Are chromoly axles enough?

Looks like they have figured out something while you were typing your reply, but to weld the spiders together they would have had to weld them to the carrier also, so I was already assuming it was going to have to be changed to. Regardless when he puts his locker in that would replace the carrier anyway, just the bummer waiting for the money to do so, but it sounds like the PO is going to help him out with a LS carrier.
Yep, he’s just going to help me switch out the current carrier and tact welded spider gears for a limited slip carrier with spider gears. Looks good!

Reactions: ac_ and KCsTJ
I also love the rear disc brakes feature!
Ive always wanted a vehicle with disc brakes all round !
This is going to be a cool install. You should do a Dana 44 axle bolt on How To switcheroo :)
Haha! I’m going to have to learn a lot to get this done! Thankfully it will be in the bench and I can take time to think it through.

Reactions: KCsTJ
@JMT, just thinking here, if that Dana 44 had welded spider gears, it may have been wheeled hard.
Since he's helping with the carrier you may as well install new axle seals, "while you're in there".
They are cheap and would not take long and i bet he has the tools. I would take 2 axle seals with me and say let's install these while we b in there :)

Reactions: JMT
Smart idea. I watched a video on how to do that the other day. Looked a little taxing without the right tools to press them in. Smart. I’ll look into that

Update, so the guy is going to sell me the axle with the carrier that has the tact welded spider gears AND he’s going to give me the LSD carrier. He says the inner seals are good, didn’t leak, came off a Sport, 3.73 gears for those catching up. It’s mine on Friday!

Tact is what I learned in high school in the early 60's when trying to talk a girl's dad into letting us go to the drive in theater in my car. "It's a great movie" and other forms of equity absurd bullshit they always saw through. :D

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
Yah, tact is what is used when we want our wives to go along with our jeep purchases
;-)
Yeah, I’m still trying to figure that one out. She doesn’t know yet. Though we have some separate money every year for spending on what we want, so I can’t see it being a big deal. It’s paving the way for Moab. I see this build really coming together now...Or I will when I get this on

He is correct. This is an old school high school drags trick. Put equal power to both wheels. You may have heard of a Lincoln Locker? Not sure why they call it that.

Lincoln locker was named after the popular Lincoln brand welders at the time. Spiders welded together at the four contact points then welded to the carrier.

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
Lincoln locker was named after the popular Lincoln brand welders at the time. Spiders welded together at the four contact points then welded to the carrier.
That totally makes sense as I have a Lincoln welder myself. I should have put that together. Thanks

Yeah, I’m still trying to figure that one out. She doesn’t know yet. Though we have some separate money every year for spending on what we want, so I can’t see it being a big deal. It’s paving the way for Moab. I see this build really coming together now...Or I will when I get this on
You have enough helpers to make this transformation come together within a couple days.
Converting the brake lines to the new disc calipers may take some time. :)
Have you looked into that yet?

It only takes 30 minutes to cut and double flare the brake line to fit. Auto parts stores usually loan their double flair kit with instructions at little to no cost. It's pretty easy to learn how to double flair on the scrap brake line that was trimmed off.

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
You have enough helpers to make this transformation come together within a couple days.
Have you looked into that yet?
if the Dana 44 has disk brakes on it already and it has the brake lines he should be able to just put his stock line in to the junction block and there should be no fuss and no muss.

When I did my 8.8 in my YJ it came with the disc brakes, and lines so when I put it in I just put my stock line into the junction block on the Ford axle and it worked. I didn't even have to change my master cylinder or anything it was basically plug and play. If you do have to add lines I would just buy the stock ones for the axle and it shouldn't be any engineering nightmare.

You know what I am talking about right? If all of the lines are on the axle your are golden just tie into the junction not the calipers. If they are not buy the stock lines for the Dana 44 and just tie into the y junction at the pumpkin.

if the Dana 44 has disk brakes on it already and it has the brake lines he should be able to just put his stock line in to the junction block and there should be no fuss and no muss.

When I did my 8.8 in my YJ it came with the disc brakes, and lines so when I put it in I just put my stock line into the junction block on the Ford axle and it worked. I didn't even have to change my master cylinder or anything it was basically plug and play. If you do have to add lines I would just buy the stock ones for the axle and it shouldn't be any engineering nightmare.

You know what I am talking about right? If all of the lines are on the axle your are golden just tie into the junction not the calipers. If they are not buy the stock lines for the Dana 44 and just tie into the y junction at the pumpkin.
Yes, thanks for that explanation @ac_ . I forgot about the rear brake line junction. You're right, that's a piece o cake !

Reactions: ac_
He is correct. This is an old school high school drags trick. Put equal power to both wheels. You may have heard of a Lincoln Locker? Not sure why they call it that.

You could leave it there, but as a daily driver you would go through tires like mad.
Unfortunately, you will probably need a new carrier, unless you can find someone parting one out on craigslist, but replacing the carrier is not super simple if you don't know how. Might be a fun way to learn.

You may consider putting your new gears and lockers in it, before putting it in your Jeep. Since this is the case.

Still a sweet deal, and you half planned on this anyway.
I think the reason they call it a "Lincoln locker" is because they used a Lincoln welder to weld them.

Reactions: ac_
@JMT I think you will find this axle switch goes quicker than you think, because it's strictly bolt off, bolt on.
Brake lines no biggie.
Just don't lose track of nuts n bolts like I tend to do :-/ and it will go smooth.
I'm jealous - now I want rear disc brakes for my 97 TJ :) :-/

Reactions: JMT
@JMT I think you will find this axle switch goes quicker than you think, because it's strictly bolt off, bolt on.
Brake lines no biggie.
Just don't lose track of nuts n bolts like I tend to do :-/ and it will go smooth.
I'm jealous - now I want rear disc brakes for my 97 TJ :) :-/
I hope so, bc I look at it and get a little intimidated! Nuts and bolts, gear fluid with limited slip, things I have to remember...