Anyone else into RC rock crawling?

I've had RC cars since the Tamiya Frog. Then came the Associated RC10 and the hobby exploded.
I still have a bunch of cars left in my collection, all electric sold the gas stuff. Even ran a track where we ran 1/10 and 1/8 scale gas.
When I got the Jeep of course had to get a crawler, Axial SCX10 ii with brushless and telemetry. I have Vanquish Bronco body for it waiting for some paint.
You won't find any TJ bodies at least ones that look scale. Tamiya had a YJ body and some are floating around out there.

I do like the concept of the new SCX10iii carbon chassis, but maybe down the road.

I see these threads and it make me want to dig the old Tamiya Blackfoot out. I have two chassis and one original ABS body for that Blackfoot that would look awesome sitting on an axial crawler chassis. Had an RC10t gas powered truck back in the day too, that thing was amazing, but the scale model stuff is really what interests me.

Reactions: reddvltj
1970s Marx Toys Jeep. 1.9 SCX10 based. 3s, Tekin Redline 17.5, Mamba Max Pro, Castle BEC, baller titanium gear huge oz. steering servo.

The driver is Maldia DeCabello (bad hair day in Spanish:LOL:)

20150209_162722.jpg

20150209_162848.jpg

20150214_173323_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150327_164638_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20150327_164909.jpg

20211231_143948.jpg

20211231_144943.jpg

1970s Hasbro GI Joe Jeep. Axial based. CnC plasma cut ladder frame, 2.2 sticky Swampers, AR60 axles with spools and HD gears, all metal trans, MIP drive shafts, 3s, Tekin Redline 17.5, Mamba Max Pro ESC, Castle Pro BEC, baller steering servo, aluminum links, and 2wd Slash shocks.

Super heavy demo derby machine. Been crashed a lot, like a lot a lot. Used to be a complete body :D

IMG_20130623_182137_147.jpg

IMG_20130617_153614_905.jpg

IMG_20130701_181022_609.jpg

20220212_153122.jpg

IMG_20130705_163026_653.jpg

IMG_20130705_164324_153.jpg

IMG_20130705_165954_983.jpg

Got introduced to RC crawlers back in March. It's safe to say I'm hooked. Bought a Traxxas TRX-4 high trail. I downsized tires, bought weighted rims, switched to brass portal housings and knuckles, and upgraded to a 45kg steering servo.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

Lol! And then proceeds to document how many dumb hours he spent on his own dumb addiction. These little things are the bomb.

Technically I didnt document anything time wise 😃

Those are just two of the large scratch built hard body scalers. My stupidity comes in many sizes 😃

• USA Proud
i didn’t take a picture of his yota, just the snow machine. the yota was awesome. i’m used to lite weight RC cars not a truck that ways 40lbs with working winch.
a unimog with 6 wheel drive.
awesome stuff. just didn’t have time to take it all in.

Forgot about this one :D

Traxxas Emax. Kept the dual batt/ motor setup and 2 speed transmission. Associated Monster GT tires with no foams and a custom rear steer setup. Super fun. Should have just left it alone, but I took it apart for front end mods and never put it back together.

of50590394a.jpg

of50590394c.jpg

of50590394y.jpg

Being brand new to this game I'm just discovering these ideas like wheel weights and running with no foams. Do you also vent your tires? Do you lose a lot of tire life to sidewall wear? Does it matter? Lol

I'm not really planning on competing or anything but I do think it would be fun to make videos doing wild stuff that people on social media mistake for full size vehicles. 🤣 (This is partly why I would love to build a replica of my LJ). I've got rocks for days and half a mile of creek banks that I can cut shelf roads into. Just got to play with the tires and suspension to get their responses looking realistic and figure out how much to slow the video down.

In most cases you really should run something inside the tire or its just going to wad up. There are a bunch of different types of foam inserts but it comes down to preference. Its just like airing down really. I vent the wheels. Just drill a small hole on the inside.

My 2 favorites are the large scale hard body Jeeps. They are heavy and act like a 1:1 crawler except for the big HP. How you drive them is pretty much how you would drive your 1:1 if there were no risks, and the hand of god was waiting to come down and gab you when you make an oops 😃

I have spent hundreds of hours with my kids and wheeling/racing family goofing off RC rock crawling different places. We just stick a couple spare batteries in our pockets, a few tools, and head up a creek bed or down a rocky beach for a few hours.

This is Coyote Lake. We were there 2 or 3 days this trip, and its what we did most of the day. The rest of the day we shot guns at pans people leave behind. Hang them from trees with bungee cords and go to town 😃

coyote2011005.jpg

coyote2011006.jpg

IMAG0456.jpg

Got it out in some rocks around the house today for a shakedown run and set a baseline for the return on expected mods.

1. Definitely need the tires to be more flexy, so I'll be removing the foams.

2. The departure angle with this pickup body is atrocious. Don't think I'll be able to make the bed look anywhere decent by chopping so I'm shopping for a body, preferably hard. I started thinking I was gonna trim it because the tires run pretty hard when flexed out but with the departure angle I just need to start with something better.

3. Control is decent going forward, but reverse seems really touchy. I don't know if there's an adjustment to be made in the ESC or if I need to gear down just to make reverse more usable. It has portals which I didn't even know until I laid hands on the box, so I would think I'd be in a good spot gearing wise. Maybe I just need to practice and build some more dexterity in the reverse trigger direction. Does brushless help with that sort of thing or is that just longer battery life?

4. Gonna try the side battery mount instead of the rear. It's really light in the front which makes it want to cartwheel backward really easily on steeper climbs.

PXL_20230825_002124041.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230825_003235470.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230825_003634491.PORTRAIT.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj and RINC