ATOTO A6 Pro double DIN install

texvet

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Had to upgrade the radio in the jeep, the after market one that was in it suddenly became possessed and was randomly changing channels, volume, input source etc. Many thanks to who came before me on the double din install. I went with the ATOTO A6 Pro and added on the Dash Cam, rear camera (more for obstacles / spotting in reverse than parking), and ODB II. It came with dual bluetooth, GPS, WiFi, and pretty much everything else.

I'm really liking the android OS, while also having apple car play for my iPhone. It seems to be the best of both worlds to me. System is stable and snappy thus far. I'll follow up in a few months on how it's holding up.

Here is everything unpacked including the double din faceplate from Amazon.

IMG_4741.JPG

The trimming was a little more than I thought, besides the plastic separating the AC controls and the radio, I had to trim down above the unit. From the factory it angles down to wedge the factory radio in place, my guess to limit bounce etc.

IMG_9004.JPG

I used a hack saw blade to start the cuts, then tin snips and a Dremel to finish it off.

IMG_6188.JPG

Reactions: BlueFl.Wrangler
I ran everything except the rear camera, waiting to replace the front seats and lay down sound proofing in December. I'll route the rear wires at that point and clean up the existing ones in the jeep. Here it is pretty much buttoned up.

59328266300__65E8B8FA-78E2-4743-9F6D-14A826122922.JPG

Pretty cool being able to pull all trails on it as well:

59330047321__4E8FDA1F-94D0-4940-ACA4-A302B3C200DF.JPG

I have read several threads on the radio wiring diagrams and finally decided to go pin to pin and write down what the schematic said based on wire color. If it will help anyone in the future here it is (for the record purple is violet)

IMG_9144.JPG

Nice, I put the same unit in my Ford F-150 and really like it, it works well. The only negative I can think of I like my volume button to be on a dial instead of a push button. But that's just me. Really a well working unit.

where did you get the new bezel piece to accommodate the Double-Din on the front of the dash?
Cost?

Not a bad price at all! If I had an Android and not an iPhone I would definitely go this route.

I had that same exact unit, but swapped it for a Sony Xav with carplay. The main problem was the processing speed and the music quality, for some reason when using the iphone with bluetooth it sounded distorted even with the phone volume halfway. The only way for music to come out clean was to run it directly from the head unit, when connecting it to wifi it would always glitch and takes about a minute or two to connect. You can only mirror iphone, but still only able to control it in the phone

I had that same exact unit, but swapped it for a Sony Xav with carplay. The main problem was the processing speed and the music quality, for some reason when using the iphone with bluetooth it sounded distorted even with the phone volume halfway. The only way for music to come out clean was to run it directly from the head unit, when connecting it to wifi it would always glitch and takes about a minute or two to connect. You can only mirror iphone, but still only able to control it in the phone

Have not experienced that issue yet, although I'm still playing around with the different configurations bluetooth vs. direct connect, etc. If I have the same issues I will defiantly post about it so people are aware.

Reactions: Jramos013
Texvet, nice install. Will the obd2 screen show the trans temp?

ODB reader does not show the trans temp. You can add custom PID's, from what I have read this is not available in the on-board diagnostic for the 04. I was hoping but have not found it yet.

Nice pics and write up. I used same radio in my couch last year and works great and have 2nd sitting on bench for my TJR. Thanks for motivation :)