Arizona Rock Crawler

I read back through this thread, and my only thought besides looks good, is I am jealous of your Amazon warehouse deal on the Spare Warn lock outs for 120$. I'm gonna watch for a set also. I buy the warehouse deal stuff sometimes and its a good deal.

I saw you are planning on running an Aux cooler for the trans, that will be a must IMO. Go into the radiator and then the cooler and back. I'm sure you knew that! But tossing it in here anyway.
Yep next project will be an auxiliary cooler for sure.

So flooring it my shift point is is like 3200 rpms. I feel like if I’m flooring it it should shift later no?

Reactions: Cross-Threaded-06TJ
Busy day today! Got the rear shaft back from TW
E31F2451-D8C6-4F34-84E7-B456DC8F82AB.jpeg

Ended up getting the shift points to where I like them. I had the TVcable tightened all the way previously and realized the bracket on the trans was bent back preventing me from getting the cable as tight as it needed to go. Bent that in the opposite direction and adjusted the TV cable 3 clicks or so tighter than being neutral and it feels great. If I floor it then it shifts at 4250ish. Lots of zip has returned.

I also had a leaky dipstick tube so I took that out and put some RTV around the o ring and no more leak.

I also had a small bit of atf under the weep hole under the output shaft. I’m hoping that was just residual atf in the tranny from when I installed it but I will keep an eye on the skid for puddles.

while zippin around town and getting on the freeway for half an hour my peak trans temp was 170*. I can see that getting much higher when summer rolls around so I will install a setrab slim oil cooler here in the next month or so.

Today’s the day for the maiden wheeling voyage! I’m doing a close and familiar trail just in case. This was a huge project for me and my personal mechanical experience so I’m a little nervous but super excited. I got a phone tripod so I’ll post a YouTube video later!

Last edited:
Busy day today! Got the rear shaft back from TW
View attachment 227956
Ended up getting the shift points to where I like them. I had the TVcable tightened all the way previously and realized the bracket on the trans was bent back preventing me from getting the cable as tight as it needed to go. Bent that in the opposite direction and adjusted the TV cable 3 clicks or so tighter than being neutral and it feels great. If I floor it then it shifts at 4250ish. Lots of zip has returned.

I also had a leaky dipstick tube so I took that out and put some RTV around the o ring and no more leak.

I also had a small bit of atf under the weep hole under the output shaft. I’m hoping that was just residual atf in the tranny from when I installed it but I will keep an eye on the skid for puddles.

while zippin around town and getting on the freeway for half an hour my peak trans temp was 170*. I can see that getting much higher when summer rolls around so I will install a setrab slim oil cooler here in the next month or so.
Maybe I need to adjust my TV cable to get it to 4250...but it might blow the old girl up! 😂
Nice work on getting the swap completed.

Wheeling today was amazing. I can’t believe how much easier it was to wheel an auto. I could actually focus on tire placement and go as slow as I wanted. I also was better up slippery rocks than I used to be. I cannot wait to go do the hardest trails we’ve got in our area now. It took about 2 seconds to get used to and I already had more confidence than before. Here’s some clips from today:

On a less fun note I’ve got some issues to contend with.
Ive got a weird noise coming from my front end now after today I need to diagnose.

The Jeep is running about 200 rpms higher than it should be on the freeway and I can’t tell if the TC is locking up or not which if it’s not would explain the elevated RPMs.

It looks like the output shaft seal is leaking which means I need to take my tcase off again and check it out. The PO of this tranny already installed a seal extender that looked banged up so I might need to figure out how to remove it and replace.

Wheeling today was amazing. I can’t believe how much easier it was to wheel an auto. I could actually focus on tire placement and go as slow as I wanted. I also was better up slippery rocks than I used to be. I cannot wait to go do the hardest trails we’ve got in our area now. It took about 2 seconds to get used to and I already had more confidence than before. Here’s some clips from today:

Ive got a weird noise coming from my front end now after today I need to diagnose.

The Jeep is running about 200 rpms higher than it should be on the freeway and I can’t tell if the TC is locking up or not which if it’s not would explain the elevated RPMs.

It looks like the output shaft seal is leaking which means I need to take my tcase off again and check it out. The PO of this tranny already installed a seal extender that looked banged up so I might need to figure out how to remove it and replace.
so awesome, badass video.
Side note, is your driverside rear tire on correctly?

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p and starkey480

Nice! Nice! Too easy man, too easy!