Body lift and motor mount lift install help

Are you saying the engine is tilted forward? Then you need to jack from a place that counters the tilt. Be safe and use another jack if you can.

Any suggestions as to where to jack the engine that doesn't run the risk of breaking something? I had been jacking from the oil pan (using a wood block to distribute weight) but it sounds like the bell housing is better. If it's tilted forward where should I jack to counteract?

Any suggestions as to where to jack the engine that doesn't run the risk of breaking something? I had been jacking from the oil pan (using a wood block to distribute weight) but it sounds like the bell housing is better. If it's tilted forward where should I jack to counteract?

The engine is still tethered to the transmission mount. So, it will always pivot around that point regardless of where you put the jack. The only other control you have is how the engine will roll.

This job is simply not doable. Now my jack won’t adjust down and I’m no closer to being able to get the through bolt done on the driver side. Jack is stuck in the up position and I don’t even know how to get this thing out of my garage. What an unmitigated disaster.

This job is simply not doable. Now my jack won’t adjust down and I’m no closer to being able to get the through bolt done on the driver side. Jack is stuck in the up position and I don’t even know how to get this thing out of my garage. What an unmitigated disaster.

It has been a while, but did you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the transmission mount to the skid plate? I don't have the stock skid anymore, but I thought those are slotted to allow for some adjustment. Just throwing out ideas for what could be binding things up.

It is probably unlikely, but there has to be some explanation for what is going on.

Sorry @RMETeeJay, just noticed you said the same thing!

Last edited:

Pictures might help. I know you want to get this done, so the quicker we see some pictures the quicker we can help. You'll need pics of the motor mount your having trouble with, the one that is already installed, the location of the jack, the transfer case skid bolts, the front axle, and anything else that has seemingly got involved here.

Reactions: Kerndone
Ok I’ll take some when I get back from the store. I got the drivers side through bolt in by taking the engine mount bracket off again and installing the through bolt first, and then reattaching the mount bracket. Problem is I could only get one of the three mount bracket bolts to attach.

Engine Mount Support Bracket 1.png

Engine Mount Support Bracket 2.png

So that's the driver side engine mount support bracket. It's supposed to be attached to the block by three bolts, but as you can see I'm only able to thread the bottom bolt after I spent a couple hours shoving the engine around like I had a grudge. I'm guessing a lift would make it easier to see how badly I'm off the mark with the other two bolts. Everything else is now secured. I drove it around for like 10 or 12 miles with no issues other than I forgot to reattach my air intake sensor. I still have the body lift to do but I don't have the spirit for that right now.

I would not drive around with only one bolt in that bracket. Those bolts are somewhat prone to breaking, and if that one breaks, your engine goes sideways and damages lots of stuff.

On mine, I didn't remove those three bracket bolts, I just loosened them up enough to the bracket could move around fairly freely. That was enough to get the main long bolt through the motor mount. Perhaps you can remove the long bolt, then loosely get all three bracket bolts well started, and then wriggle things around while you try to get the long bolt back in.

Reactions: Kerndone and JMT
I would not drive around with only one bolt in that bracket. Those bolts are somewhat prone to breaking, and if that one breaks, your engine goes sideways and damages lots of stuff.

On mine, I didn't remove those three bracket bolts, I just loosened them up enough to the bracket could move around fairly freely. That was enough to get the main long bolt through the motor mount. Perhaps you can remove the long bolt, then loosely get all three bracket bolts well started, and then wriggle things around while you try to get the long bolt back in.

That's a good idea I'm just exhausted so I'm going to take a break. I won't drive it again until I can get it all secured.

Reactions: Kerndone and JMT
I know we had to remove one of those brackets but I think it was the passenger side. Having one person trying to insert the bolt while another is manipulating the jack and engine is definitely the way to go. I understand your frustration.

Reactions: Love Tractor
That's a good idea I'm just exhausted so I'm going to take a break. I won't drive it again until I can get it all secured.

Loosen all the Motor Mount bracket bolts going into the block (don’t remove any of them), and then jack and move the engine around till you can get all the bolts in the block.

For the body and motor mount lift see this timeless video install:

Reactions: Love Tractor