Bent Spark Plug

william_m_molnar

Currently dealing with an issue and just wanted insight before I pull the head off because motors obviously blown the fuck up so may 6th 2023 I was driving my Jeep straight piped it the day before while I waited for a new exhaust because a muffler exhaust leak was driving me nuts. On May 6th a loud knocking sound appeared now the Jeep always had a slight knock so my dunbass assumed the sawzall created an exhaust leak I said I’ll fix it later yeah then I was driving and it bogged down on May 7th shut off I threw it in 3rd because I was doing abojt 40mph dropped the clutch is started died again pulled the oil fill cap and it was Barely I mean barely smoking out of there right after. Now I finally getting around to fixing it pull the spark plug if cylinder 3 and the mother fucker is bent 😂😂 if anyone has an idea let me know please

71708217698__17137D96-2AFA-4927-B5B0-F85A3C4ED90B.jpeg

71708320638__50619E61-1EAA-4DFC-B5FE-A709EF0D2651.jpeg

71708217698__17137D96-2AFA-4927-B5B0-F85A3C4ED90B.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: hear
I suspect you'll get your answers after the head is pulled, could use a borescope to see the damage but either way break out the wrenches.

Reactions: tr21triton
Currently dealing with an issue and just wanted insight before I pull the head off because motors obviously blown the fuck up so may 6th 2023 I was driving my Jeep straight piped it the day before while I waited for a new exhaust because a muffler exhaust leak was driving me nuts. On May 6th a loud knocking sound appeared now the Jeep always had a slight knock so my dunbass assumed the sawzall created an exhaust leak I said I’ll fix it later yeah then I was driving and it bogged down on May 7th shut off I threw it in 3rd because I was doing abojt 40mph dropped the clutch is started died again pulled the oil fill cap and it was Barely I mean barely smoking out of there right after. Now I finally getting around to fixing it pull the spark plug if cylinder 3 and the mother fucker is bent 😂😂 if anyone has an idea let me know please
View attachment 463854

View attachment 463856

View attachment 463857

View attachment 463858

View attachment 463857

a CUMMINS shouldn't have spark plugs !!!

I wonder if the porcelain electrode just fell out of the plug then that rattled around the cylinder for a few stokes.

Optimism would hope it pulverized and got ejected from the cylinder. Scope for and left over bits, if clean pop a new plug in and see what happens

Pragmatism would agree with above and break out the wrenches.

View attachment 463854

View attachment 463856

View attachment 463857

View attachment 463858

View attachment 463857

Dropped valve ?

I wonder if the porcelain electrode just fell out of the plug then that rattled around the cylinder for a few stokes.

Optimism would hope it pulverized and got ejected from the cylinder. Scope for and left over bits, if clean pop a new plug in and see what happens

Pragmatism would agree with above and break out the wrenches.

Spark plug intact completely from what i see

Center electrode ceramic insulator is missing in the pics you posted...

If you don't have a borescope, I'd rent/borrow/buy one and look inside for debris. Compression test can also tell you condition...

Compression is E=non existent in that cylinder but I have it in a shop to get a built and sleeved 4.0 and a built head with bigger intake and exhaust valves built for a turbo