Automatic transmission stuck in reverse

JP13

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Auto trans. Stuck in reverse. Jeep won't start because it's in reverse. Solution?

Took the shifter cover off and found a bolt that had left my cup holder and worked it's way under the shifter. I think it jammed when shifting. Removed the bolt and shifter can now move, but it's stuck in reverse no matter which gear I select.

The nylon shifter rod that extends down through the shift lever that pushes against the unlock mechanism under the shift pattern plate is probably broken. If it is, a plastic coat hanger or similar type of rod can be substituted, some even use chopsticks to semi-permanently replace their broken shifter rods. The shift handle on top comes off by simply pulling (hard, it is tight) straight up on it, no screws or bolts hold the shift handle to the shift lever. Once off, you can pull the shifter rod out to see if it is broken. It looks like plastic beads linked in series to form a flexible rod.

If that is ok, the fastener bushing that holds the shift cable to the shift lever on the transmission has broken. You can temporarily reattach it with a nylon zip tie. The Jeep p/n for that part is 68137495AA.

Once off, you can pull the shifter rod out to see if it is broken. It looks like plastic beads linked in series to form a flexible rod.

Does the plastic shifter rod just pull out of the shaft or will I brake it just pulling on it?

Found the problem.
20161126_132605.jpg

Plastic bushing broke. I'd like to replace it with a bolt. I need to take the arm off first. It's held on with a single bolt and square nut. I removed the bolt, but the arm won't come off. Should the arm slide off by pulling up towards the tub?

Bushing arrived yesterday. I cut the zip tie and replaced the bushing today. Easy fix with dish soap and pliers. I'll replace it with a stainless steel bolt in the spring. Until then I have a spare in the glove box.

Reactions: brown_mule