Colorado April Phools canceled

Just ordered a Black magic big brake kit and hydro assist ram mount kit. If it arrives in time to get everything installed I’ll be there re painted or not. As I’m hoping to get this Jeep prepped and painted over the next few weeks of the social distancing period. Although the wife keeps coming up with her own plans for me

Reactions: rasband
I think this whole pandemic is going to really put a wrench in summer plans

At some point I’m going to just go from my isolation at home to isolation in the woods... though the wheeling will be tamed if that happens too long.

Reactions: jjvw
Minor update:

Chaffee county is shut down to visitors. Word is it is supposed to be lifted at the same time of the stay at home mandate (4/26). It is obviously not a definite, but we'll try and keep the thread up-to-date.

Reactions: rasband and jjvw
Denver, Boulder, JeffCo and others extended the mandate to May 8th. If Chaffee County hasn't yet, I am sure they wont be far behind. As far as I have heard it is still closed to "outsiders"

• Sad
As of yesterday, Chaffee County is still closed to outsiders until further notice. Chances are not good for next weekend.
Screenshot_20200424-170348_Chrome~2.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: rasband and tworley
Tentatively postponed to May 2nd, 2020.

You are all free to do as you wish (if you want to meet still on 4/4/20), but given the recent statewide stay-at-home mandate this run is being rescheduled during a more appropriate and safe time. I encourage you to be smart about the situation.

Just to make this a little easier I thought it would be better to post a separate thread for this. We can keep track of who is coming and who is running the milder trail vs Chinaman.

APRIL PHOOLS 5/2/2020

@Colo-TJ made the official announcement on the other forum (Chad, hope you don't mind me spreading the word here).

As usual meet up will be at the Gunsmoke Truck Stop 9 AM and leave by 10 AM.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gu...4d-106.1068388

For those coming from Denver:
Team Denver, several of us will meet at the Philips 66 in Morrison. Departure time is 6:45am to make it to BV by 9am.

Phillips 66
16283 Morrison Rd, Morrison, CO 80465

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TB8NEyTcCwAUka7W8

The harder run is Chinamans Gulch. Requirements are as follows (just like in October), TJ, YJ, CJ or other short wheelbase will need a minimum of a 33" tire and ZJ, XJ, JK, JL or other longer rigs need 35" tire minimum. At least 1 locker is recommended. Body armor, rock sliders, and any under body protection (raised skids really help!) is also recommended. Sway bar disconnects are also required or something similar. This trail is getting harder so what you might see in previous post or other sites may not be up to date.

Rookies are welcome but you MUST listen to your spotters as they will know the trail the best. If there is something you want to try, we'll spot you thru it. Anyone spotting won't put you in a situation where you are not comfortable. We have a good group of folks, so prepare yourself for some light ribbing as well.

There is a group that will run the milder trails in the 4 mile area and Bald Mountain (?), I am not sure what these trails include but Joe will be the one to leads it (he is in a black JK). Any rig can do these, even stock. Killer views and some water crossings if I am not mistaken.

These are all day trips, 6+ hours. Bring food, water, plenty of clothes for any type of weather. Bring your tool kits, first aid kits, good shoes. Be prepared for anything. Make sure your rig is up to par--an issue on the trail can make the long day longer. We understand that some things are out of our control and will happen (last year was a fan thru a radiator, springs unseating, ujoints breaking, a flop, etc..) and we'll be there to help you, but please make sure everything is ready on your rig (control arm mounts, shafts, ujoints, etc..) and bring tools!
Excited for an excellent 2020 year!!

I presume an LJ considered a "long wheelbase" ?

Belly clearance is a factor as well. An LJ on 33s with a raised skid and lockers will do fine. @rasband can tell you more about his trip through last fall.

Yeah, it felt a little over sold on WF, but that's not to say it wasn't an involved trial with its share of fun.

@Lilnuts I documented a few thoughts right after:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/overlanding-2006-rubicon-unlimited-lj.14166/page-11#post-439988
Back then I was on 33" with a ~2" OME lift and a tummy tuck. The big takeaways I have:

* Lockers helped and should be encouraged, but weren't required (at least observing a 2door JK - they had issue with the electronic throttle though)
* The higher you can get the belly the better with our longer wheelbase. I forget how low my belly hung before the savvy skid, but a 4" lift vs my 2"+TT may be fairly close.
* Check your bump stops - you'll probably flex close to or all of what you have available
* A front reinforced diff may be nice on the tail end of the trail for the V-notch
* You probably want rockers
* The OEM gas tank skid earned its stripes, since then I pulled it up with the savvy GTS and expect my bumper to take more of it.

Reactions: jjvw
What’s the current thoughts on the run? Last I saw, Chaffe county was discouraging outsiders but that was a few weeks ago.

What’s the current thoughts on the run? Last I saw, Chaffe county was discouraging outsiders but that was a few weeks ago.

Chaffee might open June 1. I suggested June 6 for April Phools. We'll see.

Since I'm traveling a distance I want options open for resupplying along the way (camping equipment, groceries, etc.). I'm down as long as the bans are lifted and stores are opening up along the entire route. What I don't want is to break down half way and place a strain on an already stressed town.

Chaffee might open June 1. I suggested June 6 for April Phools. We'll see.

This tentatively works for me.

Reactions: jjvw and rasband
I'm interested; depending on a finalized date. Working through some projects right now.

When things get closer/definitive, we should look at the map and see if there's a point where we can meet and caravan the rest of the way. Maybe Iowa?

Reactions: LONGJP2
I ran chinamans yesterday along with a bunch of other people. Went to Johnson’s corner for fuel and snack as always. Then drove home no sign of law enforcement or anything else. Here is the thing. These counties putting in “travel bans” are not constitutional. Part of the greatness of this country is we can travel freely and cannot be discriminated against or treated differently than someone who lives there. I’ll happily be the one to get arrested at this point even if the could enforce it. Because I’ll come out a few hundred thousand richer after I go to court. Look this crap will continue as long as we the people allow it. I’m not saying that this sickness isn’t real or that it isn’t bad. I personally know someone who was hospitalized with it. He was bad and on O2 his wife just got a slight fever. But I’m not hurting a soul being out in the forest miles from others. I’d say that is proper social distancing honestly.

Reactions: Daryl
I ran chinamans yesterday along with a bunch of other people. Went to Johnson’s corner for fuel and snack as always. Then drove home no sign of law enforcement or anything else. Here is the thing. These counties putting in “travel bans” are not constitutional. Part of the greatness of this country is we can travel freely and cannot be discriminated against or treated differently than someone who lives there. I’ll happily be the one to get arrested at this point even if the could enforce it. Because I’ll come out a few hundred thousand richer after I go to court. Look this crap will continue as long as we the people allow it. I’m not saying that this sickness isn’t real or that it isn’t bad. I personally know someone who was hospitalized with it. He was bad and on O2 his wife just got a slight fever. But I’m not hurting a soul being out in the forest miles from others. I’d say that is proper social distancing honestly.

Regardless of how we feel if it should be banned or not, the logistics of the trip are overly complicated and not as much fun for those of us traveling far distances. Could it be done? Totally. But this is supposed to be a fun trip and rules and regulations change across states and counties. Grabbing a snack at a gas station isn't simple, finding a place to sleep isn't simple, finding a rest stop to use the bathroom isn't simple, getting help on the side of the road isn't simple. I need to do roughly 6 gas stops just to get out there — a stop every 2-1/2 hours so it'd be nice for those to be fast and simple and not worry if a station is randomly closed due to COVID. And it'd be nice to not drive through any areas that if I do get in a car accident the hospitals are overloaded and deem my broken leg non-essential. ;) Anyway, just how things are looking from my perspective...