Best option for switched power in the engine bay?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Installing an SPod style switch bank. Need to pick up switched power. I could run it into the cabin and pickup something under the dash but it would be cleaner if I grabbed a source in the engine bay.

I am Electrically Challenged so details would be appreciated.

Installing an SPod style switch bank. Need to pick up switched power. I could run it into the cabin and pickup something under the dash but it would be cleaner if I grabbed a source in the engine bay.

I am Electrically Challenged so details would be appreciated.
Are you using that to turn on a master relay to power up the SPod or supply power to all the circuits that the SPod switches on and off via the relays?

Are you using that to turn on a master relay to power up the SPod or supply power to all the circuits that the SPod switches on and off via the relays?
More or less above the above lines, do you really need an additional source of switched power to control a source of switched power?
12v from the battery feeds the block and is distributed as needed through the relays.

The switched 12v is so the unit powers down when ignition is killed.

Do I need it? The manufacturer included it and I want to use it. OBA. aux lights and others will be killed unless the key is in the On or Run position and that's how I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QP5TQDK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have the switch panel mounted on the passenger air bag switch panel (which I don't need or use) and it's pretty much perfect spot.

12v from the battery feeds the block and is distributed as needed through the relays.

The switched 12v is so the unit powers down when ignition is killed.

Do I need it? The manufacturer included it and I want to use it. OBA. aux lights and others will be killed unless the key is in the On or Run position and that's how I want it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QP5TQDK/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have the switch panel mounted on the passenger air bag switch panel (which I don't need or use) and it's pretty much perfect spot.
I don't see a fuse on the main power from bat to relay box. It needs one. The red wire that powers on the box for ignition protection is easiest to hook up for us using the instrument cluster power fuse and a fuse tap. That is in the fuse panel behind the glove box. We drill a small hole above the HVAC box behind the fuse box and run the wire in or out there. All the rest of the ignition controlled circuits are harder to tap into and I don't like t-taps into the OEM wires.

Also guessing the main relay also powers on a device since it is listed as a 6 relay output and there are only 6 relays. Not sure how they are doing that.

I don't see a fuse on the main power from bat to relay box. It needs one. The red wire that powers on the box for ignition protection is easiest to hook up for us using the instrument cluster power fuse and a fuse tap. That is in the fuse panel behind the glove box. We drill a small hole above the HVAC box behind the fuse box and run the wire in or out there. All the rest of the ignition controlled circuits are harder to tap into and I don't like t-taps into the OEM wires.

Also guessing the main relay also powers on a device since it is listed as a 6 relay output and there are only 6 relays. Not sure how they are doing that.
Thank you for helping.

LOL.. If YOU aren't sure, then for certain, I don't know. Curious why one of the six relays are different than the other five...

I can add a fuse to the main power line. Thoughts on size?

How do you get behind the fuse box to draw the wires through? And, do you use a grommet to prevent water infiltrating?

Thank you for helping.

LOL.. If YOU aren't sure, then for certain, I don't know. Curious why one of the six relays are different than the other five...

I can add a fuse to the main power line. Thoughts on size?

How do you get behind the fuse box to draw the wires through? And, do you use a grommet to prevent water infiltrating?
Pull the two screws in the fuse block and push it to the side. Look in there with a flashlight and identify the dimples in the firewall so you don't drill into the air box. Drill from outside, shove a straight wire like welding rod or straightened out coat hanger through, tape electrical wire to that and pull it through the grommet.

Fuse should be as large as all the current used if you have everything on at once. Or by wire size. I don't know what you have or how much current it is supposed to handle.

The larger relay has something to do with switching the main power feed to the other 5 but then it would have to also supply power to one of the outputs to be a 6 switch system.

The reason for the different relay is that one circuit is rated for 30a and the other 5 are only 20a. However, it is funny because the 5 same relays claim to be rated at 40a.

That’s my take Atleast.

It is bizarre if you look at the link he posted. The numbers don't add up at all.
I think the ignition power is powering up the 86 terminal on the relays, there definitely needs to be a megafuse or fuse link wire on the main battery wire. The relays may be rated at 20 or 30 amps each but the wiring and circuit board won’t handle that much current.

The reason for the different relay is that one circuit is rated for 30a and the other 5 are only 20a. However, it is funny because the 5 same relays claim to be rated at 40a.

That’s my take Atleast.
I get that part but there is a red control wire that switches the whole mess on and off. ??

I think the ignition power is powering up the 86 terminal on the relays, there definitely needs to be a megafuse or fuse link wire on the main battery wire. The relays may be rated at 20 or 30 amps each but the wiring and circuit board won’t handle that much current.
Got it. Using the switches to control the ground side.

Got it. Using the switches to control the ground side.
Essentially, looks like they might be using a small microprocessor with a small data cable running to the switch pod. I says it has temperature protection shut down at 100c, how hot are the under hood temperatures in a TJ? I think it’s a nice compact all in one unit but would be suspect of the quality. I cannot by 6 quality relays for that price.

I can easily put a fuse or circuit breaker in line with the battery. The five standard relays are all four pin. The larger amperage relay is five pin. So far I'll be switching front and aux lights (H3's front and LED rear), small OBA compressor, LED rock lights, dome light defeat for doors off.

And, I have a box of four pin relays that can be swapped in.

Swotch Pod Wiring.jpg

Last edited: