Anyone installed SafeTCap to repair frame rust?

Howdy, and welcome to the Forum!!! I had to have the center sections of my frame repaired last year, I have a 2001 and the bottoms of the frame rails where the skid plate mounts were completely rotted out. I purchased the Safety-Cap repair sections and had a friend of mine do the install. I'm really happy with the results. Just a heads-up, there was no indication whatsoever on the outside of the frame that the frame was corroded. I even thoroughly (well...as thoroughly as you can...) cleaned out the inside of my frame rails and ran a fiber-optic camera inside the frame to try and inspect it. I would advise that before you order your repair sections, remove the skid plate and knock around on the frame with a hammer and see if there are any other bad spots. It would suck to have it fixed and then find another rot spot. By the way, I too live in Salt Insanity Indiana, sure wish they'd switch to spreading sand. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: divit250r
thanks for the info.good advise will check t/case skid area. maybe even try and take bolts loose, as im am going to add 2 1/4" bb lift soon after frame repairs. it will be a little while as its to cold to heat the garage right now. $$$ again thanks for comments , and glad to be here

There's a number of people on here who have done this. Hopefully more will chime in. To do it right you should expect to spend money (or a lot of your own time). You really, really, really want to make sure that all the rust is gone in the area you're welding the safeTcap over. If done properly though, it should hold up well.

I hear ya! Good call on repairing the rust as well. You don't want to be one of those guys who has the frame break on you while you're driving down the road. I've heard of it happening before (and seen the aftermath as well)!

ok, not uch responce on subject. i have watched a few youtube vids. but would like to here from some who have done this repair. can this be done on jack stands or is really a lift job ? would lie to do this my self. if you have done this repair what parts did you replace and how long did it take? thanks

I think Dorman will be just as good as the SafeTCap brand. All they really are is pieces of metal. What's going to matter is the prep work involved.

Hey Folks, I have the same issue, I am going to need to do some repair on the frame to hold the skid plate. Looking for suggestions.....
$200.00 - feedback of quality seems to be good.

Not all of my nutserts/frame nuts are rusted, but they have started so I plan to cut that area, then install the new rails.

Any suggestions on rust prevention? I was just going to clean and spray with Rustoleum. Jeep is 2001 and in really good shape with only 120K miles, never off roaded in....I have done some easy trails though.

Thanks for your help!

I just sent my 99 to Auto Rust Technicians in RI, the guys that invented and manufacture the frame rail replacements. Have both sides done. Will post pics when I receive it back (approx 2 weeks)

Reactions: KCsTJ and RussTJ
I just sent my 99 to Auto Rust Technicians in RI, the guys that invented and manufacture the frame rail replacements. Have both sides done. Will post pics when I receive it back (approx 2 weeks)

I look forward to seeing the finished results!

Hey Folks, I did not have bad rust on my jeep but I just cut out the bottom portion of the frame rail and installed the safety caps...bought from ebay....seems like a good product.

ok, not uch responce on subject. i have watched a few youtube vids. but would like to here from some who have done this repair. can this be done on jack stands or is really a lift job ? would lie to do this my self. if you have done this repair what parts did you replace and how long did it take? thanks
i used some from pocano metal fab( irc) for the back in front of rear wheels ( transfer case grenade in back drive shaft took out control arm mounts they were 10 gauge steel they said fine worked great had a friend weld them in

Reactions: Jackman
i used some from pocano metal fab( irc) for the back in front of rear wheels ( transfer case grenade in back drive shaft took out control arm mounts they were 10 gauge steel they said fine worked great had a friend weld them in
I bought them on eBay for a hundred and eighty bucks total for both

I made a similar lower set for my 2000 tj this last winter.I have a welding /machine shop so I just fabbed up my own. I cut the bottom 1" off the lower channels like the u tube ones show for the safety caps.It went well.I put a wire wheel extension on my drill and cleaned out the frame and ended up with almost a 5 gallon bucket of rust by the time all was done. I then sprayed it with eastwood rust encapsolator. After I welded the frame up I used the eastwood internal frame coating.After that I have sprayed the inside with fluid film. I kept one of the eastwood internal spray nozzles ,cut off the brass end and use the sprayer wand on my fluid film cans.It allows me to get better access for at least 18" further into the frame.I put 3/4" holes at each end to get access and drainage.Also 1/2" holes between the skid plate holes 2 in total for drainage.I spaced the skid plate with 1/4" spacers so the frame only touches in the bolt areas.Best of luck.

I am in the process of determining my frame condition on my 2000 TJ. about 8 years ago I had some of the T-case skid plate nut-serts rust out and then I decided to clean out the frame and coat it with Eastwood internal frame coat.
Fast forward to today, starting a heavy maintenance and upgrades to the TJ. I so far have noticed more rusting in the driver side rear frame section, so I will be replacing that with a Safe-T-cap. I need to inspect further but suspect that the other side is not good as well. I am planning to pull the T-case skid and inspect the frame there as well. If that is too rusty too, then the center is going to get repaired. I also have the torque box on the driver side that needs to be repaired.
Gotta love the Rust belt!

Howdy, and welcome to the Forum!!! I had to have the center sections of my frame repaired last year, I have a 2001 and the bottoms of the frame rails where the skid plate mounts were completely rotted out. I purchased the Safety-Cap repair sections and had a friend of mine do the install. I'm really happy with the results. Just a heads-up, there was no indication whatsoever on the outside of the frame that the frame was corroded. I even thoroughly (well...as thoroughly as you can...) cleaned out the inside of my frame rails and ran a fiber-optic camera inside the frame to try and inspect it. I would advise that before you order your repair sections, remove the skid plate and knock around on the frame with a hammer and see if there are any other bad spots. It would suck to have it fixed and then find another rot spot. By the way, I too live in Salt Insanity Indiana, sure wish they'd switch to spreading sand. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.
Are you still driving your Jeep?

Yes, I drive her all the time. The SafeTCap fix worked out very well. My latest project is trying to get the engine/ignition noise from interfering with the CB radio.