Automatic Shifter Indicator

Martynt74

Supporting Member
Does anyone have a fix for the shifter position indicator where it doesn't move up/down with the lever?

9fqmCt6.png

Mine looks like it's stuck between Park and Reverse as i can just see some slight shading in both squares. I would have assumed it was just a bit of a marker attached to the side of the shift lever.

Annoyingly the Jeeps not at my place at the moment so can't get a photo.

The main issue is i have no interior overhead light, so when it's dark i have no idea what position i'm in without digging a torch out, as my shifts can be fairly clunky. (Replacing the ATF is on the to do list!)

It sounds like the shifter indicator cable may be broken or disconnected. The cable runs from the shifter assembly to the dashboard where the indicator is located. The cable is responsible for moving the indicator as the shifter lever is moved up and down.

To fix the issue, you'll need to first remove the dashboard trim to access the shifter indicator cable. Once you can see the cable, check to see if it's broken or disconnected. If it's broken, you'll need to replace it. If it's disconnected, you can try to reconnect it or adjust it so that it catches and moves the indicator as the shifter is moved.

Most likely, fixing the shifter indicator cable will also solve your interior overhead light issue. The light is designed to turn on when the shifter is in the "Park" position. Since the indicator is stuck between "Park" and "Reverse," the light won't turn on. Once the cable is fixed and the indicator is properly aligned, the light should work correctly.

• Haha
Reactions: CMBD
Mine doesn't even have a pointer, I thought it would bother more than it actually does.
I just use the shift detent gates, one click for reverse then slap the lever back till it stops for drive
20230512_072304.jpg

There's just a small plastic piece that keeps the red shift indicator aligned with the shifter. I'd pop the shifter up & out of the console and take a look. I can't believe ChatGPT is blaming the shift cable for that issue or saying being in Park has anything to do with the overhead interior light.

There's just a small plastic piece that keeps the red shift indicator aligned with the shifter. I'd pop the shifter up & out of the console and take a look. I can't believe ChatGPT is blaming the shift cable for that issue or saying being in Park has anything to do with the overhead interior light.

Ah ok, there was me thinking it was a really useful response.

Shows it's not quite there yet!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Does anyone have a fix for the shifter position indicator where it doesn't move up/down with the lever?

View attachment 424135

Mine looks like it's stuck between Park and Reverse as i can just see some slight shading in both squares. I would have assumed it was just a bit of a marker attached to the side of the shift lever.

Annoyingly the Jeeps not at my place at the moment so can't get a photo.

The main issue is i have no interior overhead light, so when it's dark i have no idea what position i'm in without digging a torch out, as my shifts can be fairly clunky. (Replacing the ATF is on the to do list!)

See if @zebra12 ’s fix will help you out.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...your-jeep-wrangler-tj.9151/page-7#post-633128

Reactions: zebra12

where did this chatbot bs come from?