Arizona Tow Pigging Daily Driver

You can get eccentric bushings with more offset up to a point. Hopefully you aren't already at the limit. Aligning those trucks isn't hard if you know how to do it.basically there are two caster settings for each bushing when you set camber correctly. Spin it til the camber is right and then read caster. Need more caster? Put in a bushing with more offset and repeat.

There used to be charts for which one to use for a given amount of change.going to a ford truck center might be your best bet.

Just don't get the two piece ones to help out your alignment guy.they are a pain.

I’m pretty sure the bushings are 2 piece adjustable. They were already in there. Maybe I’ll take it to someone that specializes in I beams and can just put the right bushings in to give me the desired caster

Where the inept techs get in trouble is not bouncing the truck enough. Sometimes you even want to roll them back and forth to settle the beams imbetween adjustments

I think I’ll get the brakes done with first to make sure nothing is sticking or dragging and then go get the alignment done somewhere that is competent with I beams

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
This is what they look like
IMG_4137.png

This is what they look likeView attachment 536081

When i had a ranger and access to an alignment machine i bought those. They seized up and i couldn't get them to work. It was faster to just drop in the right bushing. If they can be adjusted right then cool,not my preference though.

I'd jump that truck until the beams bent beyond being usable.usually a few months. Then get more beams from a stock explorer and repeat. I got pretty good at aligning this style.

When i had a ranger and access to an alignment machine i bought those. They seized up and i couldn't get them to work. It was faster to just drop in the right bushing. If they can be adjusted right then cool,not my preference though.

I'd jump that truck until the beams bent beyond being usable.usually a few months. Then get more beams from a stock explorer and repeat. I got pretty good at aligning this style.
I wish I had access to a machine. I haven’t had to pay anyone to do anything on my rig in years. Hate it

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
I keep forgetting to take pics. Steering shaft clunked a lot when turning wheel back and forth. Took it out and the rag joint and u joint were both tight. The slip joint just had a lot of play. Took a hammer and chisel to the 2 splines and just tightened it up a bit. Be careful not to tighten it up too much. It needs to be able to slide in and out to install. No more clunk and the wheel feels much more solid.

Driving around town is feeling night and day better since tightening up the shaft and the box. I think now only caster would make it better.

Reactions: Mike_H
Today was not my day. Did my first drum brake job in the 110 heat today. Sucked ass. Get it all together and parking brake doesn’t work. Beating my head against the wall. Finally I figure out the shoes aren’t shaped right. I’m pretty sure they sent me some bad shoes.
Here’s the old shoe. Note the upper left hand corner of the shoe there is a pronounced vertical face. The parking brake lever pushes against that to push the shoes out.
IMG_4283.jpeg

Here’s the shoe they gave me. I have a screw driver prying it up and out but there is no face on it so the parking brake lever just slides right over it
IMG_4291.jpeg

Am I being a tard and missing something? Or did rockauto send me the wrong shoes? The left shoe has the correct part number on it so idk if it’s just a manufacturing error? I looked up a picture of the part number I ordered and it looks like it should. If I have to do all this shit again I’m buying some drum brake tools because that shit sucked
IMG_4289.png

Today was not my day. Did my first drum brake job in the 110 heat today. Sucked ass. Get it all together and parking brake doesn’t work. Beating my head against the wall. Finally I figure out the shoes aren’t shaped right. I’m pretty sure they sent me some bad shoes.
Here’s the old shoe. Note the upper left hand corner of the shoe there is a pronounced vertical face. The parking brake lever pushes against that to push the shoes out.
View attachment 536834
Here’s the shoe they gave me. I have a screw driver prying it up and out but there is no face on it so the parking brake lever just slides right over it
View attachment 536835
Am I being a tard and missing something? Or did rockauto send me the wrong shoes? The left shoe has the correct part number on it so idk if it’s just a manufacturing error? I looked up a picture of the part number I ordered and it looks like it should. If I have to do all this shit again I’m buying some drum brake tools because that shit sucked
View attachment 536836

Bro, you need to cut your toe nails.

• Haha
Reactions: starkey480
First things first with drums.

-ALWAYS do one side at a time so you have a reference on the other side when putting parts back on.parts can look similar at first glance but need to be put back exactly how they were to function correctly.

- most drum systems have a front and rear shoe with different sizes of friction material and or shoe shapes. Are yours mixed up?

-yes your new chinese parts can absolutely be wrong. Use your old parts as a reference.

For occational work on drums a few screwdrivers and vise grips to pull the springs into place are ok. No need to buy a bunch of tools. Be very sure you aren't overtightening the adjusters for the drums.

-ALWAYS do one side at a time so you have a reference on the other side when putting parts back on.parts can look similar at first glance but need to be put back exactly how they were to function correctly.

- most drum systems have a front and rear shoe with different sizes of friction material and or shoe shapes. Are yours mixed up?

-yes your new chinese parts can absolutely be wrong. Use your old parts as a reference.

For occational work on drums a few screwdrivers and vise grips to pull the springs into place are ok. No need to buy a bunch of tools. Be very sure you aren't overtightening the adjusters for the drums.

Looks like the shoes just didn’t have the square head on them so I got sent bad shoes somehow. Just got some Napa shoes that have the right square head.

Reactions: Rickyd

IMG_4309.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

Got the cracked windshield replaced and chrome headlight bezels on. Bumper is raised up and square. She’s looking like a new truck now.

Today I also did some AC stuff. The high pressure port schrader was leaking. It leaked out all the Freon on its own before I could schedule an appointment to capture it so all I had to do was swap the schraders, run a quick vacuum on the system and fill it up with Freon.