Apparently FB is suffering some massive outage right now

The two are joined at the hip, which doesn't make sense to me - but I have no use for either one.

Never even mind all the other problems of which are legion and everyone knows what they are.

It all stems from how they've reprogrammed human beings to seek out instant gratification (i.e. likes, comments, etc.) and somehow convinced people that the rest of the world needs to know at every dying moment what you're up to, even if it's just taking a shit.

This was all made possible with the combination of the smartphone and social media.

Yep, and the fact that they are constantly changing algorithms doesn't make it easier for you either I'm sure.
Yeah, I don't even bother with trying anymore. I just post up what I have and go from there. I don't have time to post 20 things a day, which it what you have to do.

Reactions: Chris
Not to go a different direction in this thread, but I have a family member who is a contractor with the NSA, has been for some years now. He doesn't allow any of their information to be stored online, nothing in the cloud or any place. They have their own private server in the house that everything is stored on. He wont share his reasoning for doing this even to us as family, but its pretty obvious when you know what his job is.

I can certainly understand the venom directed toward Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook, also the barely disguised glee that its servers are down, but here is another perspective on the outage:

In many parts of the world, including but not limited to countries where the majority do not have or cannot afford landline telephone service, WhatsApp is the primary means of telephone communication and is frequently used to conduct business. WhatsApp is a Facebook company and is down along with Facebook and Instagram. Many small businesses in these countries, including the country I am writing from, are crippled today and are losing money they cannot afford to lose. Many families are unable to keep in contact with each other. It is a serious problem for them, none of whom are rich pukes like Mark Zuckerberg who can afford to lose a billion or two.

• Sad
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
All true - but I never saw the point of "social media" in the first place. I saw fad sites come and go: Geocities, Tribe, MySpace, then facebook. All of them were a flash in the pan except the latter. I see no legitimacy in any of them whatsoever, I never have. Why would I want to use a 3rd party site to "stay in touch" with friends and family? I'm not into real time digital comms - but if I were, I'd text, not use AIM, or any of its more recent replacements. I just don't see the point. All I ever saw on such sites was teenaged angst and DRAMA - facebook was originally created for teenagers, and that kind of behavior is exactly what I see (or I should say, keep hearing about from multiple sources.). Then - for reasons I don't really understand - the whole thing got far worse after the smartphone became a thing. The two are joined at the hip, which doesn't make sense to me - but I have no use for either one.

Never even mind all the other problems of which are legion and everyone knows what they are.

Facebook came out when I was a sophomore or junior in college. As a 20 year old boy I had little resistance to joining after I asked for a girls number and her response was "facebook me". At the time, each user had a "wall" and you could post stuff on your own, or on someone else's, but there was no news feed so it wasn't the massive time-suck that it is now and there wasn't a constant barrage of news or rhetoric in your face every time you logged on. I didn't hate it then, because it still functioned to assist, or facilitate, a real, in person social life.

I don't remember whether the news feed came first, or opening it up to people without a college-issued email address, but the downhill turn was quick. Now instead of enhancing the in-person social life, it attempts to replace it, as well as all the political polarization that's already been discussed.

I can certainly understand the venom directed toward Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook, also the barely disguised glee that its servers are down, but here is another perspective on the outage:

In many parts of the world, including but not limited to countries where the majority do not have or cannot afford landline telephone service, WhatsApp is the primary means of telephone communication and is frequently used to conduct business. WhatsApp is a Facebook company and is down along with Facebook and Instagram. Many small businesses in these countries, including the country I am writing from, are crippled today and are losing money they cannot afford to lose. Many families are unable to keep in contact with each other. It is a serious problem for them, none of whom are rich pukes like Mark Zuckerberg who can afford to lose a billion or two.
Running into that issue right now in Mexico. It's VERY popular and most businesses are on it. I hate Facebook and don't trust WhatsApp as far as I can throw my Jeep, but I do feel bad for those businesses. That said, I think they are stupid for relying so heavily on it.

Yeah I got rid of FB 8 years ago and don't miss it. I turned my Instagram into me leather work hobby / business page and that's all I use it for now. The algorithm really screws with makers in a bad way. Previously people saw what you posted in chronological order of their follows which is how it should be. Now it's a computer stuffing shit on my feed. Makes it hard to try and sell some of my leatherwork items.
Going on 9 for me now. FB going down, could be a good hack, or just coincidence or both

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Going on 9 for me now. Could be a good hack, or just coincidence or both
I got rid of mine due to a job I had at the time. They pretty much stated that if you had them listed as your employer on your page, they owned your account and if they didn't like what you posted, you could be fired. That made for a simple decision to get rid of it, because it was a good job at the time.

Reactions: Chris and Ephry73
Not to go a different direction in this thread, but I have a family member who is a contractor with the NSA, has been for some years now. He doesn't allow any of their information to be stored online, nothing in the cloud or any place. They have their own private server in the house that everything is stored on. He wont share his reasoning for doing this even to us as family, but its pretty obvious when you know what his job is.

I did just buy a 2TB external hard drive. I'm so freaked out about a data loss though. I wish desktop RAID setups weren't so damn expensive.

Running into that issue right now in Mexico. It's VERY popular and most businesses are on it. I hate Facebook and don't trust WhatsApp as far as I can throw my Jeep, but I do feel bad for those businesses. That said, I think they are stupid for relying so heavily on it.

With all due respect, but calling Mexicans stupid for relying upon WhatsApp is what is stupid. If not stupid, then at least ignorant.

Many Mexicans can't afford Telmex, Telcel, Movistar, etc. and WiFi service as well, and must choose one or the other. Many don't even have access to landline telephone service. Wifi gives them Internet and phone service via WhatsApp. Phone service gives phone service only, no Internet. If you are in Mexico as you say, you should also know that telephone service can be unreliable.

So tell us again how being in an economic situation in a poor country by U.S. standards where reliance on WhatsApp via WiFi is a practical necessity for many people and many small businesses is "stupid."

First Sunset in SMA.png

Last edited:
With all due respect, but calling Mexicans stupid for relying upon WhatsApp is stupid itself. If not stupid, then at least ignorant.

Many Mexicans can't afford Telmex, Telcel, Movistar, etc. and WiFi service as well, and must chose one or the other. Many don't even have access to landline telephone service. Wifi gives them Internet and phone service via WhatsApp. Phone service even when available gives phone service only, no Internet. If you are in Mexico as you say, you should also know that telephone service can be unreliable.

So tell us again how being in an economic situation in a poor country by U.S. standards where reliance on WhatsApp via WiFi is a practical necessity is "stupid."

You got off to a great start by twisting my words.

I live in a neighborhood in Mexico that's basically a bedroom community to Puerto Vallarta, where I am the only gringo. I am far from ignorant on the situation here.

• Haha
Reactions: L J and Mr. Bills
Why not get either an external case or a NAS? I really like my QNAP NAS.

honestly I'm so behind on tech these days I don't even know what my options are. I'd like to have about 2TB of storage and never have to worry about a disk failure. I'm still salty about that 10 page technical report I had to rewrite because of a flash drive failure in 2005.

I got excited about buying a 2TB external drive for $60, and now that's my reference point for saying an 8TB RAID at $325 or a $269 dual drive 2TB (usable) NAS is "so expensive". It's really not in the grand scheme of things, but I should have done some more research before I bought the basic USB external HDD.

We'll it was stupid for Facebook to totally rely on certain technology too.

It's an app. Don't people have another app they can fall back on. If not, stupid might fit the bill. I have several methods I can use to communicate with people at work or home.

Apparently, Facebook employees are having difficulty getting in to some areas because their keycards don't work. Maybe the internet of things is a poor life skills model.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Chris
I think most of us have alternate means of communication, but most of us reside in one of the richest countries on earth. Some don't have those options and they are having a hard time today.

The greatest inconvenience for me is that I have a hot date tomorrow night with a woman who typically uses WhatsApp for phone while in country. Good thing she uses ordinary email as well. :)