Arizona Rock Crawling Daily Driver

What is so cool about this is everytime you see them, you will remember the awesome time you had that day. Those are earned badges of honor, not a decal that came in the mail.

Exactly. It’s totally true. I always feel like it adds so much character to it and shows the purpose the Jeep serves.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
What broke on the front axle?

RCV internal cracked in two places allowing either the inner shaft to slip in the splines of the internal or to allow the CV balls to slip. I originally thought the balls, but more likely it was the cracked internal opening up slightly due to the cracks and the shaft slipping in the internal. I had a spare and installed it and climbed the tree in my front yard with the tire this morning, so hopefully it is fixed (for now).

Enough about my jeep in Garrett's thread. Back to your regularly scheduled programming..........

RCV internal cracked in two places allowing either the inner shaft to slip in the splines of the internal or to allow the CV balls to slip. I originally thought the balls, but more likely it was the cracked internal opening up slightly due to the cracks and the shaft slipping in the internal. I had a spare and installed it and climbed the tree in my front yard with the tire this morning, so hopefully it is fixed (for now).

Enough about my jeep in Garrett's thread. Back to your regularly scheduled programming..........

You’re all good, it’s all part of the overall story. Glad you got it fixed

Reactions: Wildman

Going to use the RCV warranty against breakage?

I’d ask in your thread but you haven’t updated it even though I’ve seen your wheeling video.

I sent RCV an email, waiting for response. Haven't had a chance to write up anything in my thread, been busy with life stuff post vacation and I was hoping that Scott's girlfriend would send me some photos and vids of my rig so I could include them.

I sent RCV an email, waiting for response. Haven't had a chance to write up anything in my thread, been busy with life stuff post vacation and I was hoping that Scott's girlfriend would send me some photos and vids of my rig so I could include them.

The snap ring in the groove at the splines probably let the shaft pop out. That will move the splines out of engagement and they strip very easily after that. I've seen that far more than a cracked bell or ball cage.

Is not for me that’s for sure 😅

Money I Cant Believe It GIF by PUSHER

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and Alex01
That trail was gnarly. This is the only pic I took. We pretty much just drove and didn’t stop much unless someone got stuck.
IMG_1808.jpeg

Definitely the upper limit of my capabilities. The rocks are so big I was just catching diffs and mounts and you name it everywhere. 35s got swallowed up like it was nothing. The big rigs definitely did better than I did. However, I did hit nail really hard spots that I didn’t get last time I wheeled here and I’m proud of that. The gatekeeper was dug out a lot and I still made it which was cool.

Despite my best efforts using the tie rod as a battering ram, I couldn’t bend it. Kudos to @mrblaine and his kickass tie rod. I did bend the drag link in though and now the tie rod clamp is rubbing everything.
IMG_1799.jpeg

IMG_1807.jpeg

IMG_1802.jpeg

So that leaves me with a drag link that needs rebending and a trackbar mount that is cracking the frame. All signs seem to be pointing towards a mini front stretch soon.
IMG_1646.jpeg

That trail was gnarly. This is the only pic I took. We pretty much just drove and didn’t stop much unless someone got stuck.
View attachment 518583

Definitely the upper limit of my capabilities. The rocks are so big I was just catching diffs and mounts and you name it everywhere. 35s got swallowed up like it was nothing. The big rigs definitely did better than I did. However, I did hit nail really hard spots that I didn’t get last time I wheeled here and I’m proud of that. The gatekeeper was dug out a lot and I still made it which was cool.

Despite my best efforts using the tie rod as a battering ram, I couldn’t bend it. Kudos to @mrblaine and his kickass tie rod. I did bend the drag link in though and now the tie rod clamp is rubbing everything.
View attachment 518576

View attachment 518578

View attachment 518580

So that leaves me with a drag link that needs rebending and a trackbar mount that is cracking the frame. All signs seem to be pointing towards a mini front stretch soon.
View attachment 518582

Nobody ever really believes how tough they are.

Nobody ever really believes how tough they are.
I honestly can’t believe it myself. People would be astounded at how hard some of those hits felt today. I’ve bent the RJ tie rod a few times and if I was equipped with that today, it would have been a banana.

I added a cross member to that track bar mount, it runs from the track bar mount to the frame on the other side. Of course I am in full support of the stretch, but in the meantime you could just weld that crack and then run a cross member.

I added a cross member to that track bar mount, it runs from the track bar mount to the frame on the other side. Of course I am in full support of the stretch, but in the meantime you could just weld that crack and then run a cross member.

My whole build has been a “while I’m at it” build 😂