Are chromoly axles enough?

He will also make some money on the factory Dana 35 when and if he sells it which will bring the overall price for the swap down.

You can only consider that if it sales. Here in AZ the Dana 44 is astronomical, but I can pick up a Dana 35 just about any day for 100-350 dollars. I don't usually count on a sell into the price until it actually sells. I have so many TJ parts for sale right now that I have been sitting on for over a year. Do you know anybody that needs a tan back seat in good shape?

When I first bought my Tj, I bought a Curtis stage 3 hitch and then almost immediately bought a Dirtworx rear bumper. Then I tried to sell the hitch for about 8 months before it finally sold. It was only used for a month so there was not rust or blemish. The first guy that asked about it bought it. TJ parts don't seem to be a huge seller here anyway. So I am happy if something sells, but I can hardly even give it away. Especially weird because there is not really a lot of used parts for sale so it isn't like there is any competition. Just no real call for it it seems.

So I only subtract the price of the sell after something sales, but it is hard to judge what it will sell for or when. It may be different though in other places.

Reactions: Fouledplugs and JMT
If you can swing it, it seems like a solid deal. Plus you don't have to upgrade till whenever you want, and still have your 4wd.
I know, I’m really tempted. I need to go count my $$$. Maybe I’ll offer $800.

Reactions: KCsTJ and ac_
I know, I’m really tempted. I need to go count my $$$. Maybe I’ll offer $800.
If you count out eight $100 bills from your wallet in front of him and casually let him see their are no more $100 dollar bills left, odds are pretty good he'll take the offer. Offering $800 over the phone rarely works as well as placing cash in their hand does. Hint you were barely able to scrape up the $800 as he notices your wallet is just has a few smaller bills in it. $800 is what I paid for my first TJ Dana 44 18-19 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: KCsTJ, JMT and ac_
Ok, the Dana 44 gearing is 3.73, just like my Dana 30, so it’s a bolt on affair @$900. That part would be easy, excepting whatever is needed for the disc brake conversion. If I could sell the Dana 35 for $300-400 that would offset some. Then a regear front and rear with e locker in rear only would add $2350, for a grand total of $2850-2950. Tempting, as that’s only $100 more than the quote I have for a S35 and regear.

Do people really pay 300-400 for a used 35??

Ok, it’s official, I’m picking up a Dana 44, 3.73 gears Friday for $800. The spider gears are tact welded and so I can replace the spider gears or he’ll put the carrier in and I’ll be off. I don’t understand all this, so take me to school guys...

Ok, it’s official, I’m picking up a Dana 44, 3.73 gears Friday for $800. The spider gears are tact welded and so I can replace the spider gears or he’ll put the carrier in and I’ll be off. I don’t understand all this, so take me to school guys...
Nice going JMT, you just needed a little nudge from us jeep heads :)
Are you going to wait on the E locker for now and consider it later? Or install it now the axle is easy to work on?

The spider gears sit in the carrier, right?, So I’d just remove them and put a new carrier with spider gears in, right?

How would a tact welded spider gear, I.e. permanently locked rear drive on the road?

Reactions: KCsTJ
Nice going JMT, you just needed a little nudge from us jeep heads :)
Are you going to wait on the E locker for now and consider it later? Or install it now while the axle is easy to work on?
Later, the gears are 3.73, so I’ll wait till I re-gear. Gonna have to save..

Yeah, y’all really know how to spend a guys money! That’s what I call a support group

The spider gears sit in the carrier, right?, So I’d just remove them and put a new carrier with spider gears in, right?

How would a tact welded spider gear, I.e. permanently locked rear drive on the road?
Yes those welded spider gears must go. Welding the spider gears basically gives you permanent locked axle. A rear tire would squeal every turn
..lol on support group ^^^

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and ac_
Yes those welded spider gears must go. Welding the spider gears basically gives you permanent locked axle. The rear tires would squeal every turn
..lol on support group ^^^
He is correct. This is an old school high school drags trick. Put equal power to both wheels. You may have heard of a Lincoln Locker? Not sure why they call it that.

You could leave it there, but as a daily driver you would go through tires like mad.
Unfortunately, you will probably need a new carrier, unless you can find someone parting one out on craigslist, but replacing the carrier is not super simple if you don't know how. Might be a fun way to learn.

You may consider putting your new gears and lockers in it, before putting it in your Jeep. Since this is the case.

Still a sweet deal, and you half planned on this anyway.

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
He is correct. This is an old school high school drags trick. Put equal power to both wheels. You may have heard of a Lincoln Locker? Not sure why they call it that.

You could leave it there, but as a daily driver you would go through tires like mad.
Unfortunately, you will probably need a new case, unless you can find someone parting one out on craigslist, but replacing the carrier is not super simple if you don't know how. Might be a fun way to learn.

You may consider putting your new gears and lockers in it, before putting it in your Jeep. Since this is the case.
The guy said he’d help me change out the carrier. His TJ has 10” of SL and he’s on 40’s.
C98F244F-B542-4A31-A7A3-16051564676B.png

Reactions: ac_
Nice, That is a good deal, free labor and learning.
Ok, I’m understanding better now. He’s got a limited slip carrier with spider gears, so he’s going to switch out the carriers. Ok, this is looking up. I had to go reread our conversation.

So a Dana 44 with limited slip, 3.73 gears and disc brakes for $800! Bingo

Unfortunately, you will probably need a new carrier, unless you can find someone parting one out on craigslist, but replacing the carrier is not super simple if you don't know how. Might be a fun way to learn.

Still a sweet deal, and you half planned on this anyway.
Yes darn good deal. But let's say it is found that oh, d/t welded spider gears now the carrier is bad, for example... @JMT may want to have in place a " backup plan B" which would have to be a new e locker if the present carrier is bad... just sayin :)

Reactions: ac_
Ok, I’m understanding better now. He’s got a limited slip carrier with spider gears, so he’s going to switch out the carriers. Ok, this is looking up. I had to go reread our conversation.

So a Dana 44 with limited slip, 3.73 gears and disc brakes for $800! Bingo
Woot Woot Congrats that is going to bad ass till you make it even more bad ass!

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
Yes darn good deal. But let's say it is found that oh, d/t welded spider gears now the carrier is bad, for example... @JMT may want to have in place a " backup plan B" which would have to be a new e locker if the present carrier is bad... just sayin :)
You’re trying to spend more of my money!

Looks like they have figured out something while you were typing your reply, but to weld the spiders together they would have had to weld them to the carrier also, so I was already assuming it was going to have to be changed to. Regardless when he puts his locker in that would replace the carrier anyway, just the bummer waiting for the money to do so, but it sounds like the PO is going to help him out with a LS carrier.

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ