Black magic brake pads squealing

Negative ghost rider. That's why performance/track cars have slotted or drilled rotors. Get those hot enough & they'll fade too at some point.
Very few run drilled because there is almost no way to stop the rotor from cracking between the holes.

If you're in crazy rush hour traffic and hauling yourself down from 50 mph to 5 mph all the time and notice your brake fading, then yeah, get the BBK. For routine driving, light traffic, going a mile between stops so the brakes have time to cool, the pads are probably all you need.
I used to think this too, however having jumped from the pads to the BBK on an otherwise same rig there’s a much bigger difference than I had even expected. The control is more prevalent.

Reactions: jjvw
So i did the break in process again and I was braking hard enough that my tires were starting to squeal and the pads are still squealing under light braking like before.

Last edited:
Very few run drilled because there is almost no way to stop the rotor from cracking between the holes.
Yeah, they're not appropriate for a TJ. I used to run them on track cars & not for the purpose of longevity.

So i did the break in process again and I was breaking hard enough that my tires were starting to squeal and the pads are still squealing under light braking like before.
Double check their orientation, like has been mentioned--these are absolutely quiet when broken in correctly.

This is the wrong way to have the pads.
Upside down BMB pad.jpg

Two sets of BMB on my past Tj, and a big brake kit on my present Tj's, not a peep out of any of them.
Did you purchase the pads and rotors from blaine?
Did you do the install?
Did you inspect your knuckles to make sure there are no divots worn into them that could cause the brakes to apply unevenly.

Two sets of BMB on my past Tj, and a big brake kit on my present Tj's, not a peep out of any of them.
Did you purchase the pads and rotors from blaine?
Did you do the install?
Did you inspect your knuckles to make sure there are no divots worn into them that could cause the brakes to apply unevenly.
Some squeak, some don't. It is always mitigated with breaking them in.

So i did the break in process again and I was breaking hard enough that my tires were starting to squeal and the pads are still squealing under light braking like before.
It is how many times you do it with enthusiasm that matters. I promise it isn't the pads, they are either not broken in or they are upside down.

It is how many times you do it with enthusiasm that matters. I promise it isn't the pads, they are either not broken in or they are upside down.
So you’re saying brake more aggressively or do it more than 5 times? Also I’m doing these rolling stops back to back I get up to 40 mph then brake to a rolling stop then back up to 40 then back to a rolling stop and I do that 5 times then drive around for 15 minutes while using the brakes as little as possible and then do it all again.

Last edited:
So you’re saying break more aggressively or do it more than 5 times? Also I’m doing these rolling stops back to back I get up to 40 mph then break to a rolling stop then back up to 40 then back to a rolling stop and I do that 5 times then drive around for 15 minutes while using the brakes as little as possible and then do it all again.
Do the 5-7 stops then cool down as much as you can, repeat and at each stop, you are braking hard enough to try and lock them up without actually locking them up.

I did this with my Camry with power stop rotors and ceramic pads. 30 stops, 35-5 mph with 60 second cool downs. Harder than you think but they bit harder and harder each time. No noise.