Anyone know what this stuff is?

tyguy26

looks like something exploded and it was coming out the side of my hood as well

062B07ED-08AB-4914-AF2F-1A8EC14357A2.jpeg

X2. Dried coolant. Check the reservoir, radiator, hoses, and waterpump. I had a leak years ago in the top of my radiator that would hit the fan and splatter everywhere. Sure made a mess.

Reactions: L J
With that much dried coolant splattered around; as others have said... it appears to have come from the over flow bottle.
I believe you may have had a boiling over going on which over flowed the bottle.
There appears to be a problem with you cooling system that is developing and it's time to do an inspection before it gets worse.

Reactions: L J and WSS
The stuff is a warning that more problems are looming. Check your whole cooling system. Could be as simple as a rad cap or all the way to a water pump. Your Jeep is speaking to you, it needs help.

Reactions: Jim King
Same issue here, but seems like it occurs infrequently. Looks to be coming from the overflow reservoir. But the temp sits right at 210 all the time. I will drive it more and see if I can catch it as it occurs. Don't seem to be losing much fluid at all. Radiator full. Overflow just above the fill to line. Maybe I overfilled the overflow. I do have residue right above the overflow tank. Hmm.

Same issue here, but seems like it occurs infrequently. Looks to be coming from the overflow reservoir. But the temp sits right at 210 all the time. I will drive it more and see if I can catch it as it occurs. Don't seem to be losing much fluid at all. Radiator full. Overflow just above the fill to line. Maybe I overfilled the overflow. I do have residue right above the overflow tank. Hmm.
The overflow should not be above full it's an expansion tank not a wiper washer bottle.:)

Reactions: CharlesHS
Mine does this too and I switched radiator caps like 3 or 4 different times (everything else cooling system wise had been replaced)
and it continues to do it, my radiator is completely full where I left it last time I checked a few months ago.

but, I did find this quote from mrblaine from 10 years ago while searching for an answer:

"Nope, it happens to most rigs with the correct coolant level in the reservoir and who go offroad. Similar to above, for those of us it bothers, just take a hose and put it on the vent. I just ran mine down beside the frame right behind the radiator."

Reactions: CAJACK and Jim King
My 2005 did that this week and it was a bad radiator cap. My Jeep mechanic has been factory trained since 1980 and he put on a MotoRad radiator cap for me. He drives a 2003 Rubicon and recommended Toyota Red coolant as the best. I hope that helps.

BTW, he mentioned the new jeeps on the road today are pretty bad. Lifters going bad, etc. One person had already gone through four radiators (plastic). Our TJs truly were the last real jeeps. He told me when Mercedes Benz got involved with Jeep in 2006 there were some fierce arguments between Jeep and MB engineers. Now, it is worse with Fiat.