Arizona Rock Crawler

You going through Flagstaff or Payson? If you go through Flagstaff, take Hwy 163 north from Kayenta. Hwy 191 south of Bluff is the worst road we drove on our trip last week. Plus 163 goes through Monument Valley so it's a lot more scenic.

Me too! Well “me too” to driving it to Moab, the jeep has driven fully cross country twice, but this is the most hardcore trip it’ll have seen this far from home. 😬 Well See ya tomorrow then maybe!
Heck yeah I’ll leave early tomorrow and get there early afternoon

You going through Flagstaff or Payson? If you go through Flagstaff, take Hwy 163 north from Kayenta. Hwy 191 south of Bluff is the worst road we drove on our trip last week. Plus 163 goes through Monument Valley so it's a lot more scenic.
Thanks! I’m going through flag so I will do that

30FE2DF7-6E46-444D-B710-30B7EB83496F.jpeg

Spare tire and cargo carrier are dialed in.

Since I have some time today I will wire in my license plate light too and be legal for the trip.

Added a maxbilt license plate light/3rd brake light to my tailgate
D1FE2D44-3496-4B42-9636-792584224E92.jpeg

108261AD-F650-4F23-A050-4566E2C351DE.jpeg

A9EAD88E-74CB-41ED-AC66-135ED124C735.jpeg

Pretty simple to add the license plate light. I converted the tailgate ground wire to running light by tapping it into the passenger taillight running light. The white/orange is brake light power and the black is ground. Splice the black into the black/yellow running light wire.
DF826410-3B2B-4314-9EF6-B319CB2280A9.jpeg

Then add ground behind the tailgate armor
3C70D9DD-0724-4FBC-B1B5-DA0FD85624B9.jpeg

Then drill a hole in the armor right where the cavity is in the tailgate underneath the plate area. Run a rubber grommet and good to go!
8E303710-9249-4651-AF54-F3F1B4C9E379.jpeg

Dude, the views will be awesome. Highly recommend Monument Valley.

Played with the travel and bumpstops some more.
Here’s my tire at full stuff. I can’t believe how centered the wheel stays in the opening now during articulation. I had to trim the rear wall back over an inch before and this is uncut just barely touching at street PSI
F95DC571-B9EB-4275-8AC0-477EDFEE4EFA.jpeg

Added a maxbilt license plate light/3rd brake light to my tailgate
View attachment 246146
View attachment 246147
View attachment 246148
Pretty simple to add the license plate light. I converted the tailgate ground wire to running light by tapping it into the passenger taillight running light. The white/orange is brake light power and the black is ground. Splice the black into the black/yellow running light wire.
View attachment 246149
Then add ground behind the tailgate armor
View attachment 246150
Then drill a hole in the armor right where the cavity is in the tailgate underneath the plate area. Run a rubber grommet and good to go!
View attachment 246151
Very clever. I was going to buy a three pin door switch to do the same. Still might, but your idea is a good one too!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dak-mgs-3

Reactions: JMT and starkey480
That’s pretty slick! Didn’t think of changing that.
That is a @mrblaine trick. I think he uses them for clients that want power windows and locks...and still want to remove their doors. I knew the TJ only had two pins for the brake light...so I thought I'd change it. But.. grounding through the tailgate and using those two pins for two seperate circuits is very clever. My only concern would be the slight clearance in the hinge pins necessary for the tailgate to actually move and having a bad ground condition rear up.

That is a @mrblaine trick. I think he uses them for clients that want power windows and locks...and still want to remove their doors. I knew the TJ only had two pins for the brake light...so I thought I'd change it. But.. grounding through the tailgate and using those two pins for two seperate circuits is very clever. My only concern would be the slight clearance in the hinge pins necessary for the tailgate to actually move and having a bad ground condition rear up.
We've been using the tailgate as a ground for a long time. It has not been an issue yet. Certainly far easier than messing with the 3rd brake light contacts and changing that whole mess out.

Reactions: Mike_H
5 more hours to go! Jeep is driving great. Anyone else suffer from constant paranoia of listening for sounds, vibrations, and any funny business while taking the Jeep out on long drives? Because I definitely do 😂View attachment 246405
I worry about mine NOT making funny noises

5 more hours to go! Jeep is driving great. Anyone else suffer from constant paranoia of listening for sounds, vibrations, and any funny business while taking the Jeep out on long drives? Because I definitely do 😂View attachment 246405
It's time to turn the radio on, turn the A/C on, push the accelerator more and smile.