Axle adjustment and general questions.

Bigmak2118

Supporting Member
Good Day!
I recently got my first Jeep, 1997 Wrangler! Dream come true finally, now I need to give it some well deserved TLC. I've been doing little things like fixing blinkers, lights, fluids and such. Along the way I've noticed some things that I need advice on.

I've attached a diagram and photos.
From what I can tell a Ford 8.8 swap was done (4.1 gears, tested myself). 33s x 12.5 with spacers maybe 1.5 inch (not sure). Rear control arms are stock. My axle appear "crooked" or out of thrust. And it appears further to the driver side. I guess my question is should I install adjustable rear lower and upper control arms to fix the caster on the passenger side which may fix the axle being further to the driver side (maybe not).

Next question
If the control arms don't fix the side to side issue will and adjustable rear track bar?

Last question (for now)
Is this a ford 8.8? The diff appears to be unless I'm missing something.

All the mods were not installed by me, I bought it like this. Please excuse any ignorance about these topics as I'm new to the jeep world.

Another edit... 2 inch budget boost, and 1.5 inch BL. These are not set in stone and the goal is to keep same height but with full springs not the budget boost.

driver side.jpg

passenger side.jpg

rear axel and diff.jpg

rear axle 2.jpg

rear axle 3.jpg

rear axle 1.jpg

pass tire.jpg

driver tire.jpg

driver tire side.jpg

pass tire side.jpg

PXL_20210504_214237688.jpg

PXL_20210504_214227996.MP.jpg

TJ axle diagram.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
it appears to be an 8.8

You need an adjustable rear track bar and possibly a relocation mount to make it clear and to center the axle, that stresses the driveline. Cycle it to make sure nothing hits the tank skid or you have any interference.

if one side is closer to the front than the other , you need control arm bushings at the minimum and you need to look into adjustable control arms if you have that and any vibe issues , as that is indicative of an improper pinion angle.

it appears a lot of work is done, you need to dial it the rest of the way in.

don’t underestimate the value if good components under these.

Reactions: Bigmak2118
it appears to be an 8.8

You need an adjustable rear track bar and possibly a relocation mount to make it clear and to center the axle, that stresses the driveline. Cycle it to make sure nothing hits the tank skid or you have any interference.

if one side is closer to the front than the other , you need control arm bushings at the minimum and you need to look into adjustable control arms if you have that and any vibe issues , as that is indicative of an improper pinion angle.

it appears a lot of work is done, you need to dial it the rest of the way in.

don’t underestimate the value if good components under these.
Thanks for the reply, I was definitely thinking rear control arms. I just started researching the pinion angles, I think I get the gist of that. Do I need both adjustable uppers and lowers?

Now I haven't done much research on the rear track bar. Would a relocation mount need to be welded? I have probably 1% of experience welding so I would have to take it somewhere.

Any recommendations on parts?

Thanks for the reply, I was definitely thinking rear control arms. I just started researching the pinion angles, I think I get the gist of that. Do I need both adjustable uppers and lowers?

Now I haven't done much research on the rear track bar. Would a relocation mount need to be welded? I have probably 1% of experience welding so I would have to take it somewhere.

Any recommendations on parts?
Do small changes, most brackets bolt on and most bars are great ...JKS makes nice ones .
Dont change arms til you are sure or are ready to commit to a lift height for the long run is my advice, and can afford good ones. (Which may be now) ...but go slow...you mat be ok with good bushings and the rear track bar with where you are.

You need to see if it has one on it (a rear track bar)

ive seen them without them

It also seems to have no rear sway bar

i bet it drives squirrely

It also seems to have no rear sway bar

i bet it drives squirrely
It's not a bad ride drove it home 4 hours no issues when I got it. A little sway in the steering but nothing crazy. I'll have to look for a rear sway bar, wasn't thinking about that lol.

It's not a bad ride drove it home 4 hours no issues when I got it. A little sway in the steering but nothing crazy. I'll have to look for a rear sway bar, wasn't thinking about that lol.
It definitely looks like it doesn't, just read another thread on here (you were on it) talking about needing them...lol it's on the list.

It definitely looks like it doesn't, just read another thread on here (you were on it) talking about needing them...lol it's on the list.
Dont stress too much...get it centered and sort it out, stay on here, tons of good guys.