Are Grade 8 bolts overkill for the front bumper?

B175D7A6-EA0B-4466-A5F6-F911BD2DDA11.jpeg

this is the end cap of about 4 aisles of bolts and nuts at my local hardware store. 2.7 miles from my shop. Way too close.

• Love
Reactions: jesseshoots
I am sure OP can source them in UK but its actually finding a specialized fastener supplier like I did in OZ.
In fact The Boogieman found a link for me to an Australian supplier, Cookies and IP address send you where "they" want you to go when online.
Twice now USA members have given me links to Australian websites that were not showing up on local searches.
I come from a long line of steel erector's/Boilermakers and I know for sure you can get all the imperial sizes in UK but they are just hard to find if you dont know where to look.

I'd skip grade 8 unless called for in the specs. Break one of those brittle bolts and they are impossible to drill out.

If you're worried, tack weld it. It's easier to grind a weld then drill out a grade 8.

Last edited:
I'd skip grade 8 unless called for in the specs. Break one of those brittle bolts and they are impossible to drill out.

If you're worried, tack weld it. It's easier to grind a weld then drill out a grade 8.
Were these going into a threaded piece? I missed that.

a little trick to drill gr8 is to heat them a little. Get the material over 500f and it will anneal. A hss bit will drill it with ease. A cobalt bit will drill gr8 but it takes patience.

Were these going into a threaded piece? I missed that.

a little trick to drill gr8 is to heat them a little. Get the material over 500f and it will anneal. A hss bit will drill it with ease. A cobalt bit will drill gr8 but it takes patience
That’s a great tip, Tommy.

SAE J429 Grade 5 bolts have a minimum yield strength of 120,000 PSI. SAE J429 Grade 8 are rated to 150,000 PSI. So the material of a Grade 8 is roughly 25% stronger in tension.

Of course those numbers are meaningless without more details of the application.

A TJ bumper bolt is 1/2-13 UNC, at whatever length makes sense for the application.

A Grade 5 1/2-13 has a minimum break strength of 17,000 lbs tension, a yield strength of at least 13,000 lbs tension, and a proof strength of at least 12,000 lbs tension. Meanwhile the Grade 8 is a bit over 21,000 lbs, 18,500 lbs, and 17,000 lbs, respectively.

Note that minimum break strength is the tension required to break the bolt. The bolt will begin to deform past the yield strength, but will continue to hold. In most cases, yielding is considered a type of failure, as it changes the structure in a way that often significantly alters loads.

Proof load is a load that any bolt can be tested to with no visible signs of damage or deformation. It is only a single load test, and does not take into account repeated loading.

All of this is nice, but still not very applicable to the TJ bumper. Why? Because when you start winching on a TJ bumper, you get combined tensile and shear stresses. With good bumper design and a low-mounted winch, the tensile stresses can be minimized.

But the shear stresses will always remain. A bolt has roughly 60% as much strength in shear as in tension. Based on information provided by Fastenal, the approximate shear strength of a Grade 5 1/2-13 UNC bolt is 9,000 lbs, and a Grade 8 is 11,300 lbs.

But those are shear strengths to failure, not to yielding. Now the expected yield strengths in shear are somewhere around 6,900 lbs and 9,800 lbs, respectively.

Given the way most TJs are set up, the vast majority of winching force is applied to the top two bolts. If the winch is pulling at 2" above the mounting surface, the moment about the bumper multiplies the top shear stress by a factor of 1.5, given that the reaction force against the bumper overturning is provided by the bottom bolts.

Many TJ manufacturers rate their bumpers to a 12,000 lbs winch. A stalled out 12,000 lbs winch will therefore apply roughly 18,000 lbs of shear across the top four bolts, or 4,500 lbs per bolt. So that alone will not shear a bolt, not Grade 5 nor Grade 8. Technically you still have a 2:1 factor of safety against total failure with Grade 5, and 3:1 with Grade 8. Not great, but your winch line will probably snap first.

But let's say whatever you're pulling isn't moving. So you grab a pulley, and run the cable back to one of your recovery points. An anchor point is generally placed in front of the frame rail, roughly centered. So that 12,000 lbs additional force is now distributed 50% top and bottom. The top two bolts now have an additional 3,000 lbs of shear for a total of 7,500 lbs of shear per bolt, and the bottom bolt has 3,000 lbs of net shear (6,000 lbs from the recovery point attachment negated by 3,000 lbs from the overturning force from the elevated winch).

So now your Grade 5 bolts on top start stretching, and the bumper begins to pull away on that side. They don't quite rip out, but they will probably have to be cut out with a grinder. The Grade 8 bolts are still fine.

Now let's say pulling 24,000 lbs just isn't enough, and the load slips. It transmits a 1.5x shock force to the line. Your grade 5 bolts snap, the bumper peels off the frame, and you get to watch some expensive things happen. The grade 8 bolts yielded and came insanely close to snapping, but didn't.

Now obviously that's a pretty unusual use case. But it kind of gives you an idea of what you could expect. In automotive design, engineers generally choose to use a factor of safety of about 3:1 to failure. Technically, we exceeded that when the single winch line began to pull about 12,000 lbs, even with the Grade 8 bolts.

Keep in mind that bolt failure is not the only way a bumper could fail. The material held in by the bolts could tear out, or the welded nuts could even tear out of the frame. Grade 8 has a modestly higher target torque value, and the additional clamping force will also provide some additional resistance to tear-out of the base material. In addition, the reduced stretch of the Grade 8 will also result in more even stress distributions in the surrounding material, reducing the odds of tear-out a bit more.

Flange bolts are preferred to normal hex bolts or cap screws because they distribute the load better. When paired with an appropriately graded washer of a good size, this provides the maximum resistance to tear-out.

Also note if the bolt does yield, it loses its preload and the odds of tear out of the surrounding material increase vastly.

In addition, a stretching or yielding bolt in shear changes shape, and often ends up being subjected to a combination of shear, bending, and tensile stresses, thus vastly accelerating the process of total failure.

Another factor not discussed is that the bolt preload (the existing tension due to torquing) decreases the shear strength by a significant factor. At the same time, that preload also adds strength in that it increases the friction between the two joined plates.

TL;DR: Buy Grade 8 flange bolts with quality washers when possible. But you probably won't die if you have to go with Grade 5.
The bumper bolts never see shear loads. If they do, the connection has failed.

The bumper bolts never see shear loads. If they do, the connection has failed.
I respectfully disagree. Bearing capacity of the bolted system is absolutely a part of the strength of the system, and should be part of the design except in cases where slip is unacceptable. A bumper to frame connection is not a slip-critical application, and bearing on the bolts is acceptable at the highest forces.

Painted/coated steels generally have a coefficient of friction of anywhere from .10 to .25 against other painted steels.

The clamp load of a properly torqued SAE Grade 8 1/2-13 UNC bolt is 12771 lbs, and 9046 lbs for Grade 5 according to Fastenal, which uses a designation of preload being 75% of proof load.

If we give the painted steels a relatively liberal coefficient of friction at 0.25 (the only way to know would be actual testing of powder coated steel on the bumper paint), each Grade 8 bolt only generates about 3200 lbs of friction-resisting force, and Grade 5 about 2260 lbs.

With a 12,000 lbs winch stalled out (4,500 lbs of shear per top bolt, 3,000 reaction on each lower bolt), both the Grade 5 and the Grade 8 top bolts would allow the joint to slip and place bearing force on the bolts.

Start pulling on either one of the recovery points (no winch load) and as soon as the tension on the recovery point exceeds 6400 lbs at any instant, and the bottom bolted joint switches from friction to bearing force. And that’s for Grade 8. Grade 5 would slip and enter bearing at 4500 lbs on the recovery point.

Meanwhile the bottom fastener itself can resist shear up to 9,800 lbs, or an expected failure at 19,600 lbs of pulling on the recovery point. As the bolt stretches elastically or plastically, the actual tension is reduced and the bolt is almost entirely in shear loading.

In bolted connection design, the shear strength of the bolt is generally not assumed to be reduced regardless of whether the joint is snug tight or fully tensioned. Laboratory tests used in development of structural bolting standards show that the presence or absence of a bolt preload has no significant effect on the ultimate strength of the bolt either in tension or shear.

Friction forces on the head of the bolt to the top plate are generally ignored, as the bolt usually has a small capability to misalign in the hole. Given that TJ frames have welded nuts, this may add a small amount of frictional strength, but this cannot be relied upon to keep the joint in friction versus bearing. I doubt the welded nuts are sufficiently stiff to resist misalignment at high forces.

That said, bumper bolts are indeed intended to be installed as fully tensioned and not snug tight (typical in steel erection), and the friction of the bumper to frame is indeed an intentional part of the design. If the bolts were merely snug-tight, the bumper would be free to slip around due to the clearance gap between the bolt and the hole, and would create unnecessary stresses.

The friction is the primary means of retaining the bumper and recovery points at low to moderate forces, but the bolts themselves also have the capability to resist shear, especially in higher load applications.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. Bearing capacity of the bolted system is absolutely a part of the strength of the system, and should be part of the design except in cases where slip is unacceptable. A bumper to frame connection is not a slip-critical application, and bearing on the bolts is acceptable at the highest forces.

Painted/coated steels generally have a coefficient of friction of anywhere from .10 to .25 against other painted steels.

The clamp load of a properly torqued SAE Grade 8 1/2-13 UNC bolt is 12771 lbs, and 9046 lbs for Grade 5 according to Fastenal, which uses a designation of preload being 75% of proof load.

If we give the painted steels a relatively liberal coefficient of friction at 0.25 (the only way to know would be actual testing of powder coated steel on the bumper paint), each Grade 8 bolt only generates about 3200 lbs of friction-resisting force, and Grade 5 about 2260 lbs.

With a 12,000 lbs winch stalled out (4,500 lbs of shear per top bolt, 3,000 reaction on each lower bolt), both the Grade 5 and the Grade 8 top bolts would allow the joint to slip and place bearing force on the bolts.

Start pulling on either one of the recovery points (no winch load) and as soon as the tension on the recovery point exceeds 6400 lbs at any instant, and the bottom bolted joint switches from friction to bearing force. And that’s for Grade 8. Grade 5 would slip and enter bearing at 4500 lbs on the recovery point.

Meanwhile the bottom fastener itself can resist shear up to 9,800 lbs, or an expected failure at 19,600 lbs of pulling on the recovery point. As the bolt stretches elastically or plastically, the actual tension is reduced and the bolt is almost entirely in shear loading.

In bolted connection design, the shear strength of the bolt is generally not assumed to be reduced regardless of whether the joint is snug tight or fully tensioned. Laboratory tests used in development of structural bolting standards show that the presence or absence of a bolt preload has no significant effect on the ultimate strength of the bolt either in tension or shear.

Friction forces on the head of the bolt to the top plate are generally ignored, as the bolt usually has a small capability to misalign in the hole. Given that TJ frames have welded nuts, this may add a small amount of frictional strength, but this cannot be relied upon to keep the joint in friction versus bearing. I doubt the welded nuts are sufficiently stiff to resist misalignment at high forces.

That said, bumper bolts are indeed intended to be installed as fully tensioned and not snug tight (typical in steel erection), and the friction of the bumper to frame is indeed an intentional part of the design. If the bolts were merely snug-tight, the bumper would be free to slip around due to the clearance gap between the bolt and the hole, and would create unnecessary stresses.

The friction is the primary means of retaining the bumper and recovery points at low to moderate forces, but the bolts themselves also have the capability to resist shear, especially in higher load applications.
It is a slip critical connection.

Since a heavy-duty winch comes with Grade 5 hardware which is well proven to be strong enough, I don' t see any need for a bumper which does not carry the winching load of the winch to require anything stronger than Grade 5 (or 8.8).

Since a heavy-duty winch comes with Grade 5 hardware which is well proven to be strong enough, I don' t see any need for a bumper which does not carry the winching load of the winch to require anything stronger than Grade 5 (or 8.8).

Perfectly accurate until you toss in the fact that most TJ front bumpers are held on with at least 4 bolts through tow hooks which I would really prefer to have gr. 8 hardware.

I am however confused by your statement of the bumper not carrying the winching load. Is that based on the presumption that a winch deck other than the bumper will be in use?

I am however confused by your statement of the bumper not carrying the winching load. Is that based on the presumption that a winch deck other than the bumper will be in use?
No, it's because a winch is bolted to the frame under the bumper, the winch mounting bolts only pass through the bumper. The bumper isn't even required to be present to mount a winch.

Perfectly accurate until you toss in the fact that most TJ front bumpers are held on with at least 4 bolts through tow hooks which I would really prefer to have gr. 8 hardware.

I'm not talking about my Savvy bumper with its integrated winch mount, I'm talking about the factory bumper and most aftermarket bumpers that require winch mounting plates.

Guessing you skimmed my reply without reading all the words?

You are in an argumentative mood this morning aren't you. Not interested in getting into a pissing contest, not many bumpers have integrated winch mounts.

Not at all. You keep refuting my statements even though I give you an out. It isn't a pissing contest, I specifically mentioned other than bumper mounted winch decks to stop you from making absolute statements with holes in them big enough to drive a semi through. Then I highlighted that part to see if you missed it somehow.

Reactions: CMBD, Lou and Zorba
Lots of obsessing over nothing in this thread. On the bright side, things are so good in the US that we can spend crazy amounts of time arguing over trivial stuff that really isn’t that important.

For my $2 (inflation…what’s a penny?), I use grade 8 whenever possible but if not available for whatever reason, I’ll use grade 5. I use stainless bolts and nuts for anything non strength critical. Don’t use stainless for anything that needs to be strong!

Don’t over think it. Many people never even take their Jeeps out of the parking lot so those people could use stainless or below grade 5 and never have an issue.

• USA Proud
Reactions: ColoJeep and Zorba