Black Jeep, White Hardtop

Lots of good input, I should be getting to refurbishing the top soon. I am going to do my best to write up the process as well. I still have not picked a color, I may stay with white or an off-white depending on the choice of paint or bed liner finish.
I just watched "It" and I think it would be cool to do a color scheme based on Pennywise, but it may be too much work to repaint the entire Jeep to match the color scheme. Plus, I'd rather dump my money into the driveline before I pretty it up.

Lots of good input, I should be getting to refurbishing the top soon. I am going to do my best to write up the process as well. I still have not picked a color, I may stay with white or an off-white depending on the choice of paint or bed liner finish.
I just watched "It" and I think it would be cool to do a color scheme based on Pennywise, but it may be too much work to repaint the entire Jeep to match the color scheme. Plus, I'd rather dump my money into the driveline before I pretty it up.

Here is how I cleaned up my black factory hardtop.
1) Low pressure wash by hand with light automotive detergent
2) Magic eraser, went through half a decent sized box.
3) S100 Paste wax coating.
Clean top 1.jpg waxed on left - only cleaned on right.jpg

Reactions: mots
FWIW, I'd go with black, but the white top is certainly different. And that was an amazing deal on the hardtop. I found one on Craigslist off of a 2006, and that cost me a grand here in South Florida. The top's in excellent shape tho and he delivered it to me so I thought is was a fair deal.

Update to the great $250 Hardtop Deal!
Well, after getting it sanded and ready for repair, found it was a much bigger problem than I thought. The previous owner(s) at some point was very good with bondo. Looks like a tree branch hit it and caused a lot of damage. As you can see below, they attempted to fiberglass part of it, and it wasn't to awfully bad, but the bondo I removed was way over the intended use.
20180810_090436.jpg

So, what's a fella to do? Well, I decided it was going to be a good learning project and kept trucking along. I have never fiberglassed before, and the materials are free, so onward with the project.
Put down a buttload of layers to smooth out the big problem areas. Not to bad, but made a big mess in the process.
20180827_140744.jpg

It's hard to tell, plus I didn't take many pictures during the process, but those big holes are not quite flat and solid. As you can see from the next picture, this big hole is no quite smooth and ready for the next step.
20180914_101722.jpg
20180914_101752.jpg

I am still working on a few small spots, but in the next week or so, I'll primer it and get some rattle can bed liner or if it is smooth enough, I'll paint it. As of now, it looks like black bed liner is how it will end up. If the rattle can liner is not enough, I'll roll on a coat of liner as well.

Would I do it again, nope, way to much work and if I was paying for the materials, it would be better just to cut my losses and find another hardtop. I did learn some new things though, so that's a good enough trade off for me. My jeep is not showroom quality, so the hardtop will work just fine.

Looks like huge learning curve...but like you said after $$ invested into it you can’t just walk away.
Once its painted I’m sure it will look great.

Reactions: JMT
Looks like huge learning curve...but like you said after $$ invested into it you can’t just walk away.
Once its painted I’m sure it will look great.
Well, just because you invested a lot of $$ into something doesn't mean you shouldn't walk away. Sunk cost fallacy and all that.

However, it looks like this at least turned out to be a great opportunity to learn some new techniques with fiberglass, so there was definitely some value to sticking with the project.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Well, waiting on Morris 4x4 to get my glass here, whenever that happens I'll be finished. I rattle can primer the entire top then used roll on bed liner (Rustoleum) to finish it. I have 2 coats of liner on it and it came out alright, but I wanted it to look a little better. Oh well, its good enough for the rig. It would have probably looked better if I splurged on a better brand of bed liner or sprayed it on.
I still need to clean out the window channel and a few other spots, but overall, the top is looking pretty good. I'd say I have $350 including the price of the top in this, not bad, still would find a better condition one in the future.

HT1.jpg
HT2.jpg

Picked up this super cool hardtop for $260, was $250, but I didn't have two tens. Anyway, it has some damage, easy fixes, and my plan was to fix the issues, sand, then bed liner the exterior black.
My problemo is...I kind of like the white.
So, what say the all mighty Jeepers.
Paint it black?
Keep it white and name the Jeep: Jeeper Cottontail?
Or.... other.
View attachment 44772
Your jeep in this photo is pure perfection to me. I look at it near every day and i'm determined to get my TJ looking as close to it as possible without compromising my ride quality. Do you mind me asking what size and kind of tires you have on there and what the lift is? Thanks!

Your jeep in this photo is pure perfection to me. I look at it near every day and i'm determined to get my TJ looking as close to it as possible without compromising my ride quality. Do you mind me asking what size and kind of tires you have on there and what the lift is? Thanks!
They are stock canyon wheels with 32" Cooper Discoverer MTP, I forgot which ones in the picture. I've made some changes since this picture. Jeep has a frankenlift, mixed parts from JKS, Rough Country and Currie, but it's a 4.5" lift.
IMG_0896.JPG

Reactions: nicojeep
The white wouldn't be my first choice, but it doesn't look bad. That said, I bet as soon as you paint it darker you'll be excited before it even dries.