Best replacement carpet set?

ACC brand from Rockauto (using the discount code). They now offer kits cut like the OEM carpet for easy removal when needed. They have several levels of price/quality from basic cutpile carpet to mass backed Essex carpet. After running without carpet for several years, I spent the money on the mass backed Essex and it's some of the best money I've spent on the LJ and wouldn't go back.
How was the installation? Is it truly a fit like OEM which is molded very well and pop in and out quite readily? We used a mass back option supplied to us by the customer and we had to have an upholstery shop trim and glue it in because there was no way I was going to be able to get in installed nicely.

How was the installation? Is it truly a fit like OEM which is molded very well and pop in and out quite readily? We used a mass back option supplied to us by the customer and we had to have an upholstery shop trim and glue it in because there was no way I was going to be able to get in installed nicely.

The set I purchased five years ago was definitely not plug and play. I'd give the molding an 8 out of 10. But then again this was this first and only carpet kit I've installed. The carpet followed the contours of the floor pan, trans tunnel and wheel wells satisfactorily. The fitment around the edges was more of a rough cut or trim to fit kind of deal. I had to trim excess material where the driver and passenger side meet on top of the trans tunnel, where the foot well meets the firewall and where the wheel wells meet the floor. There were no cutouts. Having a pack of utility knife hook blades made the trimming easier. ACC now offers what they call "quick-install" sets that have all of the cut outs for easy R&R:

my kit
notquickinstall.jpg

quick-install
quickinstall.jpg

Last edited:
The set I purchased five years ago was definitely not plug and play. I'd give the molding an 8 out of 10. But then again this was this first and only carpet kit I've installed. The carpet followed the contours of the floor pan, trans tunnel and wheel wells satisfactorily. The fitment around the edges was more of a rough cut or trim to fit kind of deal. I had to trim excess material where the driver and passenger side meet on top of the trans tunnel, where the foot well meets the firewall and where the wheel wells meet the floor. There were no cutouts. Having a pack of utility knife hook blades made the trimming easier. ACC now offers what they call "quick-install" sets that have all of the cut outs:

my kit
View attachment 70600
quick-install
View attachment 70601
Yeah, we got the first one and there was no way it was going to stay in place without some serious effort by someone with more patience and skill than myself. I tried fitting the driver front piece and poking, prodding and some stomping didn't even get it close to fitting right. The second kit mimic OEM very closely in appearance so it should be much easier.

It gets you $16.99 off. Thank you! Put the code in the new customers box before hitting the top checkout button. The bottom one does not seem to work for me. Changed the total.

The set I purchased five years ago was definitely not plug and play. I'd give the molding an 8 out of 10. But then again this was this first and only carpet kit I've installed. The carpet followed the contours of the floor pan, trans tunnel and wheel wells satisfactorily. The fitment around the edges was more of a rough cut or trim to fit kind of deal. I had to trim excess material where the driver and passenger side meet on top of the trans tunnel, where the foot well meets the firewall and where the wheel wells meet the floor. There were no cutouts. Having a pack of utility knife hook blades made the trimming easier. ACC now offers what they call "quick-install" sets that have all of the cut outs for easy R&R:

my kit
View attachment 70600
quick-install
View attachment 70601

Did you get the cutpile or the Essex?

Here's the thickness difference in case anyone didn't look at the pics on Rockautos site. You can also get Essex with mat backing as discussed above. Making it even more stable. And adding alot more sound proofing. But I think I'd add my own sound deadener to the tub. If less noise is your goal.

Essex.jpg

Here's the thickness difference in case anyone didn't look at the pics on Rockautos site. You can also get Essex with mat backing as discussed above. Making it even more stable. And adding alot more sound proofing. But I think I'd add my own sound deadener to the tub. If less noise is your goal.

View attachment 70680
The Essex looks like it would hold more dirt...

The Essex looks like it would hold more dirt...
Yes. For sure. But that doesnt lower how many times you need to vacuum. Lol

Where it matters is water and mud. You dont want water and mud in a thick ass carpet. So the cutpile would be better for that.

Had i to do it over i would choose cutpile. Definitwly thick enough. And thicker than bedrug. And it wont make rubber deep dish mats buckle. Easier to dry out should u get it wet.

Plus acc cutpile is imho a better carpet than bedrug. And way less expensive.

I just got my new carpet for my LJ two days ago. What I find really aggravating is the fact the that there is no cut outs at all.
I did call ACC and they offer a quick install kit for the TJ, but not an LJ. I explained the front carpet is the same, so why not offer it for the LJ.
They said it saves in the manufacturing process.
You want to charge me 717.00 for carpeting that is basically cut to fit. Yes.

I did order mine from RockAuto, so it was signifigantly less, but I'm still not happy with the product and may end up returning it.

I have used ACC numerous times on other vehicles and was very happy with the carpeting. The carpets all had the correct cut outs and required very little trimming to install.

I just got my new carpet for my LJ two days ago. What I find really aggravating is the fact the that there is no cut outs at all.
I did call ACC and they offer a quick install kit for the TJ, but not an LJ. I explained the front carpet is the same, so why not offer it for the LJ.

I did order mine from RockAuto, so it was signifigantly less, but I'm still not happy with the product and may end up returning it.

I have used ACC numerous times on other vehicles and was very happy with the carpeting. The carpets all had the correct cut outs and required very little trimming to install.
I have mentioned the cut to fit part before and was told that was no longer the case. I see the confusion now. I started the install, about 15 minutes in decided this ain't for me and sent it out to an upholstery shop. I am not going to fuck up 700 dollars' worth of carpet I don't own and I don't want to own 700 dollars' worth of fucked up carpet.

I have mentioned the cut to fit part before and was told that was no longer the case. I see the confusion now. I started the install, about 15 minutes in decided this ain't for me and sent it out to an upholstery shop. I am not going to fuck up 700 dollars' worth of carpet I don't own and I don't want to own 700 dollars' worth of fucked up carpet.
I have used their carpeting numerous times in other vehicles with no issues,

You can order a "quick install" carpet for TJ's. It is all precut ready to go in. The LJ is a different story which I don't understand.

The front carpet in lj came out of my old TJ and it fits fine

I just think they really missed the mark on the LJ carpet set.

My 2000 has ACC , it’s pretty nice, and seems thicker than stock a good bit ...but all stock carpet is pretty packed at this point. I declare the stock stuff was made by Velcro. Everything sticks to it.

That is interesting. I was almost ready to order a set for my LJ recently until I realized how much it weighs. I decided to keep my Bedrug and now am so happy I did.