BF Goodrich KO2 vs Patagonia M/T and noise levels

In my size 265/70r17 (stock TJ). I'm finding the Patagonia's for $117. And K02's for $199. Both on Amazon. Both are "E" rated. Which I assume is thicker than "C" rated? Or is it thinner?

How bad are the Patagonia's in the rain? Are they worse than a tire in a similar price range? Looking for a tire to run in the PNW. And I sure would like to save almost half on tires. If both are similar quietness. I'm down to how well they perform in the rain.

Was considering Duratracs as I've read they are good in rain. But don't last as long as K02's.

E rated are for a heavier weight vehicle, you want C rated tires. I just bought 33x10.5x15 KO's they retail for $250 per tire, I got them for 200. Still have death wobble but it is probably a balance issue and I need to get different rims.

Milestar Patagonia's are the current tire du jour, but I'm not sure that they have been on the market long enough for any comprehensive long term reviews.

I have several friends who run them in my part of California where we regularly get more than 50" of rain. None have made any negative comments. One of them has commented about how much he likes them in snow.

Choose a C-load-rated tire if possible, it will be better matched to the weight of your rig, but don't make it a deal breaker if the tire you really want is only available in a D or E.

Milestar Patagonia's are the current tire du jour, but I'm not sure that they have been on the market long enough for any comprehensive long term reviews.

I have several friends who run them in my part of California where we regularly get more than 50" of rain. None have made any negative comments. One of them has commented about how much he likes them in snow.

Choose a C-load-rated tire if possible, it will be better matched to the weight of your rig, but don't make it a deal breaker if the tire you really want is only available in a D or E.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I can't find a C rated in my size - 265/70r17 . On amazon questions it says "These tires are rated for 3,195 pounds. They are an E-rated/10-PLY tire.". And the Jeep Wrangler TJ SE is 3800lbs give or take. So I'm kind of not worrying about that to much.

All the reviews on Amazon are outstanding. And that YT video review posted previously claims they are good in the rain. Offroad they look beastly in their video too.

My build is definitely more of a "restore and daily driver build". Rather than a "build it for off road" kind of build. So these tires stand a good chance of ending up on my Jeep. Gotta be an improvement over my stock Goodyear Wrangler radial street tires. And my plans for it are street use in the PNW. And on old logging roads there too.

And I'm very happy that there is an MT tire that is quiet. I much prefer the looks and offroad ability of an MT. But was not into them because of the noise.

They are a great tire for the price. I'm a Nitto guy, and the Pat isn't as robust, but it's lighter.

I'm running the 38s. Did good in Moab.
c09fc81933d6369d4e67d6801d35e008.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: TJ Starting
So where are they made? Looks like imported in cali.. Milestar tires are manufactured by the Nankang Rubber Tire Corporation and distributed in North America by TIRECO.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1709-tire-test-milestar-patagonia-mt/ Tire Test: Milestar Patagonia M/T
Posted in How To: Wheels Tires on September 7, 2017

146444827.jpg

Will Morgan Photographer, Writer

We have seen huge changes to the “norm” during the last 30 years in the off-road community when it comes to tires. With those changes we have seen new technology offering innovative tread designs and softer, stickier rubber compounds. Once upon a time, an all-terrain 31-inch tire was thought of as one that could take you where you needed to go, and get you back home at the end of the day. We have all watched as 33s became the new 31, and not long after that, the 35 was the standard. In today’s world, 37-inch tires have replaced the 35, and more common than not, we see builds with 36- to 38-inch tires daily. How soon, if not already, until the 40-inch tire is the norm?
Milestar, a subsidiary of Tireco Inc., a U.S.-based corporation founded in 1972 with a target audience of mainly commercial, passenger car, and light-duty vehicles, realized that something was missing from its portfolio and launched the Patagonia line of off-road tires in 2016. The company is now offering the Patagonia in an All-Terrain as well as a Mud-Terrain, so we wanted to see what the new offering was all about.

We were able to get our hands on one of the first sets of the Patagonia M/T for a real-world review of how they held up to being outfitted on a daily driver that still sees plenty of trail time. During our testing we wanted to make sure that the tire was graded on its on-road characteristics as well as its off-road capabilities. The Patagonias were mounted onto a set of Sendel wheels, also part of the Tireco flagship, and installed on our 2014 Rubicon JKU. This is a vehicle that we have used for multiple reviews and tests because we know its handling characteristics and the noise level between different brands and tires tested. We also assessed the comfort level and performance of the tires in low- and high-speed situations at different levels of tire pressure—in a variety of environments, conditions, and driving scenarios.

146444869.jpg
An open tread pattern was designed to provide aggressive grabbing ability while allowing the tires to self-clean, and the tread’s siping helped disperse water in wet conditions. The staggered, off-center tread blocks provided good highway traction while not compromising on-road characteristics.
Construction and Design
The tread pattern has a high-void design that helps promote self-cleaning, certainly an important factor when you find yourself in those sticky, muddy environments. You most definitely want and need the tread to self-clean so it can take a bite and keep the vehicle moving forward in the mud. The tread’s angled biting edges and siping enhance the tire’s traction on- and off-road, and the complex siping pattern helps the tire’s ability to maintain traction in all conditions and environments.
With the exception of the 31x10.5R15LT, the entire Patagonia lineup has a 3-ply sidewall construction that adds strength and protection against impact damage. There are also stone ejectors integrated into the tread that are designed to help protect against retention and stone drilling from those annoying, sharp, pea-sized rocks that like to hide within the tread. The shoulder of the tire has an aggressive tread pattern that aids in maintaining traction in rocky environments when the tires are aired down and the sidewalls are being utilized as the point of contact to avoid sideslip.

1525079870949_thumbnail.jpg

Christian Hazel winching Trent McGee out of deep mud in Moab

137931951.jpg
The tires cleaned out well in the mud and didn’t get clogged up, especially in areas of clay and other types of thick mud that can stick in a tread pattern and cause traction problems.
Testing
Our testing of the new Patagonia tires took place over a six-week period. The tires were tested while covering almost 1,500 miles of combined terrain. We tested them on pavement, two-track roads in the rugged backcountry of Wyoming, popular slick rock trails in Moab, and some rough rock sections of Camp 5 in the Black Hills of South Dakota. This gave us a true sense of how the tires performed in various environments and elements.

As one would expect, the gripping compound of the tires on the slick rock in Moab was a perfect fit. We encountered no slipping, and the tires held tight even under less than optimal conditions with maximum air pressure. They held well on climbs, as well as when descending the sandpaper-like surface, in both wet and dry conditions.

In the Wyoming backcountry, the tires provided a comfortable ride on the two-tracks and on the washboard sections of desolate roads between one section of trail and the next. The conditions were dry and dusty, and our testing route was that of an average overland trip that took us through sections of smaller (football- to duffle bag-sized) rocks, ledges, dried-up creek beds, and river crossings. When aired down to around 15 psi, the tires flexed enough to help with the comfort of the changing environments, especially on the washboard roads.

Our last area of testing was on the jagged slate and granite rocks in the Dakotas—where buggies and dedicated trail rigs are seen playing almost every weekend. For this part of our testing, we aired down to 12 psi up front and 10 psi in the rear to allow the sidewall to flex a bit more, increase our footprint, and help grab the rocks to allow us to crawl up, over, and around them. The shoulder and tread pattern held onto the rock surfaces and performed well on a trail where the tires needed to keep traction by conforming to the rocks.

146444866.jpg
Built-in stone ejectors are intended to eject the small rocks, and they did a relatively good job spitting out most of them. However, at times the tread still had a tendency to hang onto some stones.
Overall
There were several things that stood out during the testing of these tires. They performed admirably in all off-road conditions we met, and we were pleasantly surprised at how quiet and how well they handled on concrete and paved surfaces. After close to 1,500 miles during this test, we decided that we would continue running these to see how they perform during the rainy conditions in the winter months. There is a very good chance we will be back to report on how the Patagonia from Milestar holds up in the demanding conditions of winter snow and ice.

137931948.jpg
We had the opportunity to hit the trails in Moab as part of our testing cycle. As expected, the Patagonia M/T tires held like suction cups on the slick rock of Utah.
146444863.jpg
The traction capabilities of the Patagonia M/T gave us no reservations at all when it was time to dive into water crossings or muddy terrain.
137931942.jpg
While testing the tires in a dried-up creek bed where the rocks were plentiful (and in certain areas were really big), the sidewalls flexed well and allowed the tires to wrap around the rocky surface while increasing their footprint and traction.
Sizes
As of July 2017 the Patagonia M/T is offered in 15- to 20-inch wheel diameters with 31- to 38-inch overall diameter options. Depending on size, the Patagonia will either be a C-, D-, or E-rated load range tire. According to Andrew Hoit of Milestar, “The 38x13.50R17 Patagonia M/T should launch in September and the 40x13.50R17 is expected to launch in January. At this time the 40 is the largest size the company plans to offer.” Hoit also stated that the company plans to have “two additional AT patterns coming in the next 12 months targeted at the off-road consumer.”

Specs As Tested
Size: 37x12.50R17LT
Type: Mud Terrain
Load Range: D
Max Load (lbs@psi): 3525@50
Approved Rim Width (in): 10
Tread Depth (in): 19/32
Tread Width (in): 10
Section Width (in): 12.50
Overall Diameter (in): 36.8
Maximum psi: 50
Weight (lbs): 71.3

PhotosView Slideshow
146444860.jpg
137931939.jpg
146444857.jpg
146444851.jpg
146444845.jpg
137931936.jpg
146444842.jpg
146444839.jpg

Sources

Milestar Tires
310-767-7990
milestartires.com

Reactions: Fixer6
Harvested from the Interweb:

Milestar is made by Nankang Rubber Tire, a Taiwanese company dating back to 1940.

They have two Taiwanese plants, one each in Nankang and Hsinfung, and in 2003 began production in Jiangsu in mainland China.

They have Ford Motor Company's Q1 Certification and iISO-9001 certification.

Maybe Nankang makes some or all of them, but Milestar is a private label brand actually owned by the tire distributing company Tireco.

Tireco also is the U.S. distributor of Nankang tires, but that doesn't guarantee you'll always be getting a Nankang-made tire if you buy a Milestar.
TIRECO, Inc. is a national, private brand marketing and distribution company that exclusively owns and distributes the
MILESTAR, GEOSTAR, GEOTRAC, NANCO, and TRACGARD brands, and is also the exclusive distributor for the
NANKANG and WESTLAKE brands. Founded in 1972, TIRECO has become an industry leader in imported tire and
wheel products ranging from consumer and commercial to specialty and custom wheels. Headquartered in Gardena,
CA, TIRECO has an extensive network of national dealer/distributors and operates one of the country�s largest tire
warehousing facilities in Fontana, CA. For more information, please visit TIRECO�s website at www.tireco.com.

UPDATE-
To add to my above post, I just looked up some Milestar tires on ebay and the ones I looked at aren't made by Nankang. The DOT number prefix, JE, indicates they were made in China at the SHANDONG YONGSHENG RUBBER CO., LTD. factory.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3273299/Milestar_Tires_-_any_good

A friend who owns a set of Milestar Patagonias told me that his were made in Indonesia.

If country of origin really matters, a phone call to Milestar after the holiday weekend should end any confusion

Actually country of origin does matter, most offshore tires lack UV protection, I had a set of tires from India that were 1.5 years old and were already dry rotted, unless they lied about the date code on the side of the tire. I have seen similar problems with chinese tires. I dont think a set of BFG's will dry rot within 2 years. But hey, if the chicom tires suit someone's needs go for it. And being Ford certified in China is not being Ford certified in the USA, both countries have different standards for crash safety, emission, etc.

I put a set on Nankang tires on an air-cooled VW I restored a few years ago - one of the only remaining sources for 165/80R15 tires, the equivalent in size to the discontinued OEM 165-15 bias ply tires. They were okay, but just okay.

I didn't own that car long enough after the new tires were installed to evaluate UV protection, particularly because the car was always garaged when not in use. It is now owned by a retired dentist in Holland.

I put a set on Nankang tires on an air-cooled VW I restored a few years ago - one of the only remaining sources for 165/80R15 tires, the equivalent in size to the discontinued OEM 165-15 bias ply tires. They were okay, but just okay.

I didn't own that car long enough after the new tires were installed to evaluate UV protection, particularly because the car was always garaged when not in use. It is now owned by a retired dentist in Holland.

I did the same thing to a classic 1967 VW Bug. They were the only tire available. I too sold mine shortly thereafter. So I was not able to gauge wear with that tire. Really loved that car. But someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. You'd be flabbergasted to know how much VW's go for now days.

10005912_10203361303287659_522976114385115046_o.jpg

I did the same thing to a classic 1967 VW Bug. They were the only tire available. I too sold mine shortly thereafter. So I was not able to gauge wear with that tire. Really loved that car. But someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. You'd be flabbergasted to know how much VW's go for now days.

View attachment 96110
Yeah, almost as much as low mileage rust free TJ's

I did the same thing to a classic 1967 VW Bug. . . . But someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. You'd be flabbergasted to know how much VW's go for now days.

Here was my Type 3 (with the dry rotted Sam Winston 165-15 bias ply tires still on it). The current owner paid top dollar and shipped it overseas.

1973 VW SQUAREBACK 01312013.JPG

Reactions: jeepndogs
There is just no way that tire is as quiet as the claims with those huge voids and tread block gaps. 50% worn down they are going to sing!

Reactions: jeepndogs
There is just no way that tire is as quiet as the claims with those huge voids and tread block gaps. 50% worn down they are going to sing!
I agree. Mine are pretty quiet up until 60+ MPH. Over 60 MPH and they get loud just like any other M/T tire. Noise level is tolerable, but definitely not quiet. I had STT Pro's prior to the Patagonia's and I would say that the noise level is similar.

Reactions: bobthetj03