BF Goodrich KO2 vs Patagonia M/T and noise levels

I have found that conscientiously rotating tires every 4-5,000 miles is the key for keeping tire noise down on tires with open void tread like the Cooper ST/Maxx and STT Pro. However, tires are going to get louder as they wear and age no matter how often they are rotated and after 30,000 miles it doesn't help as much as when the tires are fresh.

Reactions: Fixer6
Check prices carefully before you buy. When I bought my Patagonia’s I found out quick that buying them from Simpletire.com, having them delivered to my house, then having them mounted and meticulously balanced, was by far the cheapest route to go. Although things may have changed a bit in the past six months, it may still be worth a check. Especially if you have a friend, or can make one, that will mount and balance them for you. The road hazard warranties you get from Discount and other places may hold more value to some if it’s a daily driver, but mine is not, so at $155 a tire, I figured I’d just buy another one.
Like I said though, your mileage may vary.

@Fixer6
Do you have any good pics of your Milestars that you could post? Trying to find some tires that fit my TJ and have some kind of reputation. Just trying to figger my options. Thanks

Reactions: Fixer6
@Fixer6
Do you have any good pics of your Milestars that you could post? Trying to find some tires that fit my TJ and have some kind of reputation. Just trying to figger my options. Thanks
Sure, no problem.

F793361F-87D9-4984-84D9-DBEABB6504C5.jpeg

08C802B4-84F4-4F38-9841-193EFF3478B2.jpeg

7AFB4783-A1AD-4632-97F8-B6BCA4DCB425.jpeg

7B1CDABD-BBCD-43FC-A8FB-1013A8A56205.jpeg

9FB79C55-7703-4F67-9FB3-4003707C614E.jpeg

I ran the first gen Cooper STT's and they were horrible loud about half life. Not sure if they improved with the STT Pro.

I ran the first gen Cooper STT's and they were horrible loud about half life. Not sure if they improved with the STT Pro.

My ST/Maxx tires didn't get noticeably louder until about 30,000 miles, after which tire rotation didn't do as much to reduce noise as it had before. I still have them on that vehicle - now approaching 40,000 miles with about 4/32" tread left. Time to replace them but I haven't decided what to try next - it will be the last set of tires for that rig before I sell or trade it so they will be something cost conscious.

I love my ko2's,. Enough that I'm buying another set for my F150.

I don't hear any noise coming from them on my TJ.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My ST/Maxx tires didn't get noticeably louder until about 30,000 miles, after which tire rotation didn't do as much to reduce noise as it had before. I still have them on that vehicle - now approaching 40,000 miles with about 4/32" tread left. Time to replace them but I haven't decided what to try next - it will be the last set of tires for that rig before I sell or trade it so they will be something cost conscious.

I have Cooper AT3's on our SUV. They are wearing well with about 25k on them and about half life. They aren't as aggressive as the ST Maxx though.

If they made the General Grabber AT2 in my tire size I would have given them a try.

I like the Cooper AT3 for an all-purpose AT tire but the new designations confuse me. Before, all I needed to do for that vehicle was specify AT3 in LT265/75R16 with a C load rating. Now, Cooper has several versions of the AT3 and I'm not sure which corresponds to the original version.

I like the Cooper AT3 for an all-purpose AT tire but the new designations confuse me. Before, all I needed to do for that vehicle was specify AT3 in LT265/75R16 with a C load rating. Now, Cooper has several versions of the AT3 and I'm not sure which corresponds to the original version.

They made a sidewall change recently to a little more aggressive look, and I think are designating that change as so.

My SST pros have about 10k on them. I rotate every 2000-2500 and they were OK up until the last rotation. They got loud quick after that. But my ears have also gotten worse from sitting in front of a pulse arc welder for the last 6 months. Hard to really say what came first.

Hey Fixer6 would you mind giving up some info on your F and R bumpers? That front is just what I was thinking for my 06 Rubi. We could be twins! Thanx. And that AT3 change threw me too. They have something like firestar line too? I and about 5 or 6 others got the AT3 on everything from a minivan (think for snow and ice) to a Subaru to aa few different SUV's and mini pickups. All love them for NY seasons.

I wore my KM2's down to about 7/32's and couldn't take the noise any longer. They actually created a resonant frequency at 50-60 mph that drove me nuts! While I can't give any advise on the Pats, I have 2k on my KO2's and they are quiet as a mouse and grip well in the wet stuff.

How much off-road have you done with the KO2’s? One of my concerns is we are heading to Moab and Ouray in September. We don’t plan on doing anything crazy but will be doing some trails, most likely solo.

Hey Fixer6 would you mind giving up some info on your F and R bumpers? That front is just what I was thinking for my 06 Rubi. We could be twins! Thanx. And that AT3 change threw me too. They have something like firestar line too? I and about 5 or 6 others got the AT3 on everything from a minivan (think for snow and ice) to a Subaru to aa few different SUV's and mini pickups. All love them for NY seasons.
Sure. They are Barricade, or Fishbone (I honestly can’t remember which) front and rear. I think I got them from Quadratec. They come with the cheapest hardware imaginable, so I replaced all that. They came with the shackles that I painted white. Even though most are galvanized, I noticed that a lot of them seem to rust anyway. I remounted the fog lights through the holes where a which plate would go, and my license plate to the fairlead mount. I hade to trim the plastic in front of the grill to put it back in. The crinkle paint, although thin, seems to hold up pretty well, so far anyway. On the rear, the carrier does not even come close to matching up with the rubber bumpers on the tailgate, but it is solid as can be, and doesn’t shake or rattle at all. I drilled two holes in the top to mount my cut down third brake light.
Edited to add - First day I put the bumpers on, I drove the wife to the grocery store, and while inside somebody took all my shackles because I didn’t tighten them when I put them on. I remember them rattling when driving, and didn’t even notice they were missing until we got home. So, I bought new ones, painted them, and installed rubber o-rings on both sides. Then tighten the crap out of them, and safety wired them. Never had a problem since, and they don’t rattle.

Last edited:
How much off-road have you done with the KO2’s? One of my concerns is we are heading to Moab and Ouray in September. We don’t plan on doing anything crazy but will be doing some trails, most likely solo.

I've only been off road with them once so far at a off road park. It rained the night before, so it was a muddy mess at the park. They performed like a typical AT tire would perform in sloppy mud, terribly. I don't think you'd have a problem with them on slick rock.

Reactions: jeepndogs

The KO2's will perform well at Moab. Slickrock is anything but slick. The first time went to Moab I had the old style Yokohama Geolander AT's which were very similar to the current Cooper Discoverer AT3 - I was amazed at the traction and grip. The second time I had the old design BFG AT's on my jeep, similar to the current BFG A/T KO2. Same impression. The last trip was in an "other brand" 4x4 on Cooper ST/Maxx's - also good results.

The Colorado guys can tell you about Ouray, but from what I have read and heard you should also be fine unless your goal for the day is to spend it looking for the toughest rock garden on the trail. Many "other brand" overlanders run the popular Colorado trails with AT tires without complaint.

Reactions: jeepndogs