Best Out of the Box Shocks for 4" lift, 1.25" body lift, and 35's

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Initially looking at the Rancho RS55255 and RS55256, but I realize the Fox Resi's or something else could be better, and I'm curious about how they ride and if they are worth it. There are a lot of shocks with similar extended/compressed numbers listed over in the https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/tj-shock-spring-specification-resource-thread.47846/ thread. The Rancho's just seem to have very good travel relative to the other shocks in the ballpark.

Depends on your budget.
$50 Rancho 5000x
$100 Rancho 9000
$275 tuned Fox’s
There are some other options between $100-275.

Reactions: JMT
Every so often I see a good suggestion for the KYB Monomax.

I'm heavily leaning toward tuned fox's and outboarding the rears with the poly kit to fit 12" shocks. The front I plan on keeping it easy and going with 11" versions. But those aren't necessarily bolt-in options...

Depends on your budget.
$50 Rancho 5000x
$100 Rancho 9000
$275 tuned Fox’s
There are some other options between $100-275.
Not worried about budget, outside of the fact I don't want to pay for custom tuned. Just wanting a nice riding shock on and off-road. I've run Bilstein 5100's and Rancho 5000X. My question is, is there is a nicer shock than the Rancho 5000X that is out of the box?

Not worried about budget, outside of the fact I don't want to pay for custom tuned. Just wanting a nice riding shock on and off-road. I've run Bilstein 5100's and Rancho 5000X. My question is, is there is a nicer shock than the Rancho 5000X that is out of the box?
For the price? No probably not. I do think my rancho 9000 are better. They are twice as much and allow you to tweak the ride a bit.

There isn't a bunch wrong with the KYB Monomax.

I have a 4” lift plus 1” body. I run 35” tires. I didn’t like the 5000x. I had the 9000s. Put on a set of 5000x. They were a bit too soft for me. I put my 9000s back on.

I would have had I known about them. I am done shock swapping until I get around to 12” tuned fox.

I have a 4” lift plus 1” body. I run 35” tires. I didn’t like the 5000x. I had the 9000s. Put on a set of 5000x. They were a bit too soft for me. I put my 9000s back on.
Can you explain what you mean by "too soft"? What characteristics lead you to that conclusion. I've seen it mentioned before on here about those shocks and just looking for a better understanding of what that means. I have a new set of the 5000x's on mine and I would describe them as too stiff, as I seem to feel every crack in the road. Following this thread as I'm not currently happy with the 5000's, so I too am looking for another option.

Can you explain what you mean by "too soft"? What characteristics lead you to that conclusion. I've seen it mentioned before on here about those shocks and just looking for a better understanding of what that means. I have a new set of the 5000x's on mine and I would describe them as too stiff, as I seem to feel every crack in the road. Following this thread as I'm not currently happy with the 5000's, so I too am looking for another option.
They just didn’t give me the stability/ control that I wanted. I didn’t think they were rough or stiff.

I have been really happy with the Fox 2.o's -
Front - 980-24-643
Rear- 980-24-645

Currie tj springs front, Lj springs rear,
About a year in.

Pulled from the big shock list...

KYB Monomax

Front
15.86" compressed
9.45" travel
25.31" extended

Rear
15.27" compressed
8.47" travel
23.74" extended
Yeah, the travel is significantly less than the comparable Rancho’s, which causes hesitation.

How is your suspension set up? How much lift? How much uptravel?
4" Rock Jock coils, adjustable track bars front and rear, and adjustable control arms. No body lift yet, but that will be one of the next upgrades. Currently have 35's on it and running 26psi. I want to say the uptravel was in the 6.5-7" range. I cycled the suspension when I put the coils and control arms on, but didn't write and number down, so going off memory. This is my first TJ and all the guys I wheel with have JK's, which I have one of those as well. Maybe it's not fair to compare the TJ to the JK, but the TJ is quite a bit harsher ride. For example, there doesn't seem to be much/if any bounce in the front end if I stand on the front bumper and put any weight on it. If I didn't know any better, I would say something might be binding up, but that doesn't appear to be the case.