Benefits of mounting the spare tire inside?

6cyl, winch, small bumpers, aluminum skids, no rear seat, small tool box behind the front seats, small cargo rack with blankets.
really good to know.. you give me an idea then if weight that far back ends up that important then.. Was beginning to think it might be part of reaching a 50/50 equation.. (if that is even good for offroading??) If it is... maybe something like an in bed tire carrier but tilt tire opposite direction of typical.... (up toward rear instead of up toward nose. ) Do not want cargo floor am building above rear tub up any higher than tub top.

appreciate the input.

really good to know.. you give me an idea then if weight that far back ends up that important then.. Was beginning to think it might be part of reaching a 50/50 equation.. (if that is even good for offroading??) If it is... maybe something like an in bed tire carrier but tilt tire opposite direction of typical.... (up toward rear instead of up toward nose. ) Do not want cargo floor am building above rear tub up any higher than tub top.

appreciate the input.
What really helps is concentrating weight between the axles. I noticed that after I got rid of the 150lb tire carrier that extended really far backwards. It would make the front get light during big climbs.

What really helps is concentrating weight between the axles. I noticed that after I got rid of the 150lb tire carrier that extended really far backwards. It would make the front get light during big climbs.
your back to having tire on tailgate right?

I am. And because of what that did, I am strongly entertaining the idea of putting the tire the rest of the way into the bed.
part of me wonders if little nose heavy is better for extremish off roading. There is a reason that some of the extreme explorers use a winch or similar to pull their front suspension down to shift weight forward when climbing steep grades. Not that Ill be doing any extreme

part of me wonders if little nose heavy is better for extremish off roading. There is a reason that some of the extreme explorers use a winch or similar to pull their front suspension down to shift weight forward when climbing steep grades. Not that Ill be doing any extreme
A lot of the guys who have suck down winches also have garbage long arm suspensions that make the front end lift off the ground. What they need is a suspension that doesn't do that.

Last edited:
I am. And because of what that did, I am strongly entertaining the idea of putting the tire the rest of the way into the bed.

What about the rear cargo area though? It's so limited as is in the TJ. I have a small toolbox with pared down emergency stuff (first aid kit, spare set of clothes, gloves, road flares, air compressor hose, TP, few very basic tools, basic recovery gear). The stuff I carry when I go hiking/camping is also really pared down after careful considerations all these years and I still find that it's kind of painful even with just 2 people.

I was just telling @Mike_H that the TJ6 idea seemed to be the best bang for the buck in terms of capability, more so than the LJ (in items of interior space usability). In that I can forsee putting the spare inside without losing precious cargo space.

Unless you plan to run a shelf on top of the spare ... Which had it's own drawbacks.

What about the rear cargo area though? It's so limited as is in the TJ. I have a small toolbox with pared down emergency stuff (first aid kit, spare set of clothes, gloves, road flares, air compressor hose, TP, few very basic tools, basic recovery gear). The stuff I carry when I go hiking/camping is also really pared down after careful considerations all these years and I still find that it's kind of painful even with just 2 people.

I was just telling @Mike_H that the TJ6 idea seemed to be the best bang for the buck in terms of capability, more so than the LJ (in items of interior space usability). In that I can forsee putting the spare inside without losing precious cargo space.

Unless you plan to run a shelf on top of the spare ... Which had it's own drawbacks.
Not sure what it would look like yet. The tire mount would at least be elevated, if not hinged. I think the tool box would go away and I would build a cargo area under the floor where the gas tank used to be. The existing shelf will be completely redesigned since I built it before I knew how to weld.

Reactions: psrivats
I’m split on the decision to put the tire in the tub, like 60/40….

3F980A69-CA68-4C6A-AFCB-F8B6A9707B6D.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Not sure what it would look like yet. The tire mount would at least be elevated, if not hinged. I think the tool box would go away and I would build a cargo area under the floor where the gas tank used to be. The existing shelf will be completely redesigned since I built it before I knew how to weld.

Looks like you are doing a Blaine style interior fuel cell? Cargo area under floor sounds very interesting. I'll wait for it in your build thread 🙂

Reactions: jjvw
heavy engine is already in front... driver is central... tire at rear behind axle might be what brings it back to 50/50... till you add bumper and winch in front.. then your back to nose heavy.... but in offroading... say little beyond mild offroading.. is nose heavy better? or 50/50 better?
Personally, I don’t want any weight back there. Run a spare delete and carry a few trail fix items.

Personally, I don’t want any weight back there. Run a spare delete and carry a few trail fix items.
I think I'm in this camp... Carry plugs and sidewall repair items, plus OBA, and leave the spare at camp. 100 pounds is a lot of weight to shed from a rig. It will actually be more than that, because without the spare, you can ditch the heavy stuff you need to carry a spare...

Reactions: psrivats and jjvw
I think I'm in this camp... Carry plugs and sidewall repair items, plus OBA, and leave the spare at camp. 100 pounds is a lot of weight to shed from a rig. It will actually be more than that, because without the spare, you can ditch the heavy stuff you need to carry a spare...
fits most wheelers scenarios.

my rig is in different category..... its a budget Adventure/BOV "tag along" that doubles as extra supplies hauler. Spare with TJ then is best. It is to be pulled by larger bov... aka.... if big one flops on its side I need it or the motorcycle to carry me on further or to go for help...... or for supply runs from base camp. Have a small 65lb folding trailer that TJ or motorcycle can pull as well. ALL of them are diesels

Last edited: