Best rust converter

I work at a brewery and they had some rust converter stuff from back when it opened in 89. It was a brown frothy liquid stuff, when it hit the rust it would turn it black. I used it on are catwalks going to the tank lids before we painted them (we did crap like this when bottling was slow) and that was about 4-5 years ago and the rust is slowing coming back. Keep in mind this is in a environment that is wet 95% of the time. My boss has told me it worked better than any other product and he didn’t even know we had it. I will try to take a picture of the stuff Monday when I go back to work, if we still have any..

As for rust, I always thought if you want it gone you have to cut it out.. sand/grind it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just recently did my frame inside and out. I used Rust Mort. Available on Amazon, made for commercial use its a bit stronger than the rustoleum product. Coated with eastwood internal and outside got chassis saver. good luck

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
What do you guys and gals prefer for rust converting Rust Sergeant RCMP vs Corroseal or something else?
I have been using a product called Red Lion 74555 Rust Away rust conversation coating. Ive applied this to a rusted wheelbarrow over twenty years ago and still the rust never reappeared. Its a thick water soluble coating that needs some rust formation to convert it into a black oxide finish. In all my experience (49yrs) I have never seen anything outperform this product. I hope this info helps you in some way, as far as I am concerned this is the best ever, however I think its rather pricy but the performance of this product should outweigh that concern. If your'e interested, I could probably send you some info as where to get it as it is not a readily available thing you will find locally as in my former career I had these industrial product salespersons demonstrating these things to me. Im not sure you will easily find this product, but when and if you do, you will never forget it. Good luck with solving your problem.
Pocojo

I have been using a product called Red Lion 74555 Rust Away rust conversation coating. Ive applied this to a rusted wheelbarrow over twenty years ago and still the rust never reappeared. Its a thick water soluble coating that needs some rust formation to convert it into a black oxide finish. In all my experience (49yrs) I have never seen anything outperform this product. I hope this info helps you in some way, as far as I am concerned this is the best ever, however I think its rather pricy but the performance of this product should outweigh that concern. If your'e interested, I could probably send you some info as where to get it as it is not a readily available thing you will find locally as in my former career I had these industrial product salespersons demonstrating these things to me. Im not sure you will easily find this product, but when and if you do, you will never forget it. Good luck with solving your problem.
Pocojo
Once again, its like $250/gal. but if it works as well as I stated, how much in the long run will it be saving you ?

How about the POR-15 that was mentioned above? I've always heard it was a very good rust converter.
Hello brother Jerry,
I never had any experience with that product. I guess my good fortune with testing this product was that I was chief engineer of this building and could in a wave of my hand say "yeah, send me five gallons of this product for test", at $250/gal., thats a nice position to be into. I am not an agent nor in any way to promote this product other than my personal experience with it. I would like to try POR-15 but if that is $250/gal. if it is less, I would have by doubts about its comparison to the one I mentioned.
Joe

I am not sure POR 15 is a converter per se but must have some of that property to it. POR (paint over rust) is designed for just that. You see it a lot on frames and under body. Its got a good reputation but if you put it on bear metal you have to be careful to prep it VERY good or it will not adhere properly.

I am not sure POR 15 is a converter per se but must have some of that property to it. POR (paint over rust) is designed for just that. You see it a lot on frames and under body. Its got a good reputation but if you put it on bear metal you have to be careful to prep it VERY good or it will not adhere properly.
This product Im referring to is specifically a rust converter, not a coating. Again it is around $250/gal and needs a layer of rust to make the conversion work. The instructions specifically state not to remove all the rust as it works with the rust to make the conversion occur. I am not an agent of the manufacturer nor have any interest in promoting this product, I just like to tell things like they are. This is the best product I have ever used in my long experience in the engineering field. Im now retired, but when I was in that field, a wave of my hand would bring me 5 gals. of that product for test with not a penny out of my pocket. Now you can see how I learned about this stuff without any personal investment on my part, but I still proclaim it is the best rust converter ever made. The original Co. who made it was taken over and the name changed. I f you have a deeper interest in it, I can provide the details. Once again it runs about $250/gal. For all I know it could consist of water, black water based paint, baking soda and salt, but if it works that good and I was the manufacturer, I would also charge $250/gal. I will never know that, but I truly know it works exactly as I described. I am a 69 yr. old retired VN vet and have nothing to gain by lying to someone and thats just the way it is. Thanks for listening.
Pocojo