Bed liner on body?

weldedcambolt

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
has anybody put bed liner on the body of a jeep, for a long time an had it not rust underneath?

Not a jeep but I've applied several types of bedliner to a few vehicles/truckbeds and learned a few things.

First things first don't use spray can hardware store liner. It lacks the UV protection and the chemical composition to adhere and remain adhered permanently. Instead go for one of the 2 part epoxy based liners that are UV stable and will at least not chalk for a few years. Monstaliner and Raptor liner are products that I've used before and can vouch for as being color stable for at least two year. Both are 2 part mixes so you'll need good ventilation and a proper respirator. I suggest a compressor and a spray gun. I've tried rollers and there was no way to avoid the mess or the bits and pieces of the roller ending up in your paint once it get's tacky.

In regards to rust under the liner, the best surface to spray liner onto is scuffed paint. That means you don't want to remove the base coat, just use a scotchbrite red pad to take the shine out of the paint. If you go through to bare metal there are spray primers that can be used with either manufacturer to cover base metal and they'll still be porous after application and ready to line over.

Location of application is also very important. If you're thinking of undercoating using liner. DON'T! Liner and rubberized undercoating will crack and open up tiny channels in which moisture and road salt will collect and not dissipate. You'll basically be hiding the rust just long enough for it to blow through your sheet metal. Instead use a lanolin oil based covering that's "self healing" like fluid film. My Tacoma is swimming in the stuff. Can't be beat.

Lastly, because I've done an entire body before...I wouldn't again. Unless the body you have is clapped out and you're confident you're never going to get rid of the vehicle and just drive it into the ground...or you just don't see yourself ever selling the vehicle and don't care about it's value I would avoid a 2 part liner. Once it's on it's on and there are a lot of people out in the world that see it as a major turnoff. It's also not easy to keep clean and body seals don't ever sit right after the paint is dry because it's not a level surface. Aesthetically I like it and it definitely served the purpose of protecting a vehicle prone to rust from any more rust...but I won't do it again.

Reactions: weldedcambolt
The previous owner of my Rubicon applied bed liner across the front fender for aesthetics. No rust issues. I think it blends some of the lines better with the custom front bumper.

C5EF88B2-6003-4399-8FC5-9643CF44E733.jpeg
703D9DF3-3002-4131-9331-E6D3362B8A2C.jpeg

Reactions: weldedcambolt