BDS Suspension?

Cal

TJ Enthusiast
I’m looking at the BDS 2in suspension or their 3in. Any pros or cons when it comes to either suspension? And I’ve also looked at the Rubicon Express coil spacer lift.....I know I know...I’m all over the place.

I have a 3” BDS lift with 3” coils front and rear. Had to add a 3/4 spacer up front. I was advised to do 3 in the front and 2 in the rear. I should have listened. I also have RS5000x all around and a 5/8 TC drop. Did it all my self and it wasn’t too hard or expensive. Took it to Moab and a bunch of other local UT trails, I’ve had 4 Jeeps and this set up on 31s is honestly the best set up I’ve had although I could easily clear 33s, so what I’m saying is that the springs sit high in the rear.
19bd6e3b51443aa4367cb4396805e538.jpg
dd4e650d8f2441406649091fa149f231.jpg
b33ee019fb426788a23eea96fd7eb853.jpg

Hopefully this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bigboye1
I have a 3” BDS lift with 3” coils front and rear. Had to add a 3/4 spacer up front. I was advised to do 3 in the front and 2 in the rear. I should have listened. I also have RS5000x all around and a 5/8 TC drop. Did it all my self and it wasn’t too hard or expensive. Took it to Moab and a bunch of other local UT trails, I’ve had 4 Jeeps and this set up on 31s is honestly the best set up I’ve had although I could easily clear 33s, so what I’m saying is that the springs sit high in the rear. View attachment 46486View attachment 46487View attachment 46488
Hopefully this helps

Thanks for the info! About how much did the 3” cost? I found the basic 3” lift for around 750.

I've got the 2" kit from BDS. I've been very happy with it, and likely due to some sag in the stock springs, it netted at least 2.5" but more like 2.75". I also added 3/4" spacers to the front thinking I could take them out if needed. I haven't needed to, and it sits level which I prefer. Installed in April this year and no settling (yet). Cost was about $420 from Northridge, shipped free.

I don't have a ton of money to throw at this Jeep so I liked the price and reputation with BDS. Easy install with a helper. Good luck!

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

I run their 2" coils with a .75" spacer in front which leaves about 1/2" rear rake. You do not need new control arms with 2-3" lift but, don't let that stop you if you want something adjustable, with Johnny Joints, etc.
To complete my lift: Rancho 5000X shocks (55239, 55241), JKS track bar, rear track bar relocation bracket, 2" bump stop extensions front and rear, although the rear only needed 1.5" I passed on cutting them due to laziness :D

I got my 2" coils from Fat Bobs Garage, 225 shipped for all 4. Shocks were from Amazon, 200 for all 4.

ETA: Just looked at FBG, 108 for 2" rears, 112 for 3" fronts.

Reactions: 2006TJ1 and Cal
I've talked to a few other and am about to pull the trigger on BDS 3" front and 2" rear springs. as many on the forum will tell you, the springs don't matter near as much as the shocks do for ride quality- so if you go with rancho you'll be set.

do you know what BDS stands for? I learned from @Jerry Bransford

I've got the 2" kit from BDS. I've been very happy with it, and likely due to some sag in the stock springs, it netted at least 2.5" but more like 2.75". I also added 3/4" spacers to the front thinking I could take them out if needed. I haven't needed to, and it sits level which I prefer. Installed in April this year and no settling (yet). Cost was about $420 from Northridge, shipped free.

I don't have a ton of money to throw at this Jeep so I liked the price and reputation with BDS. Easy install with a helper. Good luck!

View attachment 46502

View attachment 46503
And are you just runnin 31s. I eventually want to run a 4in lift and 33s but I have bought this Sahara and it already has 31 BFG KOs with about half tread life and I just want to give a little space for them or the next set of 31s I get.

I got my 2" coils from Fat Bobs Garage, 225 shipped for all 4. Shocks were from Amazon, 200 for all 4.

When going with a 3” lift what all do I need to complete the lift? I know with a 2” ya just need the coils and shocks but I figured with the 3” it’s a bit more involved. The Jeep will be on the road about 80-85% of the time with light wheeling or trails riding for fun and the taking it hunting during the fall/winter.

Reactions: 2006TJ1
When going with a 3” lift what all do I need to complete the lift? I know with a 2” ya just need the coils and shocks but I figured with the 3” it’s a bit more involved. The Jeep will be on the road about 80-85% of the time with light wheeling or trails riding for fun and the taking it hunting during the fall/winter.
3" is about the limit for stock arms so you should be good there. Shocks obviously, track bar in front, relocation bracket in rear, extended bumpstops. Mine is close to 3" in front and 2.25" in rear and that is how mine is set up. I also have a motor mount lift to alleviate (most) of drive line vibrations.

Reactions: 2006TJ1
And are you just runnin 31s. I eventually want to run a 4in lift and 33s but I have bought this Sahara and it already has 31 BFG KOs with about half tread life and I just want to give a little space for them or the next set of 31s I get.
If you go with the 3 in front/2in rear, you can pair it with a 1-1.25" body lift and be set up perfectly for 33s at a much lower cost than a full 4" lift kit will be. it ultimately depends on what your plans are

if you are going to do a tummy tuck & need an sye and adj control arms, doing the full 4" kit + sye makes sense. if not, or you aren't sure, the 2.5" suspension + 1.25" body lift will be just fine & work great for many if us here

Reactions: Cal
If you go with the 3 in front/2in rear, you can pair it with a 1-1.25" body lift and be set up perfectly for 33s at a much lower cost than a full 4" lift kit will be. it ultimately depends on what your plans are

if you are going to do a tummy tuck & need an sye and adj control arms, doing the full 4" kit + sye makes sense. if not, or you aren't sure, the 2.5" suspension + 1.25" body lift will be just fine & work great for many if us here
That’s great advice. I read about guys going with the OME 2.5” suspension lift and the 1.25” body lift but the OME is just crazy expensive compared to the BDS.

That’s great advice. I read about guys going with the OME 2.5” suspension lift and the 1.25” body lift but the OME is just crazy expensive compared to the BDS.
agreed. when I order my new springs, I'm going BDS. I actually started a whole thread about this. I'll find it and link it when I can!

Reactions: Cal

That’s more accurate. I was going off of memory which is a bad idea

I went through the same thing recently! I was between OME and BDS and I ultimately called both companies and the tech guys from BDS were very down to earth and really knew what they were talking about. They shared the Pros/Cons between the two and after a few days I went with BDS 2” Kit. I am very happy with the setup. I do light off roading and it’s mostly a daily driver. Here are before and after with 31” tires.

498F22A9-042B-4F97-9713-81B07C03149D.png

866D1239-099C-48FE-B0E1-5C563FF554E8.png