Bluetooth head unit and phone calls?

Alex M.

Supporting Member
Anyone have a Bluetooth head unit on their TJ?

Is it hard for people to hear you when talking to them over the mic and speakers in the Jeep? I know jeeps aren't the quietest car so I wanted to ask before dropping money on a Bluetooth head unit.

I heard that it's really good. My friend actually sells them, so he tells me about how good they are. I'll have him come on here and discuss it.

I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other but I was impressed how well I could hear using the Bluetooth cell phone system in my 2012 Sport.

I'm deaf in one ear and can't hear out of the other but I was impressed how well I could hear using the Bluetooth cell phone system in my 2012 Sport.

I suspect it's better in a JK than it is a TJ. The TJs are quite a bit louder inside versus the JK which is more quiet. I'd be interested to compare it though!

I suspect it's better in a JK than it is a TJ. The TJs are quite a bit louder inside versus the JK which is more quiet. I'd be interested to compare it though!
I wish I had the energy to do an interior sound deadening upgrade like in this Second Skin video.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I have an aftermarket system in my TJ. Right now i'm using the built in microphone on the head unit and when i'm stopped its fine and I can talk to people but when i'm on the highway then it gets a little loud and the other people cant hear me well. I recently bought a microphone on ebay that will plug into the back of the unit and i'm gonna mount it above my rear view mirror so i'll let you know how it is once its installed hopefully this weekend. The headunit I have is the BOSS BV7949B. It was relatively cheap and is pretty decent. I have a backup and front camera system and the RCA inputs from the cameras plug right into it. Its also got a touchscreen and some nice features.

BV7949B_MAIN.JPG

I have an aftermarket system in my TJ. Right now i'm using the built in microphone on the head unit and when i'm stopped its fine and I can talk to people but when i'm on the highway then it gets a little loud and the other people cant hear me well. I recently bought a microphone on ebay that will plug into the back of the unit and i'm gonna mount it above my rear view mirror so i'll let you know how it is once its installed hopefully this weekend. The headunit I have is the BOSS BV7949B. It was relatively cheap and is pretty decent. I have a backup and front camera system and the RCA inputs from the cameras plug right into it. Its also got a touchscreen and some nice features.

I've got a head unit with the external microphone plugged into mine and it doesn't help to much. Like you said, at idle and low speeds it's fine but even with the hard top and full doors it's still not the best. Of course with the top off and doors off then it's just worthless!

Ya lol they are hardcore off-road vehicles I don't think they were ever intended to be as quiet as a Mercedes ;)

Agreed! It's good enough for what it is, but I never expected this thing to be quiet like a Lexus or something.

Interesting topic. I bought and installed a Bluetooth unit in last LJ. I have Bluetooth in company car and wife's F150 so though, hell ya I need this in my jeep. Pretty much a waste of money lol. Good luck trying to use it when the top is off, the bikini top is on or even the soft or hard top on going down the road. Won't make that mistake again. This LJ has the stock radio/cd/whatever still in it and will probably stay there. If it was a DD, I could see changing it out, but for a limited use toy, I don't get much use out of a radio crawling around in Moab or Ouray trails.

I have one on my LJ and the Bluetooth feature is completely useless. The Jeep is simply too loud for people on the other end to hear you well.

^^ this ^^

Maybe with a hard top and sound deadening.

If you can hear REALLY well with a phone to your ear then maybe.

Reactions: Chris
I too have been contemplating this. I updated my head unit to one with bluetooth, but mainly for music purposes. It came with a mic for calling, but i never hooked it up because I thought it may be too loud. I guess I wouldn't have anything in trying it out though. Good project for this evening.

Coming from a guy who owns a Bluetooth head unit, I can tell you that the hands-free calling is pretty much worthless and less you have your hardtop on.

Still, it's a cool feature to have if you ever use it.

I guess i am lucky to live in an area where most places don't get cell coverage. On a side note, never in a million years would have thought that I would see people talking about phone calls in a jeep. /mindblown

Reactions: Ron505
Just got this bad boy.
051B814D-9CD9-408A-A798-C144EA1D8831.jpg

Long story short, i had to get a new headunit. So long Kenwood. Three Kenwoods (actually four considering what PO of the jeep had in it) and it's time to say goodbye. I was Sony before that. Never owned an Alpine. Thought about it but never wanted to pay full price (can't find discounted Alpine from an Authorized Reseller). Decided to support the little guy and go retail. Won't be using the call features. I gotta unhinge from phonecalls and texting use while driving. Music. Well that's another thing for me!