Aux Trans Cooler Install Question

Ron505

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just ordered my trans cooler the other day, and I'm hoping to install this weekend. The problem is I am reading conflicting information on if I should install before entering the stock/radiator cooler, or after. It seems to me like installing it before the stock one wouldn't work because then the radiator would heat it back up before returning to the trans. But then if I install after the stock one, will it take a longer time to get up to operating temp?

Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.
Ron

No matter what manufacturers of transmission cooler kits recommend, which is to place the cooler after the factory cooler, you will always find some who come up with reasons why said manufacturers don't know what they're talking about. I'd stick with the conventional wisdom of placing the aux cooler after the OE cooler as the manufacturers recommend. If it gets so cold where you live during the winter you feel the transmission isn't running warm enough, plumb in a temporary bypass each winter.

Reactions: Chris
That's what makes the most sense to me as well. I'll also be installing a temp gauge, so I'll be able to monitor it. Thanks guys!