ATV toolbox for a TJ

An update to finish off the project.

I found a paddle handle and added a Tuffy combo lock.
20200211_154437.jpg
20200211_154442.jpg

Cut the right shape hole.
20200211_154458.jpg
20200211_155354.jpg

Rivet the handle onto the box.
20200211_162051.jpg

Add a lift strut.
20200211_171618.jpg

Modified a mounting tab from something else to make a latch for the lid.
20200322_103245.jpg

All done.
20200322_103504.jpg

I have lived with the offset placement for about 2 months. In the world of compromises surrounding the lack of cargo space in a Wrangler, I think the smaller box moved to the side was the right decision. While I could certainly use more lockable space, I have also needed more open floor space and more of the depth than I kept. So far, what I have with the smaller offset box is a good useful middle ground.

Mine weighs about 10-15lbs for a simple box. Some of these boxes with drawers like Tuffy can be close to 100 lbs.

Hey Vinsanity, how much did the K & W tool box run you?
It was years ago, but it was $550 shipped. Also, I don't have the exact same one they have on the web page. I need space more than I need it to stay below the body line. So rather than a 16.5" tall, I had them make a custom version that is 23" tall. (Crappy picture but all I can find. It's the side of the back of a TJ, so there is some extra space in front of it in my LJ)

Works great, but I'll be selling it (in Oregon). I have a new cage that it won't fit in.

IMG_20190702_221900.jpg

@jjvw - this box I have is perfect (it's only 32" wide). I got the b idea from @MountaineerTom. See my thread in the Gear area, I linked his photos there. It holds quite a bit! The only thing I did not like about it was the cost but I had some prime rewards points so I did not mind. It's all Aluminium and only 17lb and after I saw it in person I was happy that I bought it.

UWS EC20012 32-Inch Gloss Black Heavy-Wall Aluminum ATV Storage Box, RigidCore Lid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BXS2JS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The box is sitting on 4 hockey pucks and just barely clears the seat rails. I have it bolted down to the seat rails, see photo below.

I removed the latch/lock that came with it and installed a Bolt one (link below). The bolt latch "learns" your Jeep key. This way you don't have to carry an extra key.

Also, as a bonus for me, the recovery boards I bought a while ago for behind it just about perfect with a bungee cords around the handles. I'm really happy with this box.

Bolt 7022699 Toolbox Latch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VA6PPG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

View attachment 131979

View attachment 131980

View attachment 131981

View attachment 131988
Nice install job!

Reactions: psrivats
It was years ago, but it was $550 shipped. Also, I don't have the exact same one they have on the web page. I need space more than I need it to stay below the body line. So rather than a 16.5" tall, I had them make a custom version that is 23" tall. (Crappy picture but all I can find. It's the side of the back of a TJ, so there is some extra space in front of it in my LJ)

Works great, but I'll be selling it (in Oregon). I have a new cage that it won't fit in.

View attachment 186412

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'm leaning towards the Diabolical Slipstream, it's $650, but turns the entire back seat area into one secure trunk with access through the tailgate.

View attachment 186412

Vinsanity, I don't see where I can pm you, shoot me an email at [email protected] when you get a chance.