Blown 4.0 engine: Any suggestions on crate replacements?

Ricgowan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The Hulk (2001 Forest Green Sahara) developed severe noise that I suspect was piston slap a week or so ago, and last night it died on the freeway on the way home from work. Had it towed to local shop I trust, who called this afternoon and said motor was blown (no real details in the voice mail).

232,000 miles on the body, but the frame is in good shape and I've got a bunch of parts lined up waiting for warmer weather. I enjoy just tinkering on the damn thing, and in the 10 months I've owned it, I've come to realize I'll probably never sell it. So, I'm thinking a crate motor is my next step. Looking for advice, horror stories, recommendations, etc. Thanks!

I truly relate to enjoying tinkering on it ...if it's a keeper, a crate motor from Jasper Engines would be a good consideration, and a LUK clutch while it's out if it's a manual.

I truly relate to enjoying tinkering on it ...if it's a keeper, a crate motor from Jasper Engines would be a good consideration, and a LUK clutch while it's out if it's a manual.
I’ll be following this as I’ll probably need a long block soon.

Reactions: Ricgowan
The clutch was tight, and definitely in the list of stuff to get to, "eventually". It will certainly be easier once all the bell housing bolts are new. I don't have the heated space to do the engine swap myself, so I'll have a shop do that now and add a LUK kit to the summer pile o' upgrades.

Reactions: AndyG
I do not have first hand experience, but have a buddy who had service from Jasper that was above and beyond expectations. Should (when) I ever need to replace the engine in my own Jeep, they will be my first call.

Just to expand a bit, this friend of mine purchased a CJ that had a Jasper crate installed in it when he bought it. After getting it home, he discovered an oil leak - I want to say it was a rear main, but I'm not 100%. He called Jasper to get more information about the engine to be sure he got the correct part before replacing it. They offered to just send him a new short block and to cover the cost of replacing the engine. Since he was doing the work himself, they cut him a check for the labor. He got a new short block and got paid to put it in the Jeep himself.

I've had the opposite experience of the above with Jasper (3 5.3L Chevy V8s within a year on a family member's vehicle) but my advice would be either get a used factory engine you can hear run, or check with local engine builders with what they use. Many of the local shops have a guy they recommend or a specific reman company.

I've heard of Jasper telling customers the 0331 head cracking issues on some 99-2001 4.0L's is a made up issue that is maintenance related, so just that would steer me away from them personally.

I've had the opposite experience of the above with Jasper (3 5.3L Chevy V8s within a year on a family member's vehicle) but my advice would be either get a used factory engine you can hear run, or check with local engine builders with what they use. Many of the local shops have a guy they recommend or a specific reman company.

I've heard of Jasper telling customers the 0331 head cracking issues on some 99-2001 4.0L's is a made up issue that is maintenance related, so just that would steer me away from them personally.
I've had similar experiences with Jasper products.
Most aftermarket warranty companies will not cover a GM replacement engine. They either want a used junkyard motor or Jasper.

How about something like this?
Maybe you meant something different by blown motor.
Question about the Jasper engines. Can you buy them from Jasper or do you have to get them installed by an authorized supplier?
I think the warranty only applies if one of their people install it. Anyone know the answer to that one?

th.jpg

Is it your daily driver and you need it running asap? Are you capable of swapping it yourself?

If able, I suggest looking for a used motor to throw in it, then build a stroker based on your current motor. Because stroker. And you won't be in a hurry with a running motor in it. And because stroker.

How about something like this?
Maybe you meant something different by blown motor.
Question about the Jasper engines. Can you buy them from Jasper or do you have to get them installed by an authorized supplier?
I think the warranty only applies if one of their people install it. Anyone know the answer to that one?

View attachment 220213
They require the engines to be purchased through an "installer" which is really just any ASE certified shop. The warranty covers installation labor if it is a defect with their engine. In the case of my family member's Silverado, it was quite difficult for the local small indy shop to deal with them.

The problem really isn't Jasper themselves, it's the process. A lot of these places get in engine cores, replace the parts that are bad, spray some paint on it and ship it. You know the luck people have with box store re-man alternators? Think of that but on a larger scale. There was a guy on I believe the Jeep Stroker engines forum who tore down a Jasper rebuild and it had different sized pistons and bearings in a few of the bores. My bet is they tore it down, and only replaced what had excessive wear. Personally, I'd trust a good used factory-built 4.0L that I could hear run over some of these re-man engines. If you do buy a re-man engine, make sure it has a good warranty and read the fine print.

Is it your daily driver and you need it running asap? Are you capable of swapping it yourself?

If able, I suggest looking for a used motor to throw in it, then build a stroker based on your current motor. Because stroker. And you won't be in a hurry with a running motor in it. And because stroker.
It's not my DD, and I *could* do the swap myself, but stroker doesn't interest me (blasphemy, I know. Sorry!). And, it's freaking freezing here now. No way am I trying a swap in an unheated garage on what is essentially a big toy.

Taking JeepGuy03's advice, it jibes with what my local reman shop says. They'll put in a Jasper if I really want it, but they have their own line of rebuilts that are $1.5K cheaper, and I can pick which water pump, oil pump, spark plugs, etc I want.
Plus, the warranty seems easier, since it's just his shop to deal with.

I know this is probably late but I had great success with ATK. Supposedly, they are a remanufacturer and actually gave me a print out on what was done on the long block.

Went with Jasper, and so far very happy. They replaced water pump, oil pump, all hoses (which cleared my CEL for small vac leak) and one motor mount (knocked that off my to-do list as well). It ran great for a couple days, but then developed a stumble and hard start. Got me right back in and found an injector that (I think) had bad O-ring. Runs so smooth and quiet now, I can't believe it.

Had them look at the clutch while they had the motor out, and they said it looked fine, so THAT'S off my list as well. They did replace the pilot bearing, and the shifting is much easier and smoother.

All in all, can't recommend them enough, especially since the 5-year warranty is nation wide. If I blow it up in 2022 at TJ Fest II, I won't have to tow it home!

Went with Jasper, and so far very happy. They replaced water pump, oil pump, all hoses (which cleared my CEL for small vac leak) and one motor mount (knocked that off my to-do list as well). It ran great for a couple days, but then developed a stumble and hard start. Got me right back in and found an injector that (I think) had bad O-ring. Runs so smooth and quiet now, I can't believe it.

Had them look at the clutch while they had the motor out, and they said it looked fine, so THAT'S off my list as well. They did replace the pilot bearing, and the shifting is much easier and smoother.

All in all, can't recommend them enough, especially since the 5-year warranty is nation wide. If I blow it up in 2022 at TJ Fest II, I won't have to tow it home!
What was the ballpark price for this?

Hey glad you had a good experience, I too put a Jasper in my Jeep when the engine died.
I got the same parts replaced myself I had to take it in for one or two adjustments and the car has run fine since, I just got my 2nd oil change done on it this month.