Black magic brake pads squealing

Got them about 4 or 5 months ago and they started squealing about a month in.I also got new rotors when I had these installed. I’ve had three different shops look at them and everybody keeps telling me it’s the pads.I don’t know what to do at this point other than get some new pads but I’m up for any suggestions.

Did you follow the break in instructions exactly? If not, find them and do them again. The pads will get hot enough so you can smell them. My BM pads have never squeaked.

Reactions: skrelnik and B252
Got them about 4 or 5 months ago and they started squealing about a month in.I also got new rotors when I had these installed. I’ve had three different shops look at them and everybody keeps telling me it’s the pads.I don’t know what to do at this point other than get some new pads but I’m up for any suggestions.
You need to do two things. First is verify that the pads are installed correctly with the notch down and then go do the break in again very aggressively. That will solve the problem. Did you try and get in touch with me to see what I could do to solve the problem?

You need to do two things. First is verify that the pads are installed correctly with the notch down and then go do the break in again very aggressively. That will solve the problem. Did you try and get in touch with me to see what I could do to solve the problem?
The notch is down and I’ve done the break in twice but maybe I’m not doing it aggressively enough. I’ll try it again tomorrow and no I didn’t contact you first I guess I should’ve done that first.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The notch is down and I’ve done the break in twice but maybe I’m not doing it aggressively enough. I’ll try it again tomorrow and no I didn’t contact you first I guess I should’ve done that first.
The pads will get hot enough when the break in is done properly so you can smell them and sense their heat. I re-do it every so often on top of that, since I don't always brake very aggressively.

Yes other brake pads don't need to be broken in as thoroughly/aggressively as the Black Magic pads do but then they don't brake as well as the Black Magic pads do either.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
As mentioned, check the position of the pads. I had mine in upside down and they would squeak a little bit.

I do the break in procedure about once a year, I dont brake very aggressively either. I tend to downshift when slowing. But when they are broken in correctly, they work incredibly well. I am able to lock up my 35s on the front.

Don't mean to hijack, related question. I've been wondering about how well Black Magic Brake pads would work for me since, like Jerry mentioned, I don't brake very aggressively and I use engine braking extensively.

Reactions: D M
Having just installed the BMB pads, you gotta get them hot when you do break in... But when you do, you'll know it. If you're doing it right, the 5th or 6th stop, you'll wonder why they aren't working as well. That is called brake fade and it's a symptom of a hot braking system.

The pads only solution is good for the emergency stop. You've got the power and grip to stop big tires. I can lock up the 35s with the BMB pads. If you want to do better and get less fade, the big brake kit is the way to go. It is necessary? Who knows. If you're in crazy rush hour traffic and hauling yourself down from 50 mph to 5 mph all the time and notice your brake fading, then yeah, get the BBK. For routine driving, light traffic, going a mile between stops so the brakes have time to cool, the pads are probably all you need.

Having just installed the BMB pads, you gotta get them hot when you do break in... But when you do, you'll know it. If you're doing it right, the 5th or 6th stop, you'll wonder why they aren't working as well. That is called brake fade and it's a symptom of a hot braking system.

The pads only solution is good for the emergency stop. You've got the power and grip to stop big tires. I can lock up the 35s with the BMB pads. If you want to do better and get less fade, the big brake kit is the way to go. It is necessary? Who knows. If you're in crazy rush hour traffic and hauling yourself down from 50 mph to 5 mph all the time and notice your brake fading, then yeah, get the BBK. For routine driving, light traffic, going a mile between stops so the brakes have time to cool, the pads are probably all you need.
All that goes away when they are fully broken in. Very hard to get them into hot fade after that.

Reactions: rasband
Break fade occurs with drum brakes not disc brakes. That's one of the big advantages of disc brakes.
Negative ghost rider. That's why performance/track cars have slotted or drilled rotors. Get those hot enough & they'll fade too at some point.

Reactions: williambmac