Best replacement carpet set?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Looking thru Amazon and various places. Having a hard time finding good reviews on the best carpet set to install. I don't want anything cheap and thin like what came in my Jeep stock. This is going over sound deadening material and heat shield foil backed material. So I don't want to cheap out on the carpet. But am also open to a good deal. If it's nice thick carpet. I did read on Amazon to avoid Rugged Ridge.

Anyone research this? Or have experience with a good brand?

I also looked at Lund. And it looks pretty nice. On closeout someplace too. So about $300 for a complete set. I read good things about Bedrug. But you have to buy front and back separately for $400-$500+. Didn't really want to spend that much. Unless it's a huge upgrade.

Not great pics out there either. I don't know why a company selling carpet can't take better pics of their products. Even the Lund pics look like some blurry picture a 3rd grader colored with crayons. So any pics would be greatly appreciated.

ACC brand from Rockauto (using the discount code). They now offer kits cut like the OEM carpet for easy removal when needed. They have several levels of price/quality from basic cutpile carpet to mass backed Essex carpet. After running without carpet for several years, I spent the money on the mass backed Essex and it's some of the best money I've spent on the LJ and wouldn't go back.

Reactions: RussTJ
I have the Bedrug and have been very happy. It looks good and is very easy to clean. It's $336 on Amazon for the front and back.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DP3YTGE/?tag=wranglerorg-20
20180324_151646.jpg

Reactions: danof76
ACC brand from Rockauto (using the discount code). They now offer kits cut like the OEM carpet for easy removal when needed. They have several levels of price/quality from basic cutpile carpet to mass backed Essex carpet. After running without carpet for several years, I spent the money on the mass backed Essex and it's some of the best money I've spent on the LJ and wouldn't go back.

Thank you. I hadn't even considered Rock Auto. Does it cover the kick panels? That's the one complaint Iv'e read about Bedrug is it doesn't cover the kick panels. And I have sound deadener going down that I'd like completely covered in carpet. So a replacement OWM style would probably do that.

I also read that thread on the father son installing the Bedrug. The carpet looks really nice. I'll go that route if I can't find anything better. And just not put sound deadener outside of the carpet kit.

Thank you. I hadn't even considered Rock Auto. Does it cover the kick panels?

If you are referring to the area forward of the door under the dash, no kit that I'm aware of covers this area including OEM.

I also read that thread on the father son installing the Bedrug. The carpet looks really nice. I'll go that route if I can't find anything better. And just not put sound deadener outside of the carpet kit.

IMO, Bedrug is good for wet or damp environments but it's not as thick as regular cutpile carpet and no where near as thick as the ACC Essex carpet (not to mention that Bedrug is only offered in gray). It just depends on what you're looking for.

RockAuto part numbers for ACC carpet replacement with backing, including rocker panels. You will need to select the correct color.

166D2D6A-3B60-403A-AABB-613299D81DBA.png

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,1999,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1431777,interior,flooring,1264

If you look at the set for $339. It comes with rocker panel covers. And is Essex thickness. Which is 2 or 3 times the thickness of stock. I think I found what I'm looking for. Comes in MANY different colors too.

If your considering carpet I'd check this out. Click the info button on that one for $339. It will show you all the colors and a larger image of the pieces. This looks really good. And a fair price.

RockAuto part numbers for ACC carpet replacement with backing, including rocker panels.

View attachment 70465

We must have been typing at the same time. This looks like the sh*t. I'm gonna put this down over sound deadener and heat shield. Thank you both for referring me to this. This looks much nicer than Budrug for around the same price.

Yeah, I purchased the rocker covers. Your post mentioned kick panels which threw me off.

And is Essex thickness.

It has more to do with density of the carpet than thickness per say.

Which is 2 or 3 times the thickness of stock.

If you want added thickness and sound deadening you want the mass backed option. I would advise adding some heat barrier material between the carpet and the tub as the trans tunnel has gotten hot enough to slightly melt my mine (not through to the carpet fabric) in a few small places. I don't know how the heat would affect non-mass backed carpet but I'd err on the side of caution.

If your considering carpet I'd check this out.

I agree. It's great carpet at a reasonable price.

Bed Rug is a great product. I find that it does keep most of the heat from the transmission tunnel from radiating into cab. Noise reduction not so much since I have a soft top.

Yeah, I purchased the rocker covers. Your post mentioned kick panels which threw me off.

It has more to do with density of the carpet than thickness per say.

If you want added thickness and sound deadening you want the mass backed option. I would advise adding some heat barrier material between the carpet and the tub as the trans tunnel has gotten hot enough to slightly melt my mine (not through to the carpet fabric) in a few small places. I don't know how the heat would affect non-mass backed carpet but I'd err on the side of caution.

I agree. It's great carpet at a reasonable price.

I'm putting down a layer or two of Second Skin sound deadener. And a layer of EZ Cool foam/ aluminum insulation. That with the carpet on top should have my bases covered. I had it all left over from another project anyway.

What I don't like about the stock carpet is it's so thin it feels and looks cheap. It may be pimping out my ride. But I like the look and feel of good carpet in a car. Even a Jeep. And I don't mud bog or anything. So I'm not concerned about it getting trashed with mud or dirt or something. I like that the Bedrub is mold resistant or whatever it is. But I really like the pile on that ACC stuff. If you looked at the photo in the info link. It looks like a pretty full fiber and much longer than normal.

Anyway. We'll see it's near the top of my to do list.

What’s the discount code?

I usually just Google "Rockauto discount code" and RetailMeNot comes up with the number that you can plug into the "how did you hear about us" field.

edit: 9635060191777165 is what came up

Ya. And how much is it?

5%. It's not much but every bit helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinjg98
Oh okay. I thought there was a forum discount code that I didn’t know about.

For those that missed the pics. This is the ACC stuff available at Rockauto. I would imagine that their cutpile is the same thickness as stock.

Essex.jpg

Capture.JPG