Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

Today I reorganized my tools… I was tired of my shitty plastic socket case so I got Olsa socket rails. They seem to hold the sockets really well. A good shake test and nothing falls off, even with the impact sockets.
View attachment 371185
I also got a wrench roll
View attachment 371186

View attachment 371188
And now all my trail tools fit in here. Two bonuses with this, now all my tools are consolidated to one bag, and also the bag fits in the passenger footwell instead of on top of my spare tire cargo rack to keep the weight a little lower. I don’t even really need my cargo rack for wheeling anymore since everything can fit around the spare.
View attachment 371189

Are all of those rails full of sockets in that bag?

Are all of those rails full of sockets in that bag?

Yes, except for the ETorx. But now that I have rails, I’d like to start filtering out the sockets I will never need on the trail and make a purely Jeep set and a purely garage set. In the past I would put my whole hard case socket set in the Jeep.

Last edited:
Yes, but now that I have rails, I’d like to start filtering out the sockets I will never need on the trail and make a purely Jeep set and a purely garage set.

You don't need rails to do that and that should start right now. You have way too many duplicates and at least 50 you will never touch on the trail. There are not but a small handful of sockets you need anyway for trail repairs.
12 point 13mm 1/2" drive socket and a spare.
Lug nut removal sockets and extensions.
Specialty bits for the hub kit.
Control arm sockets both sizes.
2-3 Torx bits for stuff like the throttle body etc. that can't be done any other way and that includes the Tamper version for the ignition switch.
13mm ratchet wrench to spin out the knuckle bolts a bit faster, not required but convenient.
Diff cover sockets and drive shaft pinion yoke tools.
Lug nut socket typically removes nuts on tie rod ends.
Phillips #2 in a very quality version for taking the dash apart to get to wiring issues.

When you go at it from that view point, the trail tool bag gets a whole bunch smaller. The stuff you use repeatedly in the garage is for convenience so you can get the "just right" tool. That doesn't apply to trail repairs.

You don't need rails to do that and that should start right now. You have way too many duplicates and at least 50 you will never touch on the trail. There are not but a small handful of sockets you need anyway for trail repairs.
2-3 Torx bits for stuff like the throttle body etc. that can't be done any other way and that includes the Tamper version for the ignition switch.
13mm ratchet wrench to spin out the knuckle bolts a bit faster, not required but convenient.
Phillips #2 in a very quality version for taking the dash apart to get to wiring issues.

When you go at it from that view point, the trail tool bag gets a whole bunch smaller. The stuff you use repeatedly in the garage is for convenience so you can get the "just right" tool. That doesn't apply to trail repairs.
Thanks Blaine! I’ll take all the junk out and get it to where it needs to be.

Reactions: mrblaine
Thanks Blaine! I’ll take all the junk out and get it to where it needs to be.

The only oddball concession I will generally succumb to is something like the 1/4" 12 point box end wrench for removing the special bolt that holds in the cross pin on some carriers. That guy shouldn't be on the trail with you anyway though.

The only oddball concession I will generally succumb to is something like the 1/4" 12 point box end wrench for removing the special bolt that holds in the cross pin on some carriers. That guy shouldn't be on the trail with you anyway though.

I actually think I bought that wrench specifically for my dana 35 at one point.

Just the list I have been looking for. Thanks.

This is an excellent list and something I have been wanting for a long time. Space is limited in the TJ so it is pretty great to have a "all that you need" list of tools that can be always left in the Jeep instead of carrying the entire kitchen sink. Thank you very much for sharing this.

@Chris this really needs to be saved to the resources section.

Reactions: Chris and LJtobey
This is an excellent list and something I have been wanting for a long time. Space is limited in the TJ so it is pretty great to have a "all that you need" list of tools that can be always left in the Jeep instead of carrying the entire kitchen sink. Thank you very much for sharing this.

As I work through my new build I’ve been documenting bolt sizes, tool sizes and what oil or grease I’m using in the components so that I can make myself a condensed trail kit. It’s too easy to haul unnecessary stuff.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Ocho and RINC

It isn't complete.
Prybar and not a wimpy little piece of shit.
3 lb shop hammer with an unbreakable handle
Very high quality Crescent wrench or similar.
Breaker pipe, tube, etc. Or, long handle breaker style normal ratchet in 1/2 and 3/8" square drive. Unwieldy for some stuff, needed for other stuff.
18" aluminum pipe wrench, Rigid or equivalent quality.

Some tools I would add:

Alignment punch. You could carry an alignment pry bar but I find that sometimes you need both at the same time.

Hose puller like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08528QH3F/?tag=wranglerorg-20 I use it like a big dental pick more than anything else like for cotter pins etc cleaning snap ring grooves etc. Becomes pretty important for those of us that wheel in the cold.

A small multi-meter. There are some cool pen style ones now that take up no more space than a test light and is more versatile.

It is funny how quickly that list grows when you start going with different folks

Be careful with that. Couple friends and I made sure we were well prepared between the three of us and all of a sudden others that joined us magically never had any parts or tools.

Last edited:
Be careful with that. Couple friends and I made sure we were well prepared between the three of us and all of a sudden others that joined us magically never had any parts or tools.
I was talking about the list of people I shouldn’t wheel with 😂 had some shit shows lately

• Haha
Reactions: rasband
My wife just drove my Jeep to the store for the first time since the shocks and apparently she liked it!

67C6E62A-0DD4-45A7-BC7D-BD936B7E8051.png