Basket's Build

IiRC the problem you were running into with the trailer was something along these lines.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adap...gKrO73-ubk8KF0ftVl91wwvdG9DMAt5gaAndIEALw_wcB

Specs:

• Application: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" trailer hitch receivers
  • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
  • Extension length:
    • 24" From center of hitch pin hole furthest from edge to center of hitch pin hole
    • 34" From center of hitch pin hole closest to edge to center of hitch pin hole
  • Weight capacity when used with 24" length:
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 6,000 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 8,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 600 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 800 lbs
  • Weight capacity when used with 34" length:
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 4,500 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 6,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 450 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 600 lbs

Reactions: Wildman and lBasket
Yeah, it’s not night and day. Still has a wood deck, steel axles, the wheels and tires are the same, etc. Regardless, it’s a nice trailer, and I do think you get more features for slightly less weight.

I’ve looked into this pretty extensively because I’m over the tow rating of my truck, every time I pull my Jeep. Been trying to figure out a better way to lug the Jeep around.
How much over? Dang if we were just doing that in the forum I definitely should've gotten the trailer!

I like Fred Williams trailer. Basically a tongue and axle, with a couple channels for the tires. It’s slick.

https://bangshift.com/bangshiftxl/b...his-cool-single-axle-dual-wheel-jeep-trailer/

That is really cool. Too bad he doesn't mention weight! It's a really purpose-built thing though. Ideally I'd like to put my MR2 on whatever trailer I end up getting too so that probably wouldn't work for me. But definitely cool! Any reason you can't do something similar with a normal trailer and just remove the decking in the center and only leave what you need for your tires?

IiRC the problem you were running into with the trailer was something along these lines.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adap...gKrO73-ubk8KF0ftVl91wwvdG9DMAt5gaAndIEALw_wcB

Specs:

• Application: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" trailer hitch receivers
  • Receiver opening: 2" x 2"
  • Extension length:
    • 24" From center of hitch pin hole furthest from edge to center of hitch pin hole
    • 34" From center of hitch pin hole closest to edge to center of hitch pin hole
  • Weight capacity when used with 24" length:
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 6,000 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 8,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 600 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 800 lbs
  • Weight capacity when used with 34" length:
    • Maximum gross trailer weight: 4,500 lbs
      • Maximum GTW when used with weight distribution: 6,000 lbs
    • Maximum tongue weight: 450 lbs
      • Maximum TW when used with weight distribution: 600 lbs

Yeahh it was really the extension that brought the weight really close. Without that there would have been plenty of room.

Looking at that though, with a weight distribution hitch having 6k lbs and 600 tongue weight, I probably would have been okay.

The RAWR looks to be 6084 for my truck based on some quick googling. Not entirely sure what the truck weighs but that'd be 1440 camper + 600 (likely an overestimate) tongue + idk 400 in junk in the camper. Dog and I are close to 250. No clue what the truck itself puts on the axle but that adds up to 2690. So unless the truck itself puts over 3394lbs on the real axle empty, I probably would've been okay?

Damn. Should've got the trailer :LOL: . Unless I'm doing this wrong.

Reactions: Wildman
How much over? Dang if we were just doing that in the forum I definitely should've gotten the trailer!

That is really cool. Too bad he doesn't mention weight! It's a really purpose-built thing though. Ideally I'd like to put my MR2 on whatever trailer I end up getting too so that probably wouldn't work for me. But definitely cool! Any reason you can't do something similar with a normal trailer and just remove the decking in the center and only leave what you need for your tires?

About 500 lbs. here is my reasoning though. I have a Colorado ZR2, and the tow rating is 5k. A “normal” Colorado with the same engine, transmission, and rear axle is 7200. For some reason, they derated the version of the truck I have, and the research I did says it was because of reduced cooling capacity. Something about a smaller radiator for increased departure angle.

So, I run it. I have never had an issue with heat, my trans temp has never gone over 160 and I’ve never seen the water temp move.

I generally drive 65-70 when towing and the truck actually pulls the load pretty well. Caveat…I live in the flat Midwest. I’ve been to Kentucky (red River gorge area) with the setup, but never the Rockies. I don’t know how it would do climbing eisenhower or something like that.

About 500 lbs. here is my reasoning though. I have a Colorado ZR2, and the tow rating is 5k. A “normal” Colorado with the same engine, transmission, and rear axle is 7200. For some reason, they derated the version of the truck I have, and the research I did says it was because of reduced cooling capacity. Something about a smaller radiator for increased departure angle.

So, I run it. I have never had an issue with heat, my trans temp has never gone over 160 and I’ve never seen the water temp move.

I generally drive 65-70 when towing and the truck actually pulls the load pretty well. Caveat…I live in the flat Midwest. I’ve been to Kentucky (red River gorge area) with the setup, but never the Rockies. I don’t know how it would do climbing eisenhower or something like that.

Interesting! Logic makes sense, and that's always something you can put in down the line of you end up having cooling issues. When I was looking for my ratings a couple guys mentioned the rear axle or frame isn't likely to be the "limiting factor" in what helps GM guesstimate limits... So that does kinda go in line with that.

I'm sure you see a bunch of people way further over the limit fairly regularly anyways. This has definitely taught me that it's pretty quick to get up to the limit

Reactions: reddvltj and Mike_H
Interesting! Logic makes sense, and that's always something you can put in down the line of you end up having cooling issues. When I was looking for my ratings a couple guys mentioned the rear axle or frame isn't likely to be the "limiting factor" in what helps GM guesstimate limits... So that does kinda go in line with that.

I'm sure you see a bunch of people way further over the limit fairly regularly anyways. This has definitely taught me that it's pretty quick to get up to the limit

Happens quicker than you think. I haven’t even looked at my axle or payload limits….

Ignorance is bliss, lol

Happens quicker than you think. I haven’t even looked at my axle or payload limits….

Ignorance is bliss, lol

I am kinda careless more often than I should be so I try to make a conscious effort into not doing something too stupid in situations like this lol.

Is there anything insurance related id need to do related to towing you think?

I am kinda careless more often than I should be so I try to make a conscious effort into not doing something too stupid in situations like this lol.

Is there anything insurance related id need to do related to towing you think?

Talk to your insurance agent about coverages on both towed vehicle and tow vehicle while towing. Most always assume that both towed and tow vehicle are covered under the tow vehicles policy while towing. While this is true for the liability portion of your coverage, comprehensive and collision are generally not.

I found that out the hard way. I was towing my enclosed utility trailer with my side by side inside it and got peppered by a truck hauling rock. The damage to my truck was covered because I had comprehensive on the truck, but it didn't cover the trailer because I didn't have comp on it.

Talk to your insurance agent about coverages on both towed vehicle and tow vehicle while towing. Most always assume that both towed and tow vehicle are covered under the tow vehicles policy while towing. While this is true for the liability portion of your coverage, comprehensive and collision are generally not.

I found that out the hard way. I was towing my enclosed utility trailer with my side by side inside it and got peppered by a truck hauling rock. The damage to my truck was covered because I had comprehensive on the truck, but it didn't cover the trailer because I didn't have comp on it.

Awesome, great info. Thanks I'll get in touch with my agent before I start pulling it anywhere

Awesome, great info. Thanks I'll get in touch with my agent before I start pulling it anywhere

Keep in mind if you are found to be overweight that your coverage is likely to evaporate and leave you open to litigation from the other party(even if they were otherwise at fault) as well as paying for your own repairs

Keep in mind if you are found to be overweight that your coverage is likely to evaporate and leave you open to litigation from the other party(even if they were otherwise at fault) as well as paying for your own repairs

This is VERY much a true statement. Know someone who lost everything due to an accident that wasn't their fault.

Good thing I'm worrying about that now rather than when I get hit, then!

Picked up a trailer today from my friend, someone dumped it as scrap at his scrap company. It's 14' (I think), tandem axle with brakes, 200$ and I bought him lunch. Needs some work - likely needs to be rewired, needs 1 wheel and 2 tires, ramps, and not sure if the brakes will work once wired. But its sturdy and has a good deck and will be good enough for the jeep and mr2.

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow, it's parked somewhere too dark for the camera right now.

Picked up a trailer today from my friend, someone dumped it as scrap at his scrap company. It's 14' (I think), tandem axle with brakes, 200$ and I bought him lunch. Needs some work - likely needs to be rewired, needs 1 wheel and 2 tires, ramps, and not sure if the brakes will work once wired. But its sturdy and has a good deck and will be good enough for the jeep and mr2.

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow, it's parked somewhere too dark for the camera right now.

A trailer is like a boat... Just keep throwing money at it...

But congrats..

Now you can sell all the flat tow stuff and buy straps.

Nice! You'll probably sink as much money into getting it road worthy as buying new, but it will be a fun project!

Reactions: Wildman