Beadlocks are a PITA

Seemed also like depending on the lip of your wheel that it could possibly bend the lip if you got trigger happy with your drill or impact wrench. Do you think that would be a concern?

I noticed some reviews saying that the tool breaks. I wonder if that's what happened?

So, just a Canada thing and not a US thing then? And only applicable to bead locks by the most broad of definitions even though anyone with a smidgen of common send understands that one retain the tire and rim assemble and the other only retains the tire.

Mostly true but along with that, they do nothing to detract from or hamper performance.

To the contrary, I only ever went to bead locks to keep the tire from spinning on the rims so I had to drive home on unbalanced tires after wheeling all day.

I understand it very well but again, you are speaking from a particular disadvantage since you have no experience with them. If you compare a 15" Weld Forged Bead Lock to a normal cast aluminum rim, it gets pretty easy to see that they can reduce unsprung weight.

I'm arguing because you are full of shit on this subject, that is what constitutes an argument with you?

Sorry, but just because you are a TJ guru doesn't give you the right to call someone full of shit just because you disagree with what he said.

DOT regulations in Canada differ province to province, I can assure you that beadlock wheels are indeed illegal for road use here in Nova Scotia, but we do have a lot of very restrictive regs here. I personally think it is stupid myself.

And I would not call him full of shit, just sensible, if you drive on the road there is no need to have beadlocks but to each their own, spinning of the tire on the rim is not an issue for 99% of the people out there. unless you are running 700 plus horsepower with slicks the chance of spinning the tire one the rim would only occur when you air down off road which makes your point moot as that is where beadlocks shine and make sense. Also does not make sense when I see soccer moms drive f250 super duites either, but hey, whatever.

Can you show me any "average" jeep with 35psi in the tire that can spin the tire on the rim?

Sorry, but just because you are a TJ guru doesn't give you the right to call someone full of shit just because you disagree with what he said.

I said he was full of shit about a particular subject due to the fact that he called me argumentative just because I kept asking him to answer the questions upon which he based his response which was just that, bullshit. No, they are not the same as nitro in a street racer.

DOT regulations in Canada differ province to province, I can assure you that beadlock wheels are indeed illegal for road use here in Nova Scotia, but we do have a lot of very restrictive regs here. I personally think it is stupid myself.

I do not purport to know the particular nuances of Canadian law and had he only used province in describing their illegality, I would have left it alone but once he added state to state tossing the discussion into the US arena, that's a whole different ballgame and thus needed clarification.

And I would not call him full of shit, just sensible, if you drive on the road there is no need to have beadlocks but to each their own, spinning of the tire on the rim is not an issue for 99% of the people out there. unless you are running 700 plus horsepower with slicks the chance of spinning the tire one the rim would only occur when you air down off road which makes your point moot as that is where beadlocks shine and make sense. Also does not make sense when I see soccer moms drive f250 super duites either, but hey, whatever.

Can you show me any "average" jeep with 35psi in the tire that can spin the tire on the rim?

The only way my point is moot is if we never go offroad and drive on streets and highways to get there.

I will assume now, tomorrow, very likely the next day, and for many after that if a discussion is on here, it will be relative to what we do with our rigs. We use them offroad, we use them on the highway, and sometimes even over rocks and shit. I will never assume that there is a street only context under which we drive non Jeep vehicles when it comes to discussions of technique, product, mods, or anything else common to what we do.

And now we get to delve into your "sensible" commentary. How many sets of bead locks have you run and owned on a Jeep TJ? Or is this just another "talking out your ass" about shit you have exactly zero experience with?

Reactions: Rick Flair
lol, none, but you missed my point. His argument is that bead locks were senseless on the road, not senseless on the road on the way to the trail, in that case they would make sense. I'll even agree with your point that they are not a determent on the road, but I think his point was they were overkill if you drive a mall crawler, and I tend to agree. I have yet to ever see a civic with a 10000 pound winch on the front :)

Your argument of "if you never had any then shut up" is ill placed, I never drank a bottle of arsenic before but I can tell you that you shouldn't. Theory is the beginning of everything.

I don't really have an issue with anything you said, just the way you said it, very disrespectful to call someone full of shit just because of a single comment that is simply an opinion.

Cheers,

I Think Blaine would be a cool guy to hang out with but he can be abrasive. Lol

Speaking of Beadlocks.....check out these 40's this young girl had mounted and the necessary mods to roll them.
20180510_113150.jpg

Reactions: Rick Flair
lol, none, but you missed my point. His argument is that bead locks were senseless on the road, not senseless on the road on the way to the trail, in that case they would make sense. I'll even agree with your point that they are not a determent on the road, but I think his point was they were overkill if you drive a mall crawler, and I tend to agree. I have yet to ever see a civic with a 10000 pound winch on the front :)

And yet again, we are not on a Civic forum and the statement was not qualified. Until this, everything I said stands.

Your argument of "if you never had any then shut up" is ill placed, I never drank a bottle of arsenic before but I can tell you that you shouldn't. Theory is the beginning of everything.

I don't really have an issue with anything you said, just the way you said it, very disrespectful to call someone full of shit just because of a single comment that is simply an opinion.

Cheers,

As well I've never eaten a cat shit sandwich to know I don't need to but that isn't in context and wholly irrelevant to this particular discussion. The problem with making bullshit blanket statements like he did is someone who doesn't know better may actually believe there is something wrong with them if you have to drive on the street to the trail and that simply isn't true.

Neither of us need experience with cat shit sandwiches or arsenic to know they are bad. We may need some experience with bead locks and running them before we wholly dismiss them as more troublesome than they are worth. Had he said, "in my opinion based on where I live, the restrictions thereof and what I've read although I have no experience, I won't and can't run them." Had he not been evasive when I asked about his experience and just said I don't have any, this goes an entirely different direction and I don't even bother to reply.

Yeah Bird, I lost respect on him when he came in too aggressive about guns at one time, I don't give a shit about what he knows about cars.

Yeah Bird, I lost respect on him when he came in too aggressive about guns at one time, I don't give a shit about what he knows about cars.
Your not helping the matter haha. Here we go...

FYI, I’m carrying a gun right now, with a spare magazine on the other side, reading about TJ’s on a TJ forum.

@mrblaine the BeadBuster did the job in under 5 minutes. I'll be getting a quote for bedliner next week. I want it professionally done since I'm too afraid I'll mess up doing it myself. I hear LineX does colors too. The jack will really look good on the hood.

Notes on the BeadBuster:
1) If you go too tight with the clamp it scratches the rim a little.
2) If you go too loose with the clamp it presses too far in on the tire.
3) Don't go all the way down with the foot at the start. Work around the tire once before pushing down that far.
4) Get the larger XB-550 model.
5) Use lots of soapy water.
6) Wait until your tire spoons arrive before even trying to get the tire off the rim.

I run a set of first generation stauns, I will prefice this by saying I've been told some of the design elements have changed with the new versions to fix some of my issues.

Problem 1: they are a giant pain in the ass to install. I had to mill out the inside of the rim where the valve stem goes so the staun ones would sit flat. (this will very from rim to rim I'm sure) but even without that a $100 bucks each in labor is a deal. Die grinding the tires takes time, prepping the rim takes time, drilling the second hole takes time, then mount one bead, then mount one side of the carcas, then the inner tube (make sure its not twisted) the. The other side of the carcas, then make sure the air channel is lined up, then make sure it's all seated perfectly, then mount the second bead. Yah it takes way longer than even that makes it sound.

Problem 2: the inner tubes leak as they get older.

Problem 3: airing up and down is a PITA. Over time the carcas and attached air channel seems to move around a bit and no longer line up with the valve. This means to air down I have to drop the staun pressure, then air down the tire, then fill the staun back up. It gets old, only 1 of 4 still work right. (this has been fixed I've been told)

Problem 4: crap still gets in the beads and causes them to leak all the time. This is an issue for singe bead locks but not double as I understand it. (I have never owned conventional beadlocks and so can only speak from the experience of people I wheel with who do)

However they do the job, I regularly run down as low as 4psi and have no issues on the trail with them... But I probably wouldn't buy them again.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

@mrblaine the BeadBuster did the job in under 5 minutes. I'll be getting a quote for bedliner next week. I want it professionally done since I'm too afraid I'll mess up doing it myself. I hear LineX does colors too. The jack will really look good on the hood.

Notes on the BeadBuster:
1) If you go too tight with the clamp it scratches the rim a little.
2) If you go too loose with the clamp it presses too far in on the tire.
3) Don't go all the way down with the foot at the start. Work around the tire once before pushing down that far.
4) Get the larger XB-550 model.
5) Use lots of soapy water.
6) Wait until your tire spoons arrive before even trying to get the tire off the rim.
I just ordered this tool, is there different size feet that come with it? Which one did you find worked?

I think there was just the one foot.
Did you do anything special to get it started on the edge of the tire? That bead is like super tight against the trail ready rim. I cant get a spoon started in there at all.