Arizona Rock Crawler

You're actually a fair bit smarter than that.
I have my moments! :ROFLMAO:

The savvy midarm is still in a league of its own for climbing and stability after watching it a bunch this weekend. There’s was just zero bad behavior from it.
I wouldn’t waste my time with geo correction brackets again. I had to cut the tailpipe after the muffler because the towers hit it at articulation. The towers also make my rockjock trackbar too long to completely center my rear axle. It’s not off by a lot but enough to annoy me. I’d cut my trackbar down but I want to be able to sell it when I go to a savvy midarm.
There is slight reduction in body roll due to the raised trackbar mount but that alone isn’t worth it.
I’m looking forward to putting the midarm on my Jeep this summer. The way I feel about it is the hopping turns into a safety issue when making big climbs. Especially when you have to commit and get some speed. I don’t want to be almost safe. I want a predictable suspension setup that gives me confidence to wheel. Im not sure what kind of climbs you guys have out there though and whether the hopping is a problem or not
Your last sentence is really what it's coming down to for me - I guess right now I'm at the "will I notice the benefit" crossroad. It's getting warmer outside so hopefully we'll be planning a trip out to Rausch Creek soon. From the people I have talked to who've done a lot of wheeling in PA, NJ, WV, and MD, it is generally agreed that Rausch Creek is the "yardstick" that most of the other trails are rated against and there doesn't appear to be a lot of stuff to climb (hill climbs yes, rocks/ledges not so much).

So with that, if the geo brackets you were using were providing a measurable increase in performance (not necessarily the best in class performance) and stability, the price, speed and ease of install are hard to pass up. That said, the Savvy mid-arm is still the top contender for me, though it may get delayed until I eventually bite the bullet and get a truck to tow the LJ around to more exciting locations :)

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and Wildman

Your last sentence is really what it's coming down to for me - I guess right now I'm at the "will I notice the benefit" crossroad. It's getting warmer outside so hopefully we'll be planning a trip out to Rausch Creek soon. From the people I have talked to who've done a lot of wheeling in PA, NJ, WV, and MD, it is generally agreed that Rausch Creek is the "yardstick" that most of the other trails are rated against and there doesn't appear to be a lot of stuff to climb (hill climbs yes, rocks/ledges not so much).

So with that, if the geo brackets you were using were providing a measurable increase in performance (not necessarily the best in class performance) and stability, the price, speed and ease of install are hard to pass up. That said, the Savvy mid-arm is still the top contender for me, though it may get delayed until I eventually bite the bullet and get a truck to tow the LJ around to more exciting locations :)
When I was contemplating the Geo Correction (i actually had a set, but I never installed em), talking about the install is what scared me off. There is quite a bit to it, and its really not any less work (on the axle, anyway) than the Midarm. It also doesn't fix anything in the front end.

That being said, I never ran it, so I'm only relating things that others have told me.

The un-predictable situation i have gotten into on slimy slippery steep obstacles is not hopping, the Midarm seems to do great for that, but if i try to give it a little commit (ie throttle roll bump) i go shooting off to the side as i bounce. I'll try to get a video next time. The couple times ive almost flopped its because of this.
Arizona fixes the slimy slippery 😂

• Haha
Reactions: RINC, pc1p and Tob

I don't understand the resistance to just doing what works.

Price of admission and the installation time are my reasons. That and right now I don't have a problem to fix. Most people don't have the experience or tools for the swap and installation would probably cost more than the price of the mid arm kit.

Price of admission and the installation time are my reasons. That and right now I don't have a problem to fix. Most people don't have the experience or tools for the swap and installation would probably cost more than the price of the mid arm kit.
If you can install one, you can install the other. One doesn't need to be fixed to still not work as well as the other. And the one that doesn't need to be fixed is slightly more conducive to a shock outboard.

And didn't you build your own based off of the old Nth short arm?

Last edited:
There is zero resistance; the question that I have been asking myself is one of need and nothing else. I have zero limitations of budget, time, space, etc. Actually, if anything, I have an itch to buy myself a new Miller and want an excuse to get the subpanel put in the garage.

Although I did state that I was "between" a decision, that was a tad facetious. At this point the Savvy kit is what I am and have planned for - the alternative has mainly been a "thought experiment" to make sure that 1) I have the need and 2) I will realize a benefit (which isn't the same thing as asking "is there a benefit"). "Works" implies a specific need and I simply don't know what mine is in the new terrain. I do know - and have seen first hand - the benefits of the geo correction brackets (particularly on the road), while also seeing and understanding the compromises.

The best way I can explain it is with a camera analogy. The Nikon D6 is their flagship DSLR. For all intents and purposes - it "works" and is top in class for sports/action and wildlife. Someone shooting landscape or architecture, even with a much older prosumer grade body, would have zero realized benefit switching to a D5 or D6.

You need to spit Dave's dick out once in awhile.

There is zero resistance; the question that I have been asking myself is one of need and nothing else. I have zero limitations of budget, time, space, etc. Actually, if anything, I have an itch to buy myself a new Miller and want an excuse to get the subpanel put in the garage.

Although I did state that I was "between" a decision, that was a tad facetious. At this point the Savvy kit is what I am and have planned for - the alternative has mainly been a "thought experiment" to make sure that 1) I have the need and 2) I will realize a benefit (which isn't the same thing as asking "is there a benefit"). "Works" implies a specific need and I simply don't know what mine is in the new terrain. I do know - and have seen first hand - the benefits of the geo correction brackets (particularly on the road), while also seeing and understanding the compromises.

The best way I can explain it is with a camera analogy. The Nikon D6 is their flagship DSLR. For all intents and purposes - it "works" and is top in class for sports/action and wildlife. Someone shooting landscape or architecture, even with a much older prosumer grade body, would have zero realized benefit switching to a D5 or D6.
Your comment about waiting to get a tow rig before the mid arm would go on needs some clarification because it is anything to do with the bullshit about the mid arm's street manners, you're swallowing a line of bullshit and again, you're smarter than that.

And I've had enough. I'm weary and tired of folks calling me to tell me how much Dave slams the Savvy stuff when he is on the phone with them. I'm also tired and weary of folks keeping their fucking mouth shut in public and then asking me when I have time to fix a JW build. I'm completely fucking over it.

Your comment about waiting to get a tow rig before the mid arm would go on needs some clarification because it is anything to do with the bullshit about the mid arm's street manners, you're swallowing a line of bullshit and again, you're smarter than that.

And I've had enough. I'm weary and tired of folks calling me to tell me how much Dave slams the Savvy stuff when he is on the phone with them. I'm also tired and weary of folks keeping their fucking mouth shut in public and then asking me when I have time to fix a JW build. I'm completely fucking over it.
I would have to drive quite the distance to get to some proper rock crawling again (~32ish hours of drive time alone), so I’m considering getting a tow rig simply for comfort - nothing to do with the Savvy’s on-road handling :)

Seems like the Savvy MA advantage is really in the steep ledge climbs and terrain of the southwest/west. I haven’t met a single person on the east so far that is rocking a mid-arm to pick their brain.

Then why is Dave's dick in your month? 🤣

200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: tworley
I've been pretty disappointed with how many offline conversations I've had about all the JW issues and how little ever makes it here. Glad to see Garrett sharing a good long term review, follow up corrections, and a general thumbs down on recommending something that doesn't do what it says it does. If it corrects anything it looks to be correcting the wrong thing.

After seeing things side by side on similar rigs and driving one on road, I joined the MA backorder. While that alone won't get my rig where I want it, it's a part of a larger body of work over the last year that will (tunable shocks, outboard, better front swaybar - rear still a todo, etc.).

High school was many years ago for me. Have all the fun you want.

You took Blaine's dick out of your mouth to post that? Oh the irony.

You don't have a JW Geo Correction kit. What you built, I suspect, is closer to what Starkey has come up with to fix the JW kit. He no longer has what JW intended because it didn't work. Quit defending something that you don't have and something that didn't work. You have no need to defend JW.

I would have to drive quite the distance to get to some proper rock crawling again (~32ish hours of drive time alone), so I’m considering getting a tow rig simply for comfort - nothing to do with the Savvy’s on-road handling :)

When are y'all coming out for a vacation? We been on a good run of taking out of towners out wheeling. 🙃

Reactions: JMT and pc1p
There is way too much that goes on behind the scenes. Lots of info that folks are hiding that they don’t publicly share. I wish more guys were transparent with their experiences. It would clarify this misinformation that way to often isn’t shown.

LOL, you don't know everything after all. Mine are based on Jim Frens design.
So, not the JW kit? It matters because for a year now we have all been aware of how the JW Geo kit behaves off road, despite efforts to deny it. Now some of us have seen that if the JW Geo kit is modified into something fundamentally other than what JW intended, it can be improved. Yet somehow that is lost on a certain crowd of pretend free thinkers who feel the need to place this kit on an underdog pedestal because it is more important to feel like not-a-sheep than to actually care about function and performance.

Reactions: rasband