ARB locker or Eaton E-locker?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So which locker ( ARB OR E-LOCKER ) would be the least amount of service or problematic issues ? And where did I see an ARB locker for sale with a free compressor?

For me, I would choose the Eaton E-Locker. Although ARBs are very strong, it seems like every time we go out on the trail we see people battling problems associated with an air leak in the system and the locker not working right. We have personally been running the E-Lockers in our 2001 TJ with D44s front and rear since 2008. We have wheeled the Jeep hard with 35 inch tires and 85,000 total miles since install. We have never had a single problem. They have always worked and nothing has ever broken. I have never personally run ARBs, but we wheel a lot with a lot of people. ARBs have a solid reputation, and I imagine with a quality installation and care taken in the routing of air lines and other components they would give you good service. The only axle I would not run the E-Locker in is the ford 8.8. That application uses an older and inferior design. For Dana 30, Dana 44, Dana 60 the E-Locker is great.

I have neither. Saying that up front. I have a Rubicon with the stock lockers that are working just fine. That said, when the time comes to replace them between those two choices I'd go with the E locker hands down. Trying to fix a simple electrical problem is a lot easier than having to fix an electrical and/or air problem.
Both are strong and both are reliable units. There is no wrong answer, just a preference.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Those suffering from air leak problems with ARB lockers simply had a bad installer. I don't run ARB lockers so I don't have a dog in this fight but when installed by a competent experienced ARB installer their reliability is fine. My Rubicon air lockers don't leak air either.

I'll vote ARB. I dont even know they are there until I flip the switch.

The E locker requires a full turn of the wheel before it locks/unlocks. In an off road/off camber situation that 1' or so could be gamechanger.

I have ARBs. For 1 reason is that I like an on-board air compressor anyway. When I got my truck I think ARB was the only game for a true selectable locker. I then got the lockers for the front and rear of my TJ, but haven't installed them yet, as I'm going to rebuild front and rear spare axles that have the gear ratio I want and I found some issues on the rear axle I'm working on.

However, I am not a competent installer and I did everything wrong on my truck and I'm pretty sure I've got a leak.

See below and get schooled on doing everything wrong when installing a locker.

However the locker does work, just occasionally the air compressor burps. I haven't spent any time looking for the air leak, but considering my screw ups, there's no doubt a possibility it's actually leaking inside the diff housing.

Having run both in multiple rigs and having the Eaton in my rear axle and arb in my front axle right now. I like both. No issues either way. The Eaton does not need a full rotation but like a quarter rotation to lock and unlock.

Reactions: L0jik and DrDmoney
Good info, where is everybody at on ox lockers? Sorry for the thread hijack!
I had a cable activated ox locker in my old rear Dana 44 years ago. It worked fine. It was a real pain routing the cable and little shifter it always worked just fine. After having the ARB and Raton elocker both since then I would not go back to an ox cable activated one ever.

Reactions: Feralkid
I had a cable activated ox locker in my old rear Dana 44 years ago. It worked fine. It was a real pain routing the cable and little shifter it always worked just fine. After having the ARB and Raton elocker both since then I would not go back to an ox cable activated one ever.
Dont ox lockers have a manual fail safe? It's a bolt that's screwed in the cable bung hole.