Best handheld GMRS radios?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Is there a consensus on the best GMRS handheld radios? Looking at Midland, Baofeng, and others.

Our new property in Wyoming is 19 acres and I am planning on using them to communicate with my wife, kids, and others while tending to the horses, livestock, and working in the shop. I may or may not need a repeater. Midlands seems to have a nice one here.

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Reactions: Rickyd
My baofeng was ok. Its small and light. However I had a hard time hearing anything on it.

Reactions: Chris
It depends on what "best" means to you, as usual. Here's my summary:
  1. Baofeng - cheap, programmable (but cumbersome), unlocked (but technically - and arguably - illegal because they don't meet FCC Part 95E rules), dirty transmissions in some radios (bleeding on other frequencies). I have two of these for SHTF because they can be programmed to transmit (illegally) on ham frequencies, and I don't have a ham license.
  2. Midland - expensive, not easily programmable (many are simply not programmable at all), locked (GMRS transmit only). I'm not a Midland fan because they are made for the most unsophisticated of users (i.e., "dumbed down")
  3. Wouxun - comparatively very expensive, easier to program (but still far from perfect), locked (GMRS transmit only). I have three different versions of these: KG-935G, KG-935G Plus, and KG-UV9GX. Each one has pluses and minuses. There are really only two places to buy the Wouxuns, and each dealer has unique models built to their own specs (also, there can be long backorders, especially from the first one below):
    1. www.bettersaferadio.com - for the KG-UV9GX and others
    2. www.buytwowayradios.com - for the KG-935G, KG-935G Plus, and others
Chris, I only know you from the forum, but I can tell you are similar to me. Be careful, GMRS can suck you in like cars, Jeeps, guns, etc. You've been warned!

Reactions: DavidBT
I run Wouxun 805G handhelds and have had good luck with them for years. Least expensive of the brand, simplest keypad by far (no extra shit like Baofeng) repeater "split tone" capable (unlike Midland). I've reached out 16 miles to home with mobile to 805G at home. Buytwowayradios has always given me great customer service.

Reactions: sab
Like @sab said, Midlands are dumbed down, which IMO is a good option to hand to a wife or kids that aren't going to become gmrs enthusiasts and just need to be able to push a button.

I have a couple of baofengs that I haven't even powered up yet but I'll save those for myself, and maybe upgrade to something technically nicer someday.

I have a hard time thinking you'd need a repeater on 19 acres unless you bought one of those squirrelly mining claims thats 100 feet wide by a mile and a half and wraps around the side of a mountain.

Reactions: BlueC
I would doubt you need a repeater for the distance you're talking. Set up a good antenna on your house and run it to a decent base station, not another handheld (just keep a number of handhelds around so anyone can grab one and go). If your house is in the middle of the property on a large hill, then maybe a repeater would make sense if someone is on either end.

Unless the wind is a problem near you, I wouldn't be too concerned about the Baofeng volume (and my guess is anything newer than many of our UV-5Rs are much better).

Reactions: NOTNSUV
Love my 5 and 8 watt Baofeng UV5R's. With a 15" Nagoya whip antenna the range is pretty impressive for a cheap hand held.

I have the Midland 275 in my jeep, and 2 baufengs two hand out to others who are without radios. I have a Radioddity gm 30 in my truck just because it's cheap and easy. Like someone else mentioned, gmrs and radios in general can be a deep rabbit hole. 🤣

Love my 5 and 8 watt Baofeng UV5R's. With a 15" Nagoya whip antenna the range is pretty impressive for a cheap hand held.
That Nagoya antenna is the key. It almost doubles the price of the radio, but the "dummy load" fake antenna that comes with the Baofengs isn't worth the powder to blow it to Hell.

I keep a pair of cheap FRS handhelds in the Jeep to be able to hand to spotters or someone in the next Jeep in the line - they may or may not be able to provide reliable comms on a 19 acre spread - but the Baofengs will unless there's a huge hill in the middle of it.

My primary handheld is a Tidradio H8. I absolutely love it. Nicer than all of the Baofeng units I've used. Around $60 for the kit I got on Amazon with 1 battery, a charger, & 2 antennas. The radio can also be charged via USB-C. A couple of friends got them after seeing mine and we've had great performance out of them.

I have some cheap midlands to hand to others, as well as some expensive commercial radios (Kenwoods) that I programmed to GMRS, but I always reach for the H8 first. About to buy another one to leave in my fiancée's Jeep.

Edit: for a cheaper option, they just came out with the H3. Slightly less features and at half the price and a smaller size.

Reactions: Zorba
I have been using the Baofeng uv-82 for several years . Any of the programmable Chinese radios will be a little harder or different to operate than the strictly GMRS radios . But they also have more capabilities that could come in handy . Mine are programmed for Ham , Fire Department , GMRS , FRS and I can easily program the maritime frequencies when I want to monitor boating traffic such as river boats .
The Baofeng's are easy to use and program with a little practice .
On 19 acres you shouldn't have any problem with coverage . We use ours on 40 acres with no problem . I have four handhelds and loan them out while jeeping . I use a mobile in the Jeep and have talked to my portables over a mile away with clear communications . I've used the uv-82 to get into repeaters well over 20 miles away , sometimes further depending on the terrain .
The uv-82 is inexpensive and durable . I chose it because it is a little bigger and fits my hand better , more like some of the Motorola radios I've used on the job . I've used my uv-82 at work and it seemed to be just as clear as the Motorola , just several hundred dollars cheaper .
They do have a new larger 10 watt uv-25 portable radio which has even more power and features . I'm not sure I would want a 10 watt portable next to my head transmitting . 5 watts is relatively safe exposure , when you start adding power , you need a remote mounted antenna to get the rf away from your head .

Reactions: Zorba
Add one more to the Baofeng fan list. This combo has worked really well for me in the back county and i suspect would do great for what you're looking for. As others have pointed out, the antenna is key.

Screenshot_20240419_062921_Chrome.jpg

1000006321.jpg

Grab a pair of the Midland GXT1000VP4 handheld GMRS radios. Sounds like they would be all you’ll need. Simple and work very well…

I have them, that I pair with the Midland 275 mounted in my Jeep. Money well spent…