. Driver side fender, midway up, and is one of the connectors with the little red locking clip.

If you are sure what that looks like, the speed-o on the back of the transfer case, the fuel pump on near the gas tank, the hard top harness, and the cruise control may be the only red locking pin harnesses in the TJ.