Are all hood louvers equal?

If you guys don't like the little Poison Spyder logo cutout, I'm guessing the Fishbone Offroad louver isn't on your Christmas list either.

Fishbone Offroad.jpg
Fishbone.jpg

Last edited:
The heat cycles on the hood reek havoc on the paint. My Jeep was garaged for 15 years straight. 190k miles of heat cycles and one summer sitting outside in a storage lot caused this. Came back after the summer and the paint was gone.

Haven't fixed it, probably never will. Don't care.

This is right after a wash. The difference in color is due to water. The only problem is the missing paint.

IMG_0172.jpg

Be careful with powder coat on aluminum. If water gets under it, its all over except the crying. It tends to thin out at the sharp edges, and let water in eventually. If it were me (and its not), I'd probably apply a good coat of paint over the powder coat - and seal all edges on installation with your favorite sealant.

Or look for a steel one, there's that whole dis-similar metals thing going on too.

Or take the hood off, and take it down to the local hot rod shop, and have louvers cut into it. I'm actually toying with that idea, I'd put them on the sides so the Florida rain won't get in, but the heat can get out.
You cannot stamp louvers in the curved portion of the hood. That's why I am looking for a junk FJ40 hood. I will cut the curved louvers out and weld them into the TJ hood.

Reactions: Zorba
You cannot stamp louvers in the curved portion of the hood. That's why I am looking for a junk FJ40 hood. I will cut the curved louvers out and weld them into the TJ hood.
There goes that idea...
I've been trying to find some Buick like portholes with zero success. Round, oval, or even square-ish.

Reactions: Andrew Mac
I ordered the GenRight louver. It comes in black, and it gets the job done.

I'm to the point where I'd probably just rather have a vehicle that was rattle can painted. At least it would be easy and effortless to touch-up :ROFLMAO:

Besides, the only factory paint left on my TJ is the hood, windshield frame, and front half of the tub. The rest is all black painted armor.

Reactions: Apparition
HyLine OffRoad one doesn’t have any logos. Is made in the USA and comes with a really nice metal template to drill and cut your hood with. The bolts are pressed in to all you need to do is snug up the self locking nuts. I really like the quality of it.

5D3DD17C-BA76-4CDF-AC88-C0B69D5AA556.png

oh FFS.

When it comes to laser cutting logos

View attachment 203896
Yep. All that crap does is weaken the metal, and introduce another rust vector. I bought a weird little metal tray from Hooke Road that's nice enough and kind of handy:
00.jpg

But all the cut in sword outlines severely weakened the metal, to the point of my feeling I needed to re-enforce it on one side. Just because you have a water jet or a plasma cutter doesn't mean you should cut gratuitous designs into your product...

Yep. All that crap does is weaken the metal, and introduce another rust vector. I bought a weird little metal tray from Hooke Road that's nice enough and kind of handy:
View attachment 203901
But all the cut in sword outlines severely weakened the metal, to the point of my feeling I needed to re-enforce it on one side. Just because you have a water jet or a plasma cutter doesn't mean you should cut gratuitous designs into your product...
Nice idea. I don't see them on their website, though.

Nice idea. I don't see them on their website, though.
I bought it on eBay - and I think its been discontinued for the TJ from a comment from Hooke Road. I was only able to get one for the passenger side which makes no sense as there is still a version available for the JK that is sold in pairs. Might be able to adapt the JK version or ask them about the TJ edition.

Reactions: ejay
I wonder if there are any advantages/disadvantages to forward vs rear facing :unsure:
I doubt it makes much difference On this one it’s such a small area. It does make a difference cooling off the engine compartment and I think my intake air temperature is a little cooler.

So I know this has been broached before in another thread, but we never got a straight answer, have any of you that park your Jeeps outside had problems with the extra water that gets into the engine bay?

Reactions: Zorba