Anyone install a skid plate on their rear Dana 44 differential?

Bigfoot-NM

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anyone install a skid plate on their rear Dana 44 differential? Not just a cover, but a skid plate.

If you could provide information on the skid plate and pics. Thanks

Not sure why you'd want to. The Dana 44 diff is pretty rugged, maybe get an aftermarket cover to beef it up. A skid just reduces your clearance.
It's not so much for the Dana 44 pumpkin as it is for the u-joint area. They extend far enough out to protect the driveshaft u-joint which I wouldn't mind myself. Only the cost of Nth Degree's slider/skidplate stopped me from installing one.

Capture.JPG

I have the below Rancho skid on my Dana 44:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/ran...MIuaLxlPTl6QIVA4TICh0XmQrqEAQYASABEgJK8fD_BwE
Even though it does reduce some ground clearance, I like the piece of mind. I've had to previously cut out the bottom bolt on my rock crusher diff cover twice. There will not e a third time. It's pretty rugged as I've smashed it up a bunch.

Something like that is exactly what I was looking for. I just had to do the same to my bottom bolt to remove my rear diff cover and the bottom part of the diff cover was pretty messed up.

Reactions: mrjp and Sj's TJ
Any update on this? I was looking for similar protection. From what I can find, only the Rancho RS6252 is available for TJs. I'm not sure if the Nth Degree is still in production. Any other options? My OEM Dana 44 cover is already pretty close to the rear track bar, and I want more protection than just a cover for the rear.

I don’t believe the Nth is made anymore. Funny enough I actually had the Nth on the axle when I bought it, but it was pretty rusty. It’s a great design if you can find out. I’ve had really good luck with the Rancho even though it doesn’t protect the yoke like the Nth. It offers enough that the yoke has been kept clean while the skid is bent to shit at this point.

Reactions: Irun
Any update on this? I was looking for similar protection. From what I can find, only the Rancho RS6252 is available for TJs. I'm not sure if the Nth Degree is still in production. Any other options? My OEM Dana 44 cover is already pretty close to the rear track bar, and I want more protection than just a cover for the rear.

For now I opted for the Rancho model. I'm not too keen on the additional loss of clearance, but my differential and cover are protected. I'm having a hard time understanding how there isn't a better model out there that sits flush against the bottom of the differential housing.

I don’t believe the Nth is made anymore. Funny enough I actually had the Nth on the axle when I bought it, but it was pretty rusty. It’s a great design if you can find out. I’ve had really good luck with the Rancho even though it doesn’t protect the yoke like the Nth. It offers enough that the yoke has been kept clean while the skid is bent to shit at this point.
So you have the Rancho version? I am just surprised there isn't more options like there is for the JK & JL. Is the TJ 44 stronger? I have seen some stock covers peel, so I need to upgrade with something. The slide just seems like the best option but a lot $$ for what it is.

For now I opted for the Rancho model. I'm not too keen on the additional loss of clearance, but my differential and cover are protected. I'm having a hard time understanding how there isn't a better model out there that sits flush against the bottom of the differential housing.
they have better versions for the JK, I would like to know if anyone tried to fit one on their TJ

So you have the Rancho version? I am just surprised there isn't more options like there is for the JK & JL. Is the TJ 44 stronger? I have seen some stock covers peel, so I need to upgrade with something. The slide just seems like the best option but a lot $$ for what it is.
Yes I have the Rancho version. It is a lot of $$ for what it is, but it works great and takes a beating. It’s the only one I have found for the TJ 44. I’m not sure if the JK 44 versions would work or not.

Reactions: Axeman
It's not so much for the Dana 44 pumpkin as it is for the u-joint area. They extend far enough out to protect the driveshaft u-joint which I wouldn't mind myself. Only the cost of Nth Degree's slider/skidplate stopped me from installing one.

View attachment 167058

Protecting the yoke is exactly why I picked this one up. I broke a yoke ear the first time and sheared off the head of one of the 8mm strap bolts the second time. Obviously, the yoke had to be replaced the first time, but the second time I just drilled the broken bolt and installed Ford straps.

FWIW, the nominal amount of clearance lost, and cost, is a small price to pay for the protection gained.

GBD9n64.jpg

Protecting the yoke is exactly why I picked this one up. I broke a yoke ear the first time and sheared off the head of one of the 8mm strap bolts the second time. Obviously, the yoke had to be replaced the first time, but the second time I just drilled the broken bolt and installed Ford straps.

FWIW, the nominal amount of clearance lost, and cost, is a small price to pay for the protection gained.

View attachment 185421
Who makes this one?