Body mount bolt snapped

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Was installing a body lift in my jeep and everything was going smoothly until I got to the last bolt I needed to remove for the body. My milwaukee impact couldn’t get it out on the highest setting and I should’ve taken that as a sign. I grabbed a breaker bar and started turning and the bolt snapped right in half. How should I go about this? I cannot weld so welding is not an option

Drill out the bolt and nutsert.
Replace bolt and nutsert.

Sorry, I was thinking of the trans. skid bolts.
Which one broke?

they shouldn't all be out..... leave 1 side in loose or risk moving it and fighting it back.

this^
I was just loosening them all but none had been removed.

It is the passenger side mount closest to the front.

image.jpg

Looks like it snapped pretty high up on the bolt but i’m still hoping there’s enough sticking to put a vise grip on.
Should I install the rest of the lift and then try to remove this one while the lift gives me that 1.25 inch of space?

I was just loosening them all but none had been removed.

It is the passenger side mount closest to the front.

View attachment 333046
Looks like it snapped pretty high up on the bolt but i’m still hoping there’s enough sticking to put a vise grip on.
Should I install the rest of the lift and then try to remove this one while the lift gives me that 1.25 inch of space?
Isn't there access to the backside of that nut? I think that's the one on the toe board. If so heat the crap out of it and penetrating oil then rock it back and forth a little at a time

Isn't there access to the backside of that nut? I think that's the one on the toe board. If so heat the crap out of it and penetrating oil then rock it back and forth a little at a time
I think you’re thinking of the rear side. You can see the rear side but but the front side isn’t accessible.

Unfortunately there isn’t enough bolt sticking out for me to grab with vise grips so I will have to drill it out.

Also, I can’t seem to lift my body high enough to get the shock mount body lift puck in. How high can I lift my body without damaging something? I thought that lifting it too high may be putting tension on the loosened bolts on the other side.

there is a bolt almost right above (forward and above) the body mount that likely penetrates that cavern. the fender support frame bolt, should just be able to pull that 1 right there and sneak a straw nozzle in.........i'd think.

I think you’re thinking of the rear side. You can see the rear side but but the front side isn’t accessible.

Unfortunately there isn’t enough bolt sticking out for me to grab with vise grips so I will have to drill it out.

Also, I can’t seem to lift my body high enough to get the shock mount body lift puck in. How high can I lift my body without damaging something? I thought that lifting it too high may be putting tension on the loosened bolts on the other side.
You can lift one side quite a bit. Remove the center grill mount before you do.

I also plan on installing a MML. Besides the advantage for a possible tummy tuck way down the road is there any reason I would need the MML with a 1.25 inch body lift? I installed the body lift for proper clearance for my 33 inch tires. I won’t have vibrations without the MML because I have the longer driveshaft (LJ). Is there any problems with no mml and a body lift? These parts are coming from my old TJ which needed both to get rid of vibes.

Will attempt to drill out the broken bolt tomorrow. What do you guys think about cutting the tub above the bolt, and then cutting the welded nut off with a dremel. Then buying a new bolt and sticking a nut on top without tack welding (I can’t weld) but then leaving the hole for access in case I need to service the bolt in the future. I hate the idea of cutting a hole in my tub though and don’t know where I’d start. Also will a hole like that in my tub cause any rust or other issues?

The reason I am even considering this instead of drilling is because all the drill bits I own are my fathers old drill bits which are 12+ years old and kind of suck now. They barely drill through anything. I could go pick up a cobalt drill bit of the right size possibly

Will attempt to drill out the broken bolt tomorrow. What do you guys think about cutting the tub above the bolt, and then cutting the welded nut off with a dremel. Then buying a new bolt and sticking a nut on top without tack welding (I can’t weld) but then leaving the hole for access in case I need to service the bolt in the future. I hate the idea of cutting a hole in my tub though and don’t know where I’d start. Also will a hole like that in my tub cause any rust or other issues?

The reason I am even considering this instead of drilling is because all the drill bits I own are my fathers old drill bits which are 12+ years old and kind of suck now. They barely drill through anything. I could go pick up a cobalt drill bit of the right size possibly
Buy some new drill bits.

I also plan on installing a MML. Besides the advantage for a possible tummy tuck way down the road is there any reason I would need the MML with a 1.25 inch body lift? I installed the body lift for proper clearance for my 33 inch tires. I won’t have vibrations without the MML because I have the longer driveshaft (LJ). Is there any problems with no mml and a body lift? These parts are coming from my old TJ which needed both to get rid of vibes.
Yes, you can run without the MML, and shouldn't have any vibes with an LJ. I didn't.
You'll more than likely have to move the fan shroud without it.

Have you loosened all 11 bolts?

Still haven’t gotten around to that broken bolt. Is it okay to drive the jeep with all the other 10 bolts in until I can drill it out?

Still haven’t gotten around to that broken bolt. Is it okay to drive the jeep with all the other 10 bolts in until I can drill it out?

I say yes. Your insurance company may have a contradictory view if there is any type of incident. Also: when you get that bolt out, I suggest taking a look up inside the torque box with a camera and check just how badly rusted the box is. You should check the driver's side as well. Hopefully it's all good, but current evidence skews my opinion towards a no.