Anyone have issues with their Antirock hitting the bolts for the power steering?

98chilipepper

1998 Jeep TJ anyone have issues with the Currie anti rock hitting the bolts for the power steering? Recently seen a picture of this and wanted to get one but don’t really want to grind it to make it work

I think the new current design took care of that occasional problem.

1998 Jeep TJ anyone have issues with the Currie anti rock hitting the bolts for the power steering? Recently seen a picture of this and wanted to get one but don’t really want to grind it to make it work
Nope, we just don't have that problem. Never ground one down yet.

DSC_4938.JPG

Ok... What kind of crazy tomfoolery is going on here?

Drilled out the steering box and welding nuts to the end of a tube, then welded the tube through opened bolt holes?
Those are recessed bolt heads. We drill out the bolt sleeves one at a time. Then we cut them down by about an inch or whatever allows the proper length of bolt to not bottom out on the unthreaded shank. Then we slide a piece of tube over the outboard end of the tube that is a snug fit and weld that up. Now we have the stock bolt sleeve with a recessed area and we weld that back in after we bolt it up to the steering gear that is held in place by the other two bolts. Rinse and repeat for the other two.

You have to do it in such a way that you don't change the plane of the ends of the bolt sleeves that touch the steering gear or you can distort the case on the gear and ruin it.

Those are recessed bolt heads. We drill out the bolt sleeves one at a time. Then we cut them down by about an inch or whatever allows the proper length of bolt to not bottom out on the unthreaded shank. Then we slide a piece of tube over the outboard end of the tube that is a snug fit and weld that up. Now we have the stock bolt sleeve with a recessed area and we weld that back in after we bolt it up to the steering gear that is held in place by the other two bolts. Rinse and repeat for the other two.

You have to do it in such a way that you don't change the plane of the ends of the bolt sleeves that touch the steering gear or you can distort the case on the gear and ruin it.
Very clever.

I saw this on Facespace and can't help but think there's more going on there. I just installed an AR on my 97 and the arms come very close to that bolt but don't contact it. I also don't think taking a grinder to the AR arms is the right solution either.
I agree with you, I don’t wanna pay $500 to then have to grind them lol

I agree with you, I don’t wanna pay $500 to then have to grind them lol
And if that was a common issue, the 10's of 1000's of TJ owners that have them would be on the 'net bitching about having to do that. They aren't and don't so something odd is going on there.

Last edited:
And if that was a common issue, the 10's of 1000's of TJ owners that have them would be on the 'net bitching about having to do that. They are and don't so something odd is going on there.
Agree with you also, was just wondering if anyone else ran into this problem

does the bushing flange thickness look right in that photo? I have a swayloc but the outer surface of the bushing is even with the outer surface of the bolt head. Much thicker than what's shown.

I know, not the same sway bar, but...