Aux light wiring help: Anyone wire Daylighters using Rugged Ridge 15210.70 wire kit?

Stockli

TJ Enthusiast
Hey fellas,

I have had this kit for a while and I am just now getting around to wiring these lights up.

here is my issue, the loom for the relay looks to have been wired completely wrong and I can’t figure out what they are doing here.

it came to me wired as such:

red fused power from bat. With ring terminal on 87
power out to lights on 30
ground on 86
jumper from fused power wire from 87 to 85(? Huh?)

I was going to wire:

fused power from bat to 30
power out to lights ( split with bullets one to each light) on 87
ground at 86
grounds from lights to same ground screw in bumper
wire out from switch to 85

how am I supposed to wire this?

also I have a OC illuminated rocker switch that goes into the blank on my dash bezel. in the factory harness behind the bezel are there provisional power and ground wires already there? Or should I tap into the rear washer power wire and ground (already there on my Sahara)or the cig lighter, and run the switch (trigger) wire through the firewall to the relay?

all the wiring on my jeep is completely stock and unmolested.
how have you all wired these?

thanks!

I can post pics if need be

Last edited:
c9-56bffd69bff1_1.d00e78b143a67959212d2b5b782f1cb1.jpg
61nhrNUV22L._SL1200_.jpg

So is this why they had the power jumpered to either 85 or 86? It looks like in this case the only difference is the ground of the switch is connected to the relay? What is the switch is an illuminated 3 wire?

also what is typical in this application?

also it appears power from bat can go either 30 or the one across, same difference is that correct?

In the ground triggered drawing; the positive is jumped between 30 and 86 because the ground is switched to close the relay contacts.
When the original owner wired the relay; they wired it backwards using 85 and 87 as the positive where it is supposed to be negative.
Generally 30 is the incoming fused power, 87 is used in a normally open circuit, 87a is the used in a normally closed circuit, 86 is positive side for the relay coil and 85 is the negative side for the relay coil.

Reactions: Stockli