Bastard locker

IBEW66

Supporting Member
I am having a run of bad luck with my front locker install. Im building my Dana 30. I trussed and sleeved it and welded gussets on the c’s. I purchased a 30 spline Eaton elocker 4 for my Dana 30 from Quadratec. The first one they sent was a 27 spline locker. They corrected the issue by sending a 30 spline locker. I grabbed my driver side 30 spline shaft and verified the fit. I dropped my Dana 30 off at my local trans. Shop and had the locker installed. I picked my axle up and brought it home. The drive side 30 spline shaft installed no problem. The passenger shaft would not spline up. Long story short, I removed the carrier and discovered the drive side of the carrier was 30 spline and passenger side was 27 spline. WTF MAN! This has cost me a month on my build, 2 sets of bearings, $30 in dif oil and my sanity. I had to cancel my birthday rock crawling trip. Has anybody ever heard of this happening before? I will be contacting Quadratec bright and early come Monday. They better make this right!

It may be a while to get a replacement through Q-tec due to backorders. You should also contact Customer Service at Eaton. They took care of the bent tabs on my E-lockers right away.

The reason I checked them prior to install is because of a post on this site. Install is still not done due to other parts being late. Shit! Now you're telling me I have to go check my Dana 30 30 spline E-locker to see if the splines are mismatched. Uuggghh! I will have to check it tomorrow.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
It may be a while to get a replacement through Q-tec due to backorders. You should also contact Customer Service at Eaton. They took care of the bent tabs on my E-lockers right away.

The reason I checked them prior to install is because of a post on this site. Install is still not done due to other parts being late. Shit! Now you're telling me I have to go check my Dana 30 30 spline E-locker to see if the splines are mismatched. Uuggghh! I will have to check it tomorrow.
I would most definitely check fitment before installing or having them installed. This is a huge lesson learned for me. I’m sure the issue I’m having with this latest locker is rare. It must have been assembled at quitting time on Friday. They are in stock the moment. I will contact Eaton also to let them know of the issue.

The odds of two mistakes like that happening are miniscule. If the locker is installed, who would have fetched up a 27 spline for the odd side without telling you?

I would most definitely check fitment before installing or having them installed. This is a huge lesson learned for me. I’m sure the issue I’m having with this latest locker is rare. It must have been assembled at quitting time on Friday. They are in stock the moment. I will contact Eaton also to let them know of the issue.
Rare is an understatement.

When I pre-checkEd the fitment before installation, I only checked one side. It never occurred to me that there could be mismatching spline sizes on one locker.

When I pre-checkEd the fitment before installation, I only checked one side. It never occurred to me that there could be mismatching spline sizes on one locker.
I wouldn't have checked both either. No reason to. I would have checked both axles in one side to make sure the splines are clean if I was going to check anything.

The odds of two mistakes like that happening are miniscule. If the locker is installed, who would have fetched up a 27 spline for the odd side without telling you?
The 27 spline locker arriving first was an error on Quadratec’s part. I assume the 30 spline locker that arrived to replace the 27 spline locker was defective from the manufacturer(Eaton). I only checked one side before sending off to be installed.

The 27 spline locker arriving first was an error on Quadratec’s part. I assume the 30 spline locker that arrived to replace the 27 spline locker was defective from the manufacturer(Eaton). I only checked one side before sending off to be installed.
I understood that the first time. I was asking him who put the 27 in without talking to him first.

When I removed the carrier, I grabbed a sharpie and a flash light and counted splines on both sides no less then 3 times each. Even though Ray Charles could have seen the difference in inside diameter and the size and shape of the individual splines.

Eaton E-Locker Dana 30, 30 spline. Here we go again....

20210926_142105a.jpg

First side good! 30 spline axle fits well.

20210926_142442.jpg

Second side...Like I said in my previous post, Shit!

20210926_142220.jpg

Count 'em up. 27.

@IBEW66 Thank you so much for posting. I now have some before the Suspension gets here to work this. Really appreciate it.

• Wow
Reactions: JMT
Well there we go! There’s a bad batch out there. Sorry your having go through this also. Eaton has some explaining to do. Good luck J.

Reactions: Zorba
Did you order through Quadratec also?
Other than how fast it may be taken care of, Q-tec has nothing to do with it. That's a 100% Eaton issue. They get parts in, put them on the shelf (generally) and send when you buy. It could be a locker or a dash cover.

Reactions: Zorba
Other than how fast it may be taken care of, Q-tec has nothing to do with it. That's a 100% Eaton issue. They get parts in, put them on the shelf (generally) and send when you buy. It could be a locker or a dash cover.
I get that! Just curious if it could be isolated to a batch Quadratec received from Eaton. There’s no telling how many lockers got assembled incorrectly. If the ones they still have in stock are fucked, Quadratec sending a new one will help neither of us.

I get that! Just curious if it could be isolated to a batch Quadratec received from Eaton. There’s no telling how many lockers got assembled incorrectly. If the ones they still have in stock are fucked, Quadratec sending a new one will help neither of us.
They only way for them to know is to open the box and check. Since there are two, that could be two or two thousand. Eaton has a giant problem on their hands now.

Reactions: Hopper