Basket's Build

Hope it all works for you and cures all your woes with flat-towing it. Be nice to be able to enjoy your camper & truck plus your Jeep without having to sped $$$. I know how that feels right now...
Yeah definitely. Was supposed to be the easier cheaper route but it's hardly that anymore. Oh well. Hopefully this lasts for a few years til I can get an aluminum trailer so the weight works out.
I really wasn't happy when I had to buy my trailer either at the time. Was planning on just flat-towing for a while longer.
What pushed you into it early?

Yeah definitely. Was supposed to be the easier cheaper route but it's hardly that anymore. Oh well. Hopefully this lasts for a few years til I can get an aluminum trailer so the weight works out.

I'd like an aluminum trailer too but they are $$$$

What pushed you into it early?

My STaK's burnt up twice.... And after they were like no more flat towing. Get a trailer. The first time the bearings got so hot they had to cut the case in half to find out what had happened inside.

The second one the front bearing was toast after a 100-120 mile trip. They warrantied both of them but it was about 6 months or longer of down time too.

I'd like an aluminum trailer too but they are $$$$
Yeah totally.. sounds like it's either that or buy a steel trailer and a bigger truck for me though :LOL:
My STaK's burnt up twice.... And after they were like no more flat towing. Get a trailer. The first time the bearings got so hot they had to cut the case in half to find out what had happened inside.

The second one the front bearing was toast after a 100-120 mile trip. They warrantied both of them but it was about 6 months or longer of down time too.

Ahhh yeah that sucks. Cool of them to fix it twice at least but that is a long time. Probably not much different getting the trailer than having to replace the tcase yourself

Yeah totally.. sounds like it's either that or buy a steel trailer and a bigger truck for me though :LOL:

Ahhh yeah that sucks. Cool of them to fix it twice at least but that is a long time. Probably not much different getting the trailer than having to replace the tcase yourself

You can tow your jeep on a steel trailer. A good aluminum trailer isn't really all that much lighter than steel.

You can tow your jeep on a steel trailer. A good aluminum trailer isn't really all that much lighter than steel.

I've never compared weight differences between the two. Then in this case what is the reason for aluminum over steel? Other than corrosion.

I've never compared weight differences between the two. Then in this case what is the reason for aluminum over steel? Other than corrosion.

The reason I went flat tow instead of trailer when we discussed this a month or so ago was that I was going to be too close to the rear axle weight limit with the camper and trailer

The reason I went flat tow instead of trailer when we discussed this a month or so ago was that I was going to be too close to the rear axle weight limit with the camper and trailer

I understand that & remember some of the conversation but not all of it. My steel trailer is about 1600lbs & has a combine capacity of 7Klbs. So tongue weight would be approx 600-700 lbs if loaded correctly.

I understand that & remember some of the conversation but not all of it. My steel trailer is about 1600lbs & has a combine capacity of 7Klbs. So tongue weight would be approx 600-700 lbs if loaded correctly.

maybe i'll have to go back and read it. The requirement for the hitch extension to clear the camper was part of it I think. I really should have just bought the trailer. The bumper brings me up to like 2300$ for this setup so I'm hardly even saving anything for the inconvenience. But whatever lol it is what it is at this point.

Camper is ~1400lbs, jeep is what 4k roughly + 1600lb trailer should be around 560lb tongue weight putting me around 2k extra on the rear axle. Probably would have been fine? oh well.

maybe i'll have to go back and read it. The requirement for the hitch extension to clear the camper was part of it I think. I really should have just bought the trailer. The bumper brings me up to like 2300$ for this setup so I'm hardly even saving anything for the inconvenience. But whatever lol it is what it is at this point.

Camper is ~1400lbs, jeep is what 4k roughly + 1600lb trailer should be around 560lb tongue weight putting me around 2k extra on the rear axle. Probably would have been fine? oh well.

Hindsight right?

Yep I guess so. I have always been too impulsive so just another lesson to slow down.

If the flat towing pisses me off enough I'll just pause my loan payments and buy a trailer, not really a huge deal.

I don't HAVE to pay them off in 3 years. I just want to.

You & me both brother... Even with all my years you'd think I'd have learned by now.

And I get ya on wanting to pay those loans off ASAP.

You & me both brother... Even with all my years you'd think I'd have learned by now.
Yep lol. Sometimes gets you into interesting, or even good rarely, situations. But mostly just helps me make the wrong decision lol.
And I get ya on wanting to pay those loans off ASAP.
Yeah, it sucks, but for 6 years of school (which actually paid off, apparently a rarity nowadays), it's not alll that bad. Can't hurt learning some financial discipline...

Reactions: reddvltj and PNW_LJ
Yep I guess so. I have always been too impulsive so just another lesson to slow down.

If the flat towing pisses me off enough I'll just pause my loan payments and buy a trailer, not really a huge deal.

I don't HAVE to pay them off in 3 years. I just want to.

Have Joe pay it off for you.

So, for comparison sake, my 14’ aluminum trailer has the same capacity, but it’s about 1200 lbs, give or take. Wood deck, build in, full width ramp.

So, for comparison sake, my 14’ aluminum trailer has the same capacity, but it’s about 1200 lbs, give or take. Wood deck, build in, full width ramp.

Guess I figured it'd be a bigger difference.. that's 40lbs tongue weight if loaded correctly? Roughly similar to the weight of a few gallons of water lol.

I don't think he majored in underwater basket weaving, sadly.

Born a natural at that one!!

Guess I figured it'd be a bigger difference.. that's 40lbs tongue weight if loaded correctly? Roughly similar to the weight of a few gallons of water lol.
Yeah, it’s not night and day. Still has a wood deck, steel axles, the wheels and tires are the same, etc. Regardless, it’s a nice trailer, and I do think you get more features for slightly less weight.

I’ve looked into this pretty extensively because I’m over the tow rating of my truck, every time I pull my Jeep. Been trying to figure out a better way to lug the Jeep around.

I like Fred Williams trailer. Basically a tongue and axle, with a couple channels for the tires. It’s slick.

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/b...his-cool-single-axle-dual-wheel-jeep-trailer/